Paradisea+ just arrived
Apr 8, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #61 of 103
For those of you worrying about Paradisea+ lacking bass, you shouldn't. I can tell you that Paradisea+ does offer very decent punchy bass. I'm still using the Sylvania 2C51 tube, the bass seems punchier than the stock GE 5670w, the mids are smoother, but I think the highs aren't as extended as the stock tube. Again, this may be due to the overall warmer presentation instead a lack in treble extension.

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #62 of 103
I'm not really worried about the Paradisea lacking bass. My main concern is detail. I'm running a SB3 through a Cambridge 640a integrated which doesn't have the tightest bass and most detailed sound out there. Basically what i'm looking for is a DAC that will add smoothness and warmth without making it sound flabby or muffled. It should be at least equal to the SB3 Burr Brown DAC in detail - right?
BTW - I ordered a WE396a from Tubesandmore. com also but haven't received it yet. I hope they don't pull a fast one on me too.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #63 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not really worried about the Paradisea lacking bass. My main concern is detail. I'm running a SB3 through a Cambridge 640a integrated which doesn't have the tightest bass and most detailed sound out there. Basically what i'm looking for is a DAC that will add smoothness and warmth without making it sound flabby or muffled. It should be at least equal to the SB3 Burr Brown DAC in detail - right?
BTW - I ordered a WE396a from Tubesandmore. com also but haven't received it yet. I hope they don't pull a fast one on me too.

The Paradisea will be quite a bit better then the stock Squeezebox DAC. I have a RedWineAudio modded SB and my Paradisea is still a notch above. If you use a stock SB with the Paradisea, make sure you have good cables between each and then it's your Cambridge that will be the weak link in your system. You wont be missing detail if you use highend IC cables.

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #64 of 103
Has anyone tried the Paradisea+ USB connection yet? I was reading about someone elses experience with the USB connection and he was saying that it is far superior to spdif. Anyone able to confirm or disagree with these results. I was thinking about standard version or picking up a used unit. But if the USB is vastly superior I will reconsider.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #65 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the Paradisea+ USB connection yet? I was reading about someone elses experience with the USB connection and he was saying that it is far superior to spdif. Anyone able to confirm or disagree with these results. I was thinking about standard version or picking up a used unit. But if the USB is vastly superior I will reconsider.

I didn't do much comparison, but I just hooked it up for kicks a while ago. Basically, only thing that I noticed was the DAC had more noise with the USB connection.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #66 of 103
i'm mainly using it with my NAD receiver and Totem Mite speakers through Paradisea+ USB connection to my pc. Listening with itune to mostly apple lossless and aac files. the quality is great. haven't been able to do any direct usb to optical or coaxial comparison. i had tried optical connection with my other setup. both sounded very decent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #67 of 103
I have been using the National tube for the past week or so, and I have to say, this thing pairs SO nicely with my Darths. That little bit of bass control the Darths need is given by this tube.

I've yet to really listen to the russian tubes, and I may swap them in for the next week, but I think the national is going to be my favorite of the bunch.

In either case, this surely is an upgrade over the Constantine+. I have not tried other 500-600$ DAC's, but I recommend this be a serious consideration in the price bracket. I love mine!

darth.gif
darth2.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #68 of 103
It seems it's either this (without USB) or the Apogee MiniDAC for me.
But I'm still a bit unsure. I'm just worried that it'll be to tuby if I pair this with a tube amp, such as an SP Extreme. But maybe my Grado will like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be following this thread for a while and see what happens.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #69 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by happybob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i just received the tube i ordered from tubesandmore.com yesterday. i thought i was getting a western electric 396a, but it actually turned out to be a we396a alternative. the one they sent me was the sylvania 2c51, which had also been mentioned in some paradisea thread as good sounding. maybe not as highly recommended as the authentic we 396a, but it's slightly cheaper and also has a more laid back "tubey" sound like the we396a.

I just received my order from tubesandmore.com. They sent me a Western Electric in plain white box with JW-2C51 markings on it.

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #70 of 103
Quote:

I just received my order from tubesandmore.com. They sent me a Western Electric in plain white box with JW-2C51 markings on it.

I contacted tubesandmore.com customer service regarding them sending me the wrong tube. They took care of it right away. A Western Electric 396a tube was sent out the next day without charge, and they told me to just keep the Sylvania 2C51 tube. Received the Western Electric 396a tube today, just finished swapping out the Sylvania not too long ago. Everything is working great. Below are my impression of each of the 3 tubes I have now. Again the associated equipments include NAD 701 Stereo Receiver, Totem Mite speakers, Windows XP machine running ITunes and Apple Lossless + ACC files connected to Paradisea+ via the USB cable that came with the DAC. The DAC is connected to receiver via a pair of IXOS RCA cable.

1. Stock GE 5687w tube: Decent performance overall. Decent extension in both treble and bass, with a fairly smooth mid. Good resolution and detail and a decent soundstage.

2. Sylvania 2C51 tube: This one is by far the smoothest sounding tube. It does make the music warmer and may have slightly less extension in the highs. Decent bass. Decent soundstage. Resolution and detail may be slightly less than the other two tubes, but again it could be due to the warmer overall characteristic of the sound. If you can't get enough the the "tubey" sound, this might be your best bet. It's makes music so smooth sounding that you won't even care about resolution and details. This is probably your best tube if your goal is to soften up an otherwise harsh sounding system.

