Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Aug 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #76 of 599

Quote:
How are these for sleeping, do they stick out a lot?
The connection of the replaceable cables looks quite chunky/heavy, are these ok for wearing over the ears?

(I recently got the Denon C710, but the cabling is driving me crazy plus the phones are quite big and stick out a lot).

I think the first question will depend on your ear/head shape. Some of us find it completely comfortable to sleep with, particularly because the body isn't very long and they can't do deep into your ears. However I've read at least one of other member didn't find them the most comfortable to sleep with.

As for the cable, it's quite heavy duty and those stems are quite long, but I actually find they make it easier to wear over the ear, as they give a higher "drop point" for the cables, if you can visualize what I mean. They are totally fine for wearing over the ear and that is actually my preferred configuration when I need that extra bit of isolation or am in a hurry, because the fit is deeper and sturdier than cable-down, as long as you use the cable slider.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #77 of 599
Can anyone help with my tips dilemma? I'm really starting to love the earphones, but isolation is still a big issue for me. I generally prefer listening at lower volumes, but it's pretty impossible to do that with the HJE900s whilst on a train, or even walking down a busy street.

Will the Super.Fi tips offer much improvement? I would just order a set myself to test, but the other problem is that they don't seem to come in 'mixed' sizes... I can only find them in packs of 10, so I'll be stuck with just the one size to test with!

Also, would stuffing a bit of foam behind the filter help with isolation? How does one go about doing that - can I just cut a piece off one of those soft black cover... thingies that come with cheap earphones and use that?

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #78 of 599
^ For me the UE (Super.Fi) tips were significantly better than the stock tips, and stuffing them with foam can further improve isolation. The problem is that the HJE900 have vents around the nozzle and you must avoid covering them with foam.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #79 of 599
Got mine today. What can I say but...

Simply wow! WOW! I'm shuffling my music collection and I can't find the smallest flaw! This quite possibly was my very last IEM purchase. Ever!

Thank you for all that recommended this 'phone!

Very brief first impressions:
  1. The cable is perfect. 'Nuff said.
  2. The stock silicone tips are very comfortable. Very. I won't even try to replace them. It won't get better than this unless I use custom foams but I already have modded the Hippo VB for ridiculous isolation.
  3. Overall sound signature is similar to Ultrasone headphones. Not the same, but very similar regarding warmth.
  4. The bass sounds like it's placed in front of the voice instead of behind... It doesn't bother me but I'll look into it.

Pictures: (I know I can't compete with dfkt anyone. 
frown.gif
)

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #82 of 599
1) very durable
2) very natural sound with emphasis on bass and treble
3) excellent build quality
4) current price of $129 is a steal
5) made of zirconium
6) 3d like sound
7) thats all

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #83 of 599
Cheers.  That 2) looks a bit weird.  Does that mean the mids are a weak point?

Plus 1), 3) and 5) are kinda the same point, surely?

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #85 of 599
Quote:
Can someone summarise why these are so unique please?

For me, it's mostly the price.
I'm not only a student, but I also have a wife. So I spend most of my hard earned cash on going out and having a great time together. I don't have much money left for 'personal' stuff and my only hobby, atm, is music.
Shaking cocktails for two evenings was enough to afford me the HJE900 and not only give me the feeling I have top quality sound, but it actually also feels like luxury. I would have paid far more, but I probably wouldn't have considered them if they were twice the price.
I can't believe how much money I've wasted on AKG, Klipsch, Sennheiser, Hippo and even Bose - who would have guessed that the one portable that pleases me is from Panasonic?!
tongue_smile.gif

Sadly, I can't compare them to the IE8, SM3, CK10, etc., simply because I can't afford them and if I could (which eventually I will), I'd much rather spend the money on real headphones. Now I don't have any interest either. This is exactly the sound signature I prefer - it just sounds natural to me. True, there's an emphasis on bass, but I like it!
biggrin.gif

Plus, these sound amazing unamped. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything without a portable amp that would cost even more than the IEMs, in this case.
biggrin.gif

I don't think I'll ever consider another IEM purchase again. For me, my search has ended.

Next purchase: Ultrasone Edition series!
basshead.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #86 of 599

Quote:
Can someone summarise why these are so unique please?

tbh they do have a really interesting timbral behaviour.  its so very odd that i really cant put my finger on it but its has this strange unnatural quality but its in no way unpleasent.  i really am not sure how to describe it, its just weird.

edit:  oh and very glad your happy with them ultrazino

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #87 of 599

Quote:
  1. The cable is perfect. 'Nuff said.
  2. The stock silicone tips are very comfortable. Very. I won't even try to replace them. It won't get better than this unless I use custom foams but I already have modded the Hippo VB for ridiculous isolation.
  3. The bass sounds like it's placed in front of the voice instead of behind... It doesn't bother me but I'll look into it.

Agree with all this. Durability-wise it is pretty much perfect. As for the stock silicone tips... I ordered the Super.Fi tips last week after recommendations on here and, unfortunately, I found that they didn't improve isolation at all. So a tenner wasted there, and I've gone back to the stock tips (which, comfort-wise, I had no problems with).

As for the bass issue, that's the only other problem I have with the earphones (aside from isolation). The bass is way too much for me, making a lot of music sound 'muddy' - yes, the treble and mids are still clear, but it feels like they are being blocked by a huge wall of bass. I don't know, maybe the sound will improve with a bit more burn-in (I've only listened to approx. 15-20 hours so far). Using the Bass Reducer EQ setting on the iPhone makes them sound just like the RE0s to my ears, but I can't use EQ on Spotify (and I'd rather not use EQ anyway).

So, to help with the isolation - and possibly improve the sound (I'm sure I've read somewhere that it does) - I think I'm going to try the foam mod. I've asked this before, but are there any instructions/threads that can help with this?

http://www.smallworld-us.com/images/l/200709/84544944346ef8f8c2c2ec.jpg

The right of the picture - is that the sort of foam I should be using? I'm sure it's a very simple procedure, but I still want to do it properly.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #88 of 599
Aug 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #89 of 599
I'm seriously considering buying the CZs except I'm having several problems:

1. Local retailers sell these for around $200, for that price I was expecting them to be the Japanese version with the nice carrying case but I went to the shop earlier and apparently for that price I would be getting the American version only.... Amazon.com do not ship worldwide, is there any other online stores which do ship these earphones internationally?

2. I have say 1/4 of the songs in my library being iTunes imported 128kbps AAC files. Since the CZs are fairly revealing would it be a bad idea to listen to these files through them?

3. The replacement cables are a pain to find too. Seems like the SA6 cable can be used on the CZs but they arent much easier to find in Hong Kong :/ Good news is that the cable that comes with the American version is likely the better quality ones that Panasonic sell seperately in Japan.

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #90 of 599

Quote:
Cheers.  That 2) looks a bit weird.  Does that mean the mids are a weak point?

Plus 1), 3) and 5) are kinda the same point, surely?

Mids are not really a weak point. They are a bit recessed, but once you turn up the volume a little more they sound really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back