Paramount drops BluRay, adopts HD-DVD
Aug 22, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #76 of 113
from IMDB...

Paramount and DreamWorks garnered "incentives" valued at $150 million to agree to release their films in high-definition home video exclusively in the HD DVD format, the New York Times and Daily Variety reported today (Wednesday), citing no sources. Both publications said that the HD DVD camp had agreed to "promotional considerations" amounting to $50 million for Paramount and $100 million for DreamWorks over the next 18 months. The Times indicated that an undisclosed amount of cash also exchanged hands. Variety's revelation was buried in an article about director Michael Bay's flip-flop over the two film companies' decision. Bay had originally posted a message titled "Paramount pisses me off!" on his personal website in which he remarked: "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks!" He vowed not to direct Transformers 2 if it would not be released in the competing Blu-ray format, which currently outsells HD DVD by three to one. By the end of the day, however, Bay had backtracked, writing, "I overreacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD. ... I like what I heard." Fellow director Steven Spielberg remained unconvinced, balking at the Paramount/DreamWorks deal (as he did with Universal's exclusive deal with the HD DVD camp). A spokesman indicated that his films will continue to be released exclusively in the Blu-ray format, regardless of the studio for which they are made. DreamWorks marketing chief Marvin Levy said Tuesday that Spielberg continues to be a "big supporter of Blu-ray."

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #77 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The director behind such films as 'Bad Boys', 'Pearl Harbor', and the recent 'Transformers' movie is upset by Paramount's decision to drop support for Blu-ray. On a post on his personal web forum entitled, "Paramount pisses me off!", Michael Bay says, "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!""

Thanks Paramount...

Good. That encourages original content.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #79 of 113
Aug 22, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #80 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the average consumer, once the emotional tie is overcome with regard to "something you hold in your hand," I do see (for media distribution) discs going the way of the dodo. I still think we'll need some form of portable non volatile mass storage media for archival use. Blu-Ray is the best on the market for now.

But by the time BR might be financially in league with HD backups/USB drives/etc......we might have an even better technology: ie holographic chips, etc.

One of the reasons I haven't jumped on the HD disc bandwagon yet is there's just not enough content for me to invest money into. There are very few movies I want to own.....from either Blu Ray or HD DVD. Sure, there are a handful that might be fun to own to be bowled by their picture quality. But to spend at least $400 on a good quality player for one??

I was thinking I would pick up a Toshiba HD DVD player when they came down in price enough (the ones that support TrueHD 5.1 too). I haven't gotten one because right now I'm spending a lot of money on buying a house. Those sorts of things take priority over spending $500 so that I can see 300 in HD
icon10.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #82 of 113
Quote:

You don't have to wait at all. HD is streamed real-time on demand to your home via cable.

Cool, firsthand experience with VOD. In my town (Cox country), things haven't advanced so rapidly.

I'm curious as to what audio formats are packed with the streamed HD movies? What is the pricing if you don't mind?

And relating back to Paramount and their grab the money and run directive, considering the above information, why should the studio's care? No matter the delivery method, disc, drive whatever, they'll get a piece.

I really wonder how long the studios will stay committed to the new formats if the sale's slice doesn't grow many times over, as in at least 20.

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #83 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious as to what audio formats are packed with the streamed HD movies? What is the pricing if you don't mind?

Here in the ATL, on demand is part of your cable package. HD programing all tends to be 5.1 DD. The basic HD channels aren't expensive (they're included in your digital package). Once you get premium channels, you also get their HD channel and on demand HD programs (if they have them). That's the Comcast system at least.

Still not impressed with the selection of HD content though......I would like to see more HD channels.

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #84 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dream come true.

Not true.

"Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three blu-ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!"

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #85 of 113
Quote:

You don't have to wait at all. HD is streamed real-time on demand to your home via cable. Comcast has been freeing up bandwidth space for well over a year to accommodate this and it works as advertized.

Problem with that though is you can only watch what the cable company is offering, not the whole HD catalog. But, yeah, I do enjoy HD channels when they have something I want.
cool.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #86 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true.

Please don't burst my bubble. It was such a nice bubble. Oh, Optimus...

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #87 of 113
Quote:

"....

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!"

Saw 300 on HD, or got another royalty check from Transformers 1?
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #88 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, and the br fanboys say that hd-dvd guys are desperate

next they will announce that buying an hd-dvd is supporting terrorism!!! lol

It does!!!...kidding
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
I think we just found out who the real fanboys are in this thread.

