Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Jul 22, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #61 of 599
No, that includes VAT - websites always quote inclusive pricing unless they're aimed at corporate purchasers.

Quote:
Frack! Is play.com for real? Is it like a UK Amazon? They have absolutely unbelievable prices!
£69.99 Free Delivery for the Panasonics.

If I lived in the UK, is there VAT on top of that purchase price? If so, how much is the tax?

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #63 of 599
I'm after some decent IEMs myself, as per the thread below:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503112/earphone-advice-hippo-vb-jays-q-jays-or-phonak-audeo-pfe-012

I have to say - from what I've read these HJE900s sound right up my street! And for only £70...

Just a couple of quick questions before I take the plunge - would it be fair to say that the clarity is comparable to RE0s, but with a 'warmer' and punchier sound?

Also, are the included tips any good for comfort + isolation, and if not can the Shure tips be used on them? Cheers. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #64 of 599
The HJE are definitely punchier and faster than the RE0, but I don't know about "warmer" - the HJE have more (sub)bass and a slightly more recessed midrange - I would call them more "natural" instead of "warmer".

The Shure tips won't fit properly, they have a smaller nozzle diameter. Even if you manage to get them on the HJE, the sound signature will probably change. The UE Super.Fi tips fit perfectly fine (better than the original tips, even). For more isolation, you could try any of those pricey Comply foam tips that fit the Sennheiser CX300, Creative EP-630, or the older Super.Fi series. (Personally, I don't like Comply tips for their fit and feeling, for their highway robbery price tag, and what they can do to a phone's sound, especially the treble - but they sure do isolate well enough.)

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #65 of 599
In terms ofthese and complies, I find they totally kill the treble. Like, they just eliminate all the pretty sparkle into some dullore(though alleviating the possile harshness as well). however, a simple tick for getting the Comply isolation without the degradation in treble is to simply place the complies on the headphones backwards, so that the sound tube extends completely to the opening. It's a bit unsightly and may be uncomfortable for those of you with smaller canals, but it sounds like much better, like a regular silicone tip with he isolation and fit of the comply.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #66 of 599
I agree. I find comply to remove some of the sound spectrum. At least with triple fi 10 they did.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #67 of 599
Quote:
In terms ofthese and complies, I find they totally kill the treble. Like, they just eliminate all the pretty sparkle into some dullore(though alleviating the possile harshness as well). however, a simple tick for getting the Comply isolation without the degradation in treble is to simply place the complies on the headphones backwards, so that the sound tube extends completely to the opening. It's a bit unsightly and may be uncomfortable for those of you with smaller canals, but it sounds like much better, like a regular silicone tip with he isolation and fit of the comply.

Once again I can only recommend taking a look at this thread:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=110&thread=9468&postID=31#31

You can choose the size and length of your "Complys" how you want. I haven't tried it with the HJE900 yet but I did this with the Hippos. You can have a look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502705/iem-under-100#post_6788829
If you cut the foam short enough you won't alter the sound.

I will also try to do this with the HJE900 but it might be difficult not to cover the tiny air holes...

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #68 of 599

Quote:
The HJE are definitely punchier and faster than the RE0, but I don't know about "warmer" - the HJE have more (sub)bass and a slightly more recessed midrange - I would call them more "natural" instead of "warmer".

The Shure tips won't fit properly, they have a smaller nozzle diameter. Even if you manage to get them on the HJE, the sound signature will probably change. The UE Super.Fi tips fit perfectly fine (better than the original tips, even). For more isolation, you could try any of those pricey Comply foam tips that fit the Sennheiser CX300, Creative EP-630, or the older Super.Fi series. (Personally, I don't like Comply tips for their fit and feeling, for their highway robbery price tag, and what they can do to a phone's sound, especially the treble - but they sure do isolate well enough.)

Cheers. One more quick question - am I right in thinking the RE0 tips will also fit? If not then I'll just get the Super.Fi tips, a quick google suggests they're cheap enough.

Still having a hard time deciding between these and the PFE 012s... I'll have to be quick, though, I don't want to miss out on the sale price for the HJE900s.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #69 of 599
Yeah, the RE0 tips will fit as well. But they're not necessarily a step up from the Panasonic stock tips - except the clear double flange maybe.

For my ears, the green bass filters on the PFE 012 take away some of the outstanding qualities of the Phonaks, such as clarity and dynamics/punch. To my ears they perform quite a bit better with the grey filters that are lighter on bass (and only come with the PFE 112/122 model). For a bass heavier phone the HJE sure are the better option than "abusing" the PFE with the green filters, in my opinion.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #71 of 599
I finally got these last week, and after a bit of listening I have to say... so far, so good. I wasn't impressed at first because the mid-range seemed a tad too recessed, with the overpowering bass (to, me anyway - coming from a Shure SE210) not helping matters. But apparently burn-in will bring out the mid-range a bit more, so I'm sticking with it. Not that it's a bad sound, I'm sure in time I'll get used to it.

The earphones themselves look absolutely awesome. Build quality seems about as good as it can get for IEMs, and even the cable length is perfect for me (I'm only 5.5ft). No problems at all aesthetic-wise, they look genuinely classy.

Strange, then, that one of the filters fell out after a few minutes of tinkering with different tips. Apparently it's a common issue, luckily I found it and managed to stick it on firmly, so hopefully both filters will stay put.

Now, the negatives, and the main reason for this post... although the actual earphones are fine to wear and will happily stay in my ear, the stock eartips aren't ideal in terms of comfort. Also, the isolation is quite poor - quite a big deal for me as I do most of my listening on the daily (train) commute.

So my question is: will those Super.Fi tips improve things with regards to isolation? Are they the best tips to get for HJE900s? Just wanted to make sure before I put down another tenner for different tips. If I can get decent isolation then, well, these earphones will be pretty much perfect for me. Cheers!

Edit: I should add that I'm not a fan of Comply-style foam tips, as they're expensive and apparently have to be replaced quite often. I've read about the Sony hybrids, which apparently offer better isolation but at the cost of sound quality...

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #72 of 599
YAY I got my Panny, lol

It was recommended by Joker from multi iem comparison, but I went for triple fi 10 instead, which didn't go well, so I got them now, I have them for few hours but first impression much easier to deal with than the horrible fit on the triple.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #73 of 599
If someone can get you some Monster Hybrid foams they will last for quite awhile compared to other foams.  They also isolate pretty well.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #75 of 599
How are these for sleeping, do they stick out a lot?
The connection of the replaceable cables looks quite chunky/heavy, are these ok for wearing over the ears?

(I recently got the Denon C710, but the cabling is driving me crazy plus the phones are quite big and stick out a lot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back