Paradisea+ just arrived
May 11, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #91 of 103
I'll field a couple of these...

What kind of mods to Squeezebox 3 do you suggest, if you dear to advise with
this gear ?

I'm using a Bolder Cables (www.boldercables.com) modified linear power supply. I felt this made some improvement. You would need to puchase one of the power supplies listed on his site, send it him, and he will return it. I have not heard his other mods.

After maybe just reading spesifications of this gear do you
think it will be better audo resolutions, after modding SB3 and with use of
external DAC ?

Certainly only my opinion, but I feel the power supply mods improved things a little. I think the Paradisea + improved things by a good margin.

What kind of external DAC do you suggest ?
I like to Paradisea. There are tons of good DACS out there....

Can I use MHdt Labs Paradisea + when I don’t have tube amplifier ?
Absolutely.

Do I have to go for constatine ? No, I have had the Constantine and the Paradisea+ and feel the Paradisea is significantly better.

Good luck!
Jeff

May 12, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #92 of 103
Any ideas on suitable power cable upgrades for the Paradisea or is the stock cord sufficient?

May 12, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #93 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any ideas on suitable power cable upgrades for the Paradisea or is the stock cord sufficient?

as far as i know, Paradisea doesn't ship any power cord. did yours come with one? i'm not really a big believer in expensive power cords, but i just bought a cheap Audioquest power cord on audiogon that i'm going to try. will let you know if it makes any difference. so far i've been using one of the spare power cords i have that came with computer power supplies. usually the power cords that come with computer power supplies tend to be thicker and built for higher demand.

maybe someone else who's more experienced with expensive power cords can comment on this?

May 15, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #94 of 103
I have not tried Bendix yet but I now prefer the NOS GE 5 star black plate 5670W to the early RCA Command series 5670 with D getter. I have two RCA Command series 5670's, one has the D getter and an extra plate up top. This one is the earlier production and has a better sound (nice full, strident highs and warm bass and mids.) However, the GE tube seems to excel in the delivery of details, while having a little less overall low end. I will probably try the Bendix too when I can. I am using the Renaissance II, not the Paradisea, which I have never tried. These tubes were under $15 each on e-bay.

BTW the common 80's GE 5670W and common round getter WE936A's are not that great once you try an early RCA or GE. My Sylvania gold pin GB-5670's really didn't live up to the name either. This 5670 upgrade is important for this DAC because it seems a bad tube will really murky up the details and it will not live up to it's potential.

May 22, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #96 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid the C-Media USB-to-spdif chip in MHDT USB DAC's will likely make the USB input sound worse than the spdif input, but do compare both and let us know...

Any feedback on above?

May 23, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #97 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by happybob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as far as i know, Paradisea doesn't ship any power cord. did yours come with one? i'm not really a big believer in expensive power cords, but i just bought a cheap Audioquest power cord on audiogon that i'm going to try. will let you know if it makes any difference. so far i've been using one of the spare power cords i have that came with computer power supplies. usually the power cords that come with computer power supplies tend to be thicker and built for higher demand.

maybe someone else who's more experienced with expensive power cords can comment on this?

I had the chance to listen to my Paradisea+ with a much better power cord (Audioquest with RF Buster) than the computer power cord I was using. I must say that I was very wrong. The difference is huge. Resolution and clarity improved, the sound is much more dynamic, and the high and bass are both much better defined. I don't think I'm ready to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on power cords, but I'm in the process of looking for budget high-end power cords to improve the rest of my system.

May 24, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #98 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by happybob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine did not come with a cord either but I am curious as to whether there were any possible benefits compared to generic brands.

May 25, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #99 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine did not come with a cord either but I am curious as to whether there were any possible benefits compared to generic brands.

please see my post above yours, yes, there's definitely a benefit in using a better power cord as i've found out.

May 30, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #100 of 103
Hello Paradisea addicts
tongue.gif

I have enjoyed reading this thread, but have questions :

I'm in the real highend hifi : Tannoy D500, Teac vrds 10SE as transport, Cayin da2 tube dac, Sonic Frontiers EL34 amp.

Did anyone compare Paradisea(+) to well-known highend dacs such as Electrocompaniet ECD1, Benchmark dac1, Sonic Frontiers, EAD DSP7000, Audionote or Audiomat Tempo ?

It's to know "where" the Paradisea(+) stands.
Thank you a lot,
Regards

May 31, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #101 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptiJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Paradisea addicts
tongue.gif

I have enjoyed reading this thread, but have questions :

I'm in the real highend hifi : Tannoy D500, Teac vrds 10SE as transport, Cayin da2 tube dac, Sonic Frontiers EL34 amp.

Did anyone compare Paradisea(+) to well-known highend dacs such as Electrocompaniet ECD1, Benchmark dac1, Sonic Frontiers, EAD DSP7000, Audionote or Audiomat Tempo ?

It's to know "where" the Paradisea(+) stands.
Thank you a lot,
Regards

I have the Paradisea+, and also own the PS Audio Digital Link III. I don't really have experience with the DACs you listed above. But based on what I've read, the PS Audio Digital Link III is probably rated a little higher than the Benchmark Dac 1 in some reviews. In my experience, the PS Audio Digital Link III is probably a better performer than the Paradisea+ in terms that it has higher resolution and clarity. But last week I upgraded my Paradisea+ with a better power cord, and compared it to the PS Audio Digital Link III again. With a better power cord, the resolution and clarity significantly improved on the Paradisea+, probably still not quite at the level of the PS Audio, but it came close. However, the "tube" nature of the Paradisea+ added a level of sweetness of the music that made it extremely enjoyable. Before the power cord upgrade and the earlier tube upgrade (stock GE tube to the WE396a), I would definitely pick the PS Audio over the Paradisea+ any day, but now I'm not so sure. Good thing I'm keeping both, and don't need to pick.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm in the process of upgrading my PS Audio dac to a better power cord too, so we'll see.

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #103 of 103
Can the Paradisea handle a high definition signal like the Oppo's 96 KHz digital one? This would be important for SACDs and DVD-As.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back