Paramount drops BluRay, adopts HD-DVD
Aug 22, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #61 of 113
Aug 22, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #62 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The director behind such films as 'Bad Boys', 'Pearl Harbor', and the recent 'Transformers' movie is upset by Paramount's decision to drop support for Blu-ray. On a post on his personal web forum entitled, "Paramount pisses me off!", Michael Bay says, "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!""

Thanks Paramount...

Well, now he's saying. "I just drank kool-aid. blah blah blah... Back to transformer 2."
cool.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #64 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok you heard him everybody. Stay Tru Blu!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo
That article is fanboyism at its most extreme.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
wow, and the br fanboys say that hd-dvd guys are desperate

very_evil_smiley.gif
I think we just found out who the real fanboys are in this thread.

Me thinks neither of the formats has to worry too much about you guys. Sounds like these lovable, good natured corporations have you in their pocket.
tongue.gif

I'm a fanboy without a doubt. At first, I was an HD-DVD fanboy. Then things didn't look so hot on that side, so I turned into a Blu-Ray fanboy.

With this latest news, me thinks it's time to become a universal player fanboy.

I was thinking of something else. Let's say someone's been thinking of buying a HD player last July. They just saw and loved Transformers. They decide on a Blu-Ray deck thinking Transformers will be out around Christmas for their chosen format along with Spiderman 3. Yeah, this guy likes bad movies.

Not now. Paramount just said screw you to those people. Michael Bay has a point.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #65 of 113
I haven't really picked a winner myself. Once I moved to DVD on a 22-inch monitor (office doubles as a personal entertainment center) I stopped thinking about picture quality. I care more about perfection in sound, I suppose.

I'm just wondering whether the Sony/Philips Blu-Ray and Toshiba HD-DVD camps are failing to predict what consumers will want and have access to in several years. When Sony came out with the MiniDisc, I was ready for it to be the next big thing. Then along came the MP3 player and the MiniDisc flopped. I think people hated VHS and cassettes for a long time before their replacements were unleashed on us. We were so sick of what we had that when a sensible format came along we all jumped on it. Is anyone sick of DVD? Do either of the new HD formats really offer anything so completely new that everyone will have to have one? What came after the DVD that excited people? The free illegal download. That one was so exciting that people didn't care about the terrible picture quality or the small size. Getting it instantly, getting it early, and getting it without a sense of being ripped off were some pretty appealing factors. I'm really not sure what's around the corner, but when it comes to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, may the one with less of an Inquisitional take on DRM win.

I will go on record as saying that BD-ROM sounds awfully stupid. Also, lack of backwards compatibility seems like a big mistake to me.

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #66 of 113
Gee, I wonder when Sony will release a firmware update that will enable HD-DVD playback on the PS3??
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #67 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will go on record as saying that BD-ROM sounds awfully stupid. Also, lack of backwards compatibility seems like a big mistake to me.

What "backwards" compatibility are you referring to?

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #68 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is interesting......but I think this pretty much seals both Blu-Ray and HD DVD's death. Unless there's going to be a difference in last quarter sales, neither format really seems to be moving full steam in making a dent with DVD sales. Maybe one of these formats can stay afloat long enough to find lucrative sales. Time will only tell
biggrin.gif

from the beginning i've been saying that the real winner in the HDDVD/BLURAY format war would be DVD; they just have a product that most people don't want; they're not willing to pay for it, they don't have hdtv's, they just don't care; neither of these formats will succeed, don't "invest" thinking one of them will replace dvd; it isn't going to happen; DVD will be the last great video disc before downloadable-EVERYTHING, bluray and hddvd might be fun for now, but they won't last, no way

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #69 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody understands until they come see my 60" SXRD in action
wink.gif

you're missing the point; of course it looks good; it's just too damn EXPENSIVE; the average headfi-er or AVS-er has a significantly higher than average income, i have no doubt; trying to decipher trends by catching the vibe on a geek website is a quick way to come up with a completely incorrect assessment of the level of interest in the culture at large

DVD changed things; you could ship it easily; no rewinding, chapters, it's small, and heck it EVEN looks better, special features, all that ****

br and hddvd do one thing and that is increased REZ and sound quality; it might be enough for us technophiles but it's not nearly enough for most people, and often they just can't come close to affording it

the thoughts on cable-on-demand and the like are where the money is it; whether it's from a cable provider, or internet streaming, or whatever, that's where we're heading; all we need is a bit faster download speeds and some clever, universally intuitive delivery mechanism; apple, are you listening? (no you're not with your silly little ipod video downloads)

who wants to go out and rent a movie? not me; who wants to get it shipped? no way; who wants it RIGHT ****ING NOW ? yes, there ya go; now now now, intuitive, easy, affordable, fast streaming; xbox-video, comcast, whatever; we really do need a jump in bandwidth though to make it really sing, but i don't think hddvd/br will fill the gap untill we have the speed we really need, it'll be the good ole dvd; not that both formats will die entirely, lots of people will dig them, but not nearly enough, and they'll fight a losing battle along with the great fallen god called SONY

anyway, i'm out, RIP silly HD formats

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #70 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]you're missing the point; of course it looks good; it's just too damn EXPENSIVE; the average headfi-er or AVS-er has a significantly higher than average income, i have no doubt; trying to decipher trends by catching the vibe on a geek website is a quick way to come up with a completely incorrect assessment of the level of interest in the culture at large

