Paramount drops BluRay, adopts HD-DVD
Aug 24, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #106 of 113
yeah when poeple compare HD-DVD vs. bluray to DVD-A vs. SACD i laugh

CD audio vs "HD" audio is not going to be a major difference... anyone who thinks they can hear the whole range of a 192KHz recording (even a 96KHz recording) is full of the brown stuff... the differences are subtle (and more from going from 16bit to 24bit than anything else) and average joe is quite comfortable with 128Kbps coming out of his ibuds

where with DVD vs [HD format here] even a blind man can see the difference... not only is there a visual difference but i've noticed (at least on most of my HD-DVDs) that the audio is also better... especially when stuff goes boom... explosions sound more "hell yeah" than they do on the DVD versions of the same movies (i really noticed this on flags of our fathers during the shelling of suribachi)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very shortly, Ridley Scott is going to be releasing an ultimate boxed set of Blade Runner. That is one movie that I really want to own. I'm not sure if the complete set will be on HD.....but I do know that the new cut will be put on HD DVD and Blu Ray. If I have the extra spending money then.....I might actually get a HD DVD player then.

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-F...7923084&sr=8-7

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #108 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah when poeple compare HD-DVD vs. bluray to DVD-A vs. SACD i laugh

CD audio vs "HD" audio is not going to be a major difference... anyone who thinks they can hear the whole range of a 192KHz recording (even a 96KHz recording) is full of the brown stuff... the differences are subtle (and more from going from 16bit to 24bit than anything else) and average joe is quite comfortable with 128Kbps coming out of his ibuds

where with DVD vs [HD format here] even a blind man can see the difference... not only is there a visual difference but i've noticed (at least on most of my HD-DVDs) that the audio is also better... especially when stuff goes boom... explosions sound more "hell yeah" than they do on the DVD versions of the same movies (i really noticed this on flags of our fathers during the shelling of suribachi)

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-F...7923084&sr=8-7

ya please note that when i say DVD's are good enough, i mean that obviously the HD formats LOOK and usually SOUND better, but the DVD's look good enough for me to still enjoy what I am watching... i just dont think the cost of the players and disks are worth that difference yet, personally... but thats just my opinion, and opinion are like... well, you know
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #109 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya please note that when i say DVD's are good enough, i mean that obviously the HD formats LOOK and usually SOUND better, but the DVD's look good enough for me to still enjoy what I am watching... i just dont think the cost of the players and disks are worth that difference yet, personally... but thats just my opinion, and opinion are like... well, you know
biggrin.gif

DVD's still are great. They have a massive bitrate for mpeg2. However, on big TV's, the non-sharpened DVD's look almost blurry. The big close ups of people's heads and everything looks fine, but the backgrounds lack detail (unless artificial sharpening is introduced).

But DVD's still look GREAT on big TV's. Nothing compares to HD though. Once you see what it's capable of, that's it time to pull out the big guns and let the stack of DVD's take a more passive role
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #110 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just dont think the cost of the players and disks are worth that difference yet

what made me jump instead of wait was
1. already had an xbox360 so the player choice was obvious and cheap (in comparison)
2. recent price drop on the xbox 360 player
3. 5 free movies (just checked my selections on amazon... $102.75 total)

so if you count the cost of the 5 free movies (which i would have likely bought in HD anyway) i only paid $88.04 for the player... i've spent more than that on movies for it already

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #111 of 113
Quote:

what made me jump instead of wait was
1. already had an xbox360 so the player choice was obvious and cheap (in comparison)
2. recent price drop on the xbox 360 player
3. 5 free movies (just checked my selections on amazon... $102.75 total)

so if you count the cost of the 5 free movies (which i would have likely bought in HD anyway) i only paid $88.04 for the player... i've spent more than that on movies for it already

ya that seems to be the cheapest entry into HD... i already have a PC that i have hooked up to my TV that i use for playing back my DVD's and such... it meets the requirements for playing back HD-DVD content so i have been considering getting the x-box HD-DVD drive and just hooking it up to that since its just a regular USB drive...

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #112 of 113
Quote:

but i've noticed (at least on most of my HD-DVDs) that the audio is also better... especially when stuff goes boom... explosions sound more "hell yeah" than they do on the DVD versions of the same movies

Quote:

recent price drop on the xbox 360 player

Hmmmm...that seems to conflict. The 360 player only does Dolby Digital - the same plain jain compressed 5.1 format found on DVD's.

Unless, I'm mistaken, and you own a player other than 360.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back