Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Jul 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #31 of 599

Quote:
The human equal loudness contour changes its sensitivity over the audible frequency range, depending on the sound pressure level: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

At low volume levels a more v-shaped curve sounds natural, the louder you listen, the flatter you can go.

Thx!  I'll add that along with threshold hearing shift in my 2 entry File.  
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #32 of 599

Quote:
Comfort for sleeping is high on my criteria list, so I'm glad to hear that it is.

As to cable replacement, I have gone though countless pairs of inexpensive Sony MDR-EX51s, MDR-EX71s and a Creative 640. I currently have three Creative 630s--two still in their package unopened as backups--because I sleep with them and all of their cables inevitably break at the strain relief area. For that reason, I'm very happy to see cabling is replaceable for the Panasonic and that replacement cables--by another vendor--is pretty cheap.

dfkt, the IE8 are comfortable for sleeping? Wow. That's interesting. The weird shape of the back of the IE8s makes me initially think they'd be extremely uncomfortable for the ear.

I quite like the shape/size and comfort of the Sony MDR, Creative 630/640 and Sen cx 300 series for sleeping.

While I always thought of replaceable cables as being a nifty feature, I never really appreciated it till this week when my puppies messed up my regular ones. It only struck me today just how grateful I should be for it! Although the regular cable somehow still works most of the time - it's only when moving around a lot that the connection seems to cut out a bit - chances are that right side will be unusable soon enough, so I'm really happy I only had to pay 15 dollars to solve the issue instead of paying 129 to get the same HP(not to mention burning in all over again), paying less for something less satisfying, or getting a new headphone altogether that might just break again anyways.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #33 of 599

Quote:
To me, for another $30 or so, the Fischer Audio DBA-02s are a better value. Of course, the DBAs don't have the tank-like body and removable cable, two nice features. Anyway, just my two cents on these phones. I'd spend a little more and get the Fischers, if top-tier SQ in a mid-priced container is the ultimate goal.

How lacking is the bass of the DBA's compared to the Panasonics. I'm torn between the two, but according to the reviews the DBA's is a little light on the bass.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #34 of 599
^I don't think you can even compare the panasonics and the DBA-02. They are completely different beasts, V shaped and dynamic vs flat and analytical. It really is apples and oranges. First figure out the type of sound you're looking for, then look for choices that match it. If something doesn't have your preferred sound sign, odds are you won't think highly regardless of its technical prowess.

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #35 of 599

Quote:

While I always thought of replaceable cables as being a nifty feature, I never really appreciated it till this week when my puppies messed up my regular ones. It only struck me today just how grateful I should be for it! Although the regular cable somehow still works most of the time - it's only when moving around a lot that the connection seems to cut out a bit - chances are that right side will be unusable soon enough, so I'm really happy I only had to pay 15 dollars to solve the issue instead of paying 129 to get the same HP(not to mention burning in all over again), paying less for something less satisfying, or getting a new headphone altogether that might just break again anyways.

My fear is breaking the wires off a $150 pair of phones and having no recourse to fix/replace the cable. I'm really happy that the Panasonic has replaceable cables. I stayed with $30 IEMs before because I didn't want to pay $150 every few months for replacements. I'm going to baby these Panasonics, but given that I can get replacement cables, I'll feel more at ease. Still, it does not seem easy to find Panasonic's own replacement cable--at least in the US. I know one can purchase from a Japanese merchant in Japan, but I was hoping to find the replacement cable from a U.S. merchant.

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #36 of 599
Thanks dfkt, great review as always. Plus the nicest pics of these babies I've seen so far!
I bought these a while back and still think they are among the very best bang/buck IEMs out there. Definitely for those who want RE0-like highs and a little more oomph in the lower department.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #40 of 599
LOL james :)

Anyway your above statement about RE-0 and HJE900 caught my eyes. My best friend is starting to appreciate my IEMs, and I think HJE900 makes a good birthday present :)

Quote:
Thanks dfkt, great review as always. Plus the nicest pics of these babies I've seen so far!
I bought these a while back and still think they are among the very best bang/buck IEMs out there. Definitely for those who want RE0-like highs and a little more oomph in the lower department.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #41 of 599
Great review as always from dfkt!

This might sound foolish but has anyone here owned the PK1 and compared to HJE900? I wonder how the sound compare strike out the isolation as the Yuin's a bud.
confused whether to buy this because of the great price or Blox TM5 (another earbuds). How's this compared to Hippo VB? Almost pulled the trigger until I read this.

Thanks.

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #42 of 599

Quote:
jrazmar said:
Great review as always from dfkt!

This might sound foolish but has anyone here owned the PK1 and compared to HJE900? I wonder how the sound compare strike out the isolation as the Yuin's a bud.
confused whether to buy this because of the great price or Blox TM5 (another earbuds). How's this compared to Hippo VB? Almost pulled the trigger until I read this.

Thanks.

See below.

Quote:
Compared to the VB, the HJE900 have of course somewhat less bass quantity (it's impossible having more than the VB anyways
smile.gif
), but equal quality. The midrange of the HJE900 is top notch in the grand scheme of things, the VB have a good midrange for their price. The HJE are generally more refined sounding, deliver more (micro-)detail, more dynamics, more punch - they're simply 'faster'. Treble is a bit of the weak point of the VB and the HJE, but the HJE's treble is superior to the VB's in every aspect. While the VB lack some detail and refinement in the treble regions, maybe even have somewhat recessed treble, the HJE's treble is infinitely more sparkly and lively, just bordering on being a bit sibilant, as already said. Soundstage of the VB is maybe a bit wider than the HJE, but the HJE deliver better pin-point accuracy and better instrument separation.

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #43 of 599

Quote:

I haven't heard the PK1, but I had the OK1 - I have no idea how similar they are (I assume they are, at least in general - sans the screw-on nozzle of the OK1). Furthermore, I sold the OK1 some time ago, so I can only go by memory - take it with a grain of salt.

Bass on the OK1 of course was basically non-existent, especially compared to the full, punchy bass of the HJE. Midrange on the OK1 was very good, very detailed, with no obvious glaring flaw - just like the HJE. Talking about it being comparatively recessed or forward of course doesn't apply, due to the huge differences in bass reproduction of the two phones. I can't remember the treble of the OK1 ever striking me as too hot, or sibilant - yet it was quite precise, nuanced, and sparkling - but without hearing both phones side by side I can't say more. Soundstage on the OK1 was wider, being open earbuds and all - but not by much, compared to the best IEM's soundstages out there. Build quality of the OK1 was the same as on any $2 stock earbud, while the HJE of course are basically the kings of fancy and sturdy.

Not sure that helps in any way, but hope you can make any sense of it. :)

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #45 of 599
^ Let's face it, they are just not made for you, agressive highs and such. Speaking of which, every time I put on the SM3 I can't help thinking these are mark2410 phones.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back