Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Nov 2, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #556 of 920
^ It's not only about impedance, sensitivity also plays an important role with hiss.

Which connection do you use with your X-Fi Surround? The green headphone out? Maybe you could use your X-Fi's line-out to connect to your T3 instead?

One more thing: you sure don't have any sound effects active on your X-Fi that could cause the hiss?

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #557 of 920
Hey, yep I just use the green headphone out. Lol, holy crap, I just tried using the line-out with the T3 and the hiss is way less. Weird, at first I turned the volume on the amp up and that just increased the hiss as usual, but if I increase the X-Fi volume the hiss stays fairly low.

YAAAY!! Music enjoyment has increased by 50%
etysmile.gif
. Thanks so much james444, I <3 u right now
tongue.gif
 (and everyone else too). The support here is great
biggrin.gif

Being an impulse buyer, I already went onto eBay and got one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290372905689&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_3742wt_905

I'm wondering why the above solution works though? Is the amp acting like the impedance adapter? Will I get the same result if I just use the above adapter with my green output? Why doesn't the amp do the same with the green out?

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #558 of 920
^ Your X-Fi has an inbuilt headphone amp which obviously produces hiss with the Pannys. Connecting to the X-Fi's line-out means circumventing the inbuilt amp and using your T3 instead. If you'd connect your T3 to the green HPO, you'd still have that hissy inbuilt amp in the chain.

It's essentially the same thing as using your LOD+T3 with your iPod instead of the HPO.

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #559 of 920
I bought mine in the FS forums. There are some listings on ebay that go for around $20 but you have to tell them what impedance you want.

I guess your x-fi just has hiss with these. An impedance adapter should do the trick although you do need more power for that.

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #560 of 920
Bumpty, bumpifacation.

Update: So listening experience with the Pannys has been going great until -drumroll- the left bud went out. I threw them around for a bit (jking sorta) then picked them up and listened. Good thing kids is that I myself caused the problem. So, as a update as well as a warning I cannot stress this enough. Do not, and I mean do not get anything in the little holes. I licked the tips (old method) and some of my spit I guess got in the holes, or worse went in the driver. I'm almost sure it's the holes because as we all know blocking them with the tips collapses the sound. The left bud is not totally mute, but is also not as loud as the other side. Good news is Panasonic's customer service is friendly and willing to fix the problem. Even stating that if anything esle happened to send it back in 'pronto'. I'll update how long it takes/arrival and then post impressions on my new un-burned in Pana. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #562 of 920
Sorry a little off-topic: I just saw that you have owned both the Audio Technica FC700 and JVC HA-RX700. I just bought the JVC and was looking at the ATs for a more portable headphone. How would you briefly compare the two? Would you say that after listening to the JVC I would be dissapointed with the Audio Technica FC700? I mostly listen to Trance and Rock music and lean towards a transparent sound with higher clarity and tight refined bass.

Quote:

Well I don't know if they explicitly improve them, but I certainly thought they brought the mids more forward while adding some bass heft. I suppose it's just different canal shapes. The difference was quite apparent for me. They are my second favorite tips now, after my balanced m9 tips.

I don't think they choke the venting, though again, it might have to do with ear shape. To me, it quite clearly rounded out the signature to something less V shaped, but compressing the overall presentation a bit.

Auvio tips are indeed great, though I find they make them a bit too bright and make mids more recessed. Still, they are possibly if not probably the clearest/most open sounding tips I've used.

I don't like Complys with these. For me, they attenuate the highs way too much, eliminating any semblance of sparkle. But seeing as Complys only come in one size, this might be heavily influenced by the shape and size of your ear canal. For someone with canals on the smaller side, like me, I can imagine the foam being packed tightly in the canal, substantially narrowing the opening at the end of the tips, and therefore strongly attenuating treble. This could happen much less for someone with larger canals.

However, by placing the Comply tips on the Pannys backwards, so that the soundtube extends all the way to the end of the IEM, I was able to get some great sound, certainly better than the stock tips. However, I don't have any comply tips anymore to compare to my newer tips of choice; I had gotten complies the week of purchasing the HJEs, which was many months ago.

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #564 of 920

Quote:
Yeah, should have said vents more professional but holes will suffice.
biggrin.gif

Hmmm.  I haven't looked close enough at the area around the HJE900 nozzle  -- didn't even know there were vent holes there.  I'm assuming blocking those vents will make the bass even bigger, and probably unmanagable.

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #565 of 920
That makes sense however it could also mean the filter :p I don't think I have to worry about that. I don't touch the HJE900 that often except mostly for comparisons and such.

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #566 of 920

Quote:

Hmmm.  I haven't looked close enough at the area around the HJE900 nozzle  -- didn't even know there were vent holes there.  I'm assuming blocking those vents will make the bass even bigger, and probably unmanagable.