DVD changed things; you could ship it easily; no rewinding, chapters, it's small, and heck it EVEN looks better, special features, all that ****

br and hddvd do one thing and that is increased REZ and sound quality; it might be enough for us technophiles but it's not nearly enough for most people, and often they just can't come close to affording it

the thoughts on cable-on-demand and the like are where the money is it; whether it's from a cable provider, or internet streaming, or whatever, that's where we're heading; all we need is a bit faster download speeds and some clever, universally intuitive delivery mechanism; apple, are you listening? (no you're not with your silly little ipod video downloads)

who wants to go out and rent a movie? not me; who wants to get it shipped? no way; who wants it RIGHT ****ING NOW ? yes, there ya go; now now now, intuitive, easy, affordable, fast streaming; xbox-video, comcast, whatever; we really do need a jump in bandwidth though to make it really sing, but i don't think hddvd/br will fill the gap untill we have the speed we really need, it'll be the good ole dvd; not that both formats will die entirely, lots of people will dig them, but not nearly enough, and they'll fight a losing battle along with the great fallen god called SONY

anyway, i'm out, RIP silly HD formats[/size]

Ahem, that's two things.
wink.gif

You may very well be right. Some people like to have "something" to hold in their hand. Once that one single emotional tie is gone, woah, boy howdy, get out of the way and watch the downloads fly. Comcast already provides HD on demand, which works quite well, and it will only get better. Blu-ray at 1080p still looks better than cable's 1080i but for many programs, there is no obvious difference in PQ.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #71 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
paramount/dreamworks are getting $150 million in incentives for going hd-dvd exclusive
wink.gif

but not enough, not enough; MS has spent a ridiculous amount of money attempting to once and for all kill the PS3 into obscurity; it's not entirely possible to do of course, the fans are far too numerous; but they've done a heck of a job; exclusives, extra content etc.

br and hddvd are just trading blows and not going for the kill; if you've ever read orson scott cards "ender's game" he talks about striking the first blow so the enemy can never fight back, these two are just ***** footing around the real deathmatch, and they'll fade into obscurity because of it; BR is sony's lovechild and they are going to go down with that ship; they've become too internalized, too arrogant; hddvd is a cluster**** it'll continue to be a half-assed effort

all that being said, of course they look very sexy, i wouldn't mind having one, but it's just too damn expensive
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #73 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from the beginning i've been saying that the real winner in the HDDVD/BLURAY format war would be DVD; they just have a product that most people don't want; they're not willing to pay for it, they don't have hdtv's, they just don't care; neither of these formats will succeed, don't "invest" thinking one of them will replace dvd; it isn't going to happen; DVD will be the last great video disc before downloadable-EVERYTHING, bluray and hddvd might be fun for now, but they won't last, no way

I have no doubt that downloadable contents will have it's time, but you are looking at 10-20GB of data for high def contents and with today's progress in technology there's just no way people will wait 8 hours for it to download and watch one movie. I'm thinking it will be years and years until that technology is available to us unless someone invents something evolutionary that will broaden up the bandwidth of today's network capacity.

Even when that time comes, people will still want to have a physical copy on their hand rather than having it on hard drives. It just like owning an album vs. downloaded mp3.

Whatever the formats may be, HD contents on a disc WILL dominate the market once it gets more consumer friendly, and that's not far from today.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #74 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What "backwards" compatibility are you referring to?

My mistake. I had recently read something from 2005 in which some Toshiba rep cited backwards compatibility (DVD) as a difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_backwards_compatible

I see that this was either outdated or false information.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #75 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no doubt that downloadable contents will have it's time, but you are looking at 10-20GB of data for high def contents and with today's progress in technology there's just no way people will wait 8 hours for it to download and watch one movie. I'm thinking it will be years and years until that technology is available to us unless someone invents something evolutionary that will broaden up the bandwidth of today's network capacity.

Even when that time comes, people will still want to have a physical copy on their hand rather than having it on hard drives. It just like owning an album vs. downloaded mp3.

Whatever the formats may be, HD contents on a disc WILL dominate the market once it gets more consumer friendly, and that's not far from today.

You don't have to wait at all. HD is streamed real-time on demand to your home via cable. Comcast has been freeing up bandwidth space for well over a year to accommodate this and it works as advertized.

Random access video servers in their data centers handle it all seamlessly. The fast forward and reverse are a little laggy now and then, but like I say, it's getting better all the time. I've got literally hundreds of choices for HD movies and programs, most of which are free to me as a subscriber. 24/7, push button, instant access. They're actually getting closer to keeping pace with new releases all the time.

For the average consumer, once the emotional tie is overcome with regard to "something you hold in your hand," I do see (for media distribution) discs going the way of the dodo. I still think we'll need some form of portable non volatile mass storage media for archival use. Blu-Ray is the best on the market for now.

Just look at what's happened to the music industry. CD's are dying man, because of stuff like iTunes. I can certainly see DVD's going the same way. For right now, I love my Blu-Ray.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back