3. Western Electric 396a tube: Similar in sound to GE 5687w, but one step up in details, resolution, smoothness, and extensions of highs and lows. Overall its sound is one step up from GE 5687w, but not drastically better. Where Western Electric 396a really separates itself from the other two is in the airiness of the sound and the larger soundstage. It seems to throw bigger soundstage and adds a layer of air to the sound.

I think the Western Electric 396a is definitely a more natural upgrade from the stock GE tube, but if you are looking for the ultimate smooth tubey sound, at least among the 3 tubes above, you probably want to give the Sylvania tube a try.

I was really considering selling the Paradisea+ since I already have the PS Audio Digital Link III, but the more I listen to the Paradisea+, the more I'm becoming addicted. It simply make all my music easier to listen to and adds a layer of sweetness to the sound. I think I will end up keep both DACs for now.

Highly recommended!

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #71 of 103
I read somewhere that some preferred the JW-2C51 to the 396a so it's no big deal. In addition to it I've got a Bendix 6385 plus the stock tube that will ship with the Paradisea. All I'm missing is the Paradisea. Where's that tax return???

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #72 of 103
Quote:

I read somewhere that some preferred the JW-2C51 to the 396a so it's no big deal. In addition to it I've got a Bendix 6385 plus the stock tube that will ship with the Paradisea. All I'm missing is the Paradisea. Where's that tax return???

You should also contact tubesandmore.com, they will send you the correct WE 396a tube free of charge.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #73 of 103
just wanna share with you guys some information i got from mhdt lab regarding tube rolling, when i emailed them for recommendation on which tube to get.

Quote:

Hi,
For the tubes issue, IMO,
burn in time:
The burn in time will takes about 1 days for components and about one month for tube.
The tube will be a big issue in this process. The installed tube GE 5670, date coded 1987, is the last generation of western insdustry, the golden tube ages. In fact is a good tube but need quite a long time to burn in and aging. The famous tube are all about 1950s' tube as they were well aging already just need burn in.

The tube, I will not recommend any since it depens majorly in taste. However, I will say that the western tubes are quite good due to their materials used in making tube and not recommend recent produced tube like russian or chinese 6N3 due to wrong materials are used.

To me:

1st class,
WE2C51 (D getter)
WE396A (D getter)
Bendix 6385 (toooo expensive)
Tesla 6CC42 (rare but sometimes will show up in the market)

2nd class,
WE396A/2C51 (O getter)
Tun-sol 396A, 2C51 (they invent this tube, 1950s, D getter)
Raytheon CK5670 (1950s, D getter)
RCA 5670 (1950s, D/Plate 2 supporting rod getter)
GE 5670 (3 mica structure, mostly 5 stars tube)
Sylvania 2C51, 5670 (D getter)

3nd class, (after 1960s)
GE 5670
RCA 5670
Tun-sol 5670
Sylvania 2C51
Sylnvnia 5670 (sometimes marked Mullard)
RTC 5670
Philips 2C51

4th class,
russian and chinese 6N3P, -E, -EB, -EV

Mhdt Labs

in regards to the difference between D getter vs O getter, this is what I got in reply:

Quote:

Hi,
getter is located in between the top of tube and upper mica. getter reacts with oxygen strongly and absorbs it to ensure the vacuum status. getter can has basicly three sahpe D, O and Disk (GE5670 infact has Disk getter but looks like O)

D getter:
http://tone-lizard.com/images/12AT7.gif
https://www.tubeworld.com/437a_we.jpg

O getter
https://www.tubeworld.com/12at7mull70.jpg

D getter usually means early tube and O getter and disk getter usually indicates late produced (1960-70) tube.

below is from text book:

We want a good, hard vacuum inside a tube, or it will not work properly. And we want that vacuum to last as long as possible. Sometimes, very small leaks can appear in a tube envelope (often around the electrical connections in the bottom). Or, the tube may not have been fully "degassed" on the vacuum pump at the factory, so there may be some stray air inside. The "getter" is designed to remove some stray gas.
The getter in most glass tubes is a small cup or holder, containing a bit of a metal that reacts with oxygen strongly and absorbs it. (In most modern glass tubes, the getter metal is barium, which oxidizes VERY easily when it is pure.) When the tube is pumped out and sealed, the last step in processing is to "fire" the getter, producing a "getter flash" inside the tube envelope. That is the silvery patch you see on the inside of a glass tube. It is a guarantee that the tube has good vacuum. If the seal on the tube fails, the getter flash will turn white (because it turns into barium oxide).
There have been rumors that dark spots on getters indicate a tube which is used. This is NOT TRUE. Sometimes, the getter flash is not perfectly uniform, and a discolored or clear spot can occur. The tube is still good and will give full lifetime. THE ONLY RELIABLE WAY TO DETERMINE THE HEALTH OF A TUBE IS TO TEST IT ELECTRICALLY.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #74 of 103
Wow, thanks for sharing that nice info with us happybob.

It's interesting to see that they consider the Russian 6N3P to be among the worst. I'm going to throw one in right now because this peaked my interest.

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #75 of 103
based on mhdt lab's list, i own one tube in each of the first 3 classes.

class 1: we396a with D-getter
class 2: sylvania 2c51 with D-getter
class 3: stock GE 5670w tube

i've been using the we396a tube for the last few days, even though now i have a cleaner, crispier sound, i kinda miss the smooth tubey sound of the sylvania. i think i might go back to the sylvania...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back