Making the bass bigger.......not at all no, I repeat blocking the vents cut the sound completely, do not block these vents. Also the 'filter' is a piece a mesh the only reason of it being there is to help catch earwax. My mesh fell out the first day I haven't used them since, they are not filters and have no effect on the sound. I asked Pana many questions, and one of them was where the hell do you purchase an extra cord. I was waiting for them to say Sleek, but they didn't and unsurprisingly didn't know. Further research brought me to the Panasonic website, where I looked but also failed to find the cord. I sent a email to them they replied back 20 minutes later acting as if they didn't know this earphone existed, instead of giving me a link they showed me to the 'part lookup'. When I failed to find it there they said contact there national office, now note I have the Sleek cord but was curious as to were the main cord was sourced from and if longer extensions could be provided. As of now waiting on the 'national' office to reply.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #567 of 920
^^ I'm not particularly happy with the cable I got from sleek, although I have noticed my cable is different than the ones pictured on the sleek website.  I'm ok with the slightly awkward over-the-ear fit with the stock cables, but the length was becoming annoying, so I bought a shure 9" extension cord and the length is just about perfect now.  

You probably need to talk with some international office, as I don't think these were intended for the US market. (although, I really don't know for sure).  I'm interested in finding out where I can buy a stock replacement cable. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #568 of 920

Quote:
Sorry a little off-topic: I just saw that you have owned both the Audio Technica FC700 and JVC HA-RX700. I just bought the JVC and was looking at the ATs for a more portable headphone. How would you briefly compare the two? Would you say that after listening to the JVC I would be dissapointed with the Audio Technica FC700? I mostly listen to Trance and Rock music and lean towards a transparent sound with higher clarity and tight refined bass.

Hmm well I haven't listened to the FC700s in a while and don't have them with me, and I've modded my RX700 quite a bit further since I last did comparisons of the 2, but I'll try my best. When I last listened to the two comparatively, I had only done the standard felt mod on the RX700. I have since added foam under the earpads for increased soundstage and tamedbass, as well as completely removing the felt filters covering the drivers, mods which make them noticeably brighter, but also removing some of the smoothness of the sound, and I feel the mids are slightly more recessed. Anyways, while the RX700 si clearly the superior headphone imo, I don't think you will necesarily be dissapointed with the FC700s, which I think are a great value. The bass is a bit more bloated on the ATs, but has a bit more rumble in the sub bass. The highs are clearer and more sparkly on the ATs compared to the RX700 unless you completely remove the felt. However, the ATs are quite sibilant until they've reached the 50 hour mark or so. Mids I believe were more forward on the AT, which overall just has a more energetic sound compared to the smoother and more controlled RX700. Don't take my impressions too strongly though, as it really has been a while since I listened to the ATs, which are really my sister's(bought them for her as a Christmas present).

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #569 of 920
Hey guys, first on this forum but have been lurking here for a while and based my decision to get these baby's on this thread!!

So far they are absolutely superb. The treble was high but I found that when I played it through lossless formats this problem disappeared. In fact listening to Gojira on my cowon j3 with these headphones was like music heaven. Every detail was captured and anybody else here that has listened to Gojira will know how important the details are. 

I had a question regarding tips. So far I love the sound almost exactly the way it is. But are there any tips that will increase the soundstage without compromising any other aspects of the sound. The Meelec balanced don't seem to be the answer because they cut off the bass.

Any suggestions?

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #570 of 920
Thanks! This is very useful. As you say, I won't be completely basing my decision on your impressions, but this will certainly be very helpful in deciding whether I buy them or not. I haven't modded the JVC yet, as I'm still burning them in..I would really like them to settle down, before I decide if I wanna go ahead and change the sound. Actually, the FC700 are going pretty dirt cheap on Amazon at the moment, but I still would not want to buy a headphone that I'm not pleased listening to(the shipping and import cost can jack up the prices uptp 40% for us on the outside)...and from your impressions - stating that RX700 is clearly superior, I'm pretty sure I would be disappointed with them! I'm just gonna keep looking for other deals
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Hmm well I haven't listened to the FC700s in a while and don't have them with me, and I've modded my RX700 quite a bit further since I last did comparisons of the 2, but I'll try my best. When I last listened to the two comparatively, I had only done the standard felt mod on the RX700. I have since added foam under the earpads for increased soundstage and tamedbass, as well as completely removing the felt filters covering the drivers, mods which make them noticeably brighter, but also removing some of the smoothness of the sound, and I feel the mids are slightly more recessed. Anyways, while the RX700 si clearly the superior headphone imo, I don't think you will necesarily be dissapointed with the FC700s, which I think are a great value. The bass is a bit more bloated on the ATs, but has a bit more rumble in the sub bass. The highs are clearer and more sparkly on the ATs compared to the RX700 unless you completely remove the felt. However, the ATs are quite sibilant until they've reached the 50 hour mark or so. Mids I believe were more forward on the AT, which overall just has a more energetic sound compared to the smoother and more controlled RX700. Don't take my impressions too strongly though, as it really has been a while since I listened to the ATs, which are really my sister's(bought them for her as a Christmas present).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back