[size=xx-small]Me thinks neither of the formats has to worry too much about you guys. Sounds like these lovable, good natured corporations have you in their pocket.
tongue.gif

I'm a fanboy without a doubt. At first, I was an HD-DVD fanboy. Then things didn't look so hot on that side, so I turned into a Blu-Ray fanboy.

With this latest news, me thinks it's time to become a universal player fanboy.

I was thinking of something else. Let's say someone's been thinking of buying a HD player last July. They just saw and loved Transformers. They decide on a Blu-Ray deck thinking Transformers will be out around Christmas for their chosen format along with Spiderman 3. Yeah, this guy likes bad movies.

Not now. Paramount just said screw you to those people. Michael Bay has a point.[/size]

I bought a PS3. I am a BluRay fan boy whether I like it or not, but I do like it.
280smile.gif

Quote:

Gee, I wonder when Sony will release a firmware update that will enable HD-DVD playback on the PS3??
biggrin.gif

The PS3 would need the laser hardware modified. I am pretty sure it cannot with a simple firmware update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from the beginning i've been saying that the real winner in the HDDVD/BLURAY format war would be DVD; they just have a product that most people don't want; they're not willing to pay for it, they don't have hdtv's, they just don't care; neither of these formats will succeed, don't "invest" thinking one of them will replace dvd; it isn't going to happen; DVD will be the last great video disc before downloadable-EVERYTHING, bluray and hddvd might be fun for now, but they won't last, no way

People have been dooming the newspaper for years. It is still here (for now at least). DVD-R and DVD+R were bitter rivals, yet they are both still here as well. I agree downloading movies will get big. However, I don't think it will ever completely replace physical discs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're missing the point; of course it looks good; it's just too damn EXPENSIVE; the average headfi-er or AVS-er has a significantly higher than average income, i have no doubt; trying to decipher trends by catching the vibe on a geek website is a quick way to come up with a completely incorrect assessment of the level of interest in the culture at large

[size=xx-small]DVD changed things; you could ship it easily; no rewinding, chapters, it's small, and heck it EVEN looks better, special features, all that ****

br and hddvd do one thing and that is increased REZ and sound quality; it might be enough for us technophiles but it's not nearly enough for most people, and often they just can't come close to affording it

the thoughts on cable-on-demand and the like are where the money is it; whether it's from a cable provider, or internet streaming, or whatever, that's where we're heading; all we need is a bit faster download speeds and some clever, universally intuitive delivery mechanism; apple, are you listening? (no you're not with your silly little ipod video downloads)

who wants to go out and rent a movie? not me; who wants to get it shipped? no way; who wants it RIGHT ****ING NOW ? yes, there ya go; now now now, intuitive, easy, affordable, fast streaming; xbox-video, comcast, whatever; we really do need a jump in bandwidth though to make it really sing, but i don't think hddvd/br will fill the gap untill we have the speed we really need, it'll be the good ole dvd; not that both formats will die entirely, lots of people will dig them, but not nearly enough, and they'll fight a losing battle along with the great fallen god called SONY

anyway, i'm out, RIP silly HD formats[/size]

I beg to differ. When someone gets their tax return in the mail, an advance on their pay, some unexpected money, etc. what do they typically want to go out and purchase? Odds are an HD LCD TV that's what. People usually surge for select high ticket items and possibly none more common then a shinny new TV. "Hey guys come over to my house and see the game over my new rug and foot sofa." Yeah right. lol It is more like, "Hey guys come over and watch the game on my 72" HD TV!"
eggosmile.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #89 of 113
Quote:

Problem with that though is you can only watch what the cable company is offering, not the whole HD catalog. But, yeah, I do enjoy HD channels when they have something I want.
cool.gif

Very true. I do believe their catalog is growing slowly. Some day, probably in the not too distant future, they may have the complete HD catalog, or something very close to that. Storage prices are getting cheaper by the minute and it's not datea that has to be backed up. Pretty simple infrastructure...

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #90 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The PS3 would need the laser hardware modified. I am pretty sure it cannot with a simple firmware update.

My PS3 can play CD's, DVD's, DVDA's, SACD's, and BD's. What hardware would have to be modified to play HD-DVD's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back