Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Oct 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #541 of 920

Quote:
Oh right, forgot to mention bitrate. Most of my stuff is at least 192kbps, usually higher, but it doesn't seem to affect the hiss at all. I mean they hiss when there's no music playing, so I'm sure it's not the music. 

I'm not sure how much burn-in will affect the hiss since they were already 3 months old when I bought them. 

Speaking of tips, I'm not entirely happy with the fit I'm getting. I have to use the bi-flanges to get a good seal, yet it doesn't feel like it for some reason. I like having that intimate feeling of sound with iem's. Will Sony Hybrids or Shure olives help with this? (I've never used foam tips before).

Also, does anyone make oval shaped tips besides Klipsch? I love those things, best fit ever imo. I wish they could fit the 900's.

These hiss a little bit with the Cowon S9, and alot with certain computers, nothing are wrong with your phones. As far as tips, Sony hybrids, the balance tips, and large stock tips, or medium, also Phonak pfe large/medium.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #542 of 920
Aww, there's a patent on oval tips? That sucks!
mad.gif
 Anyway, the Shure olives are the next best thing. Managed to squeeze them on by stretching the inner tubes with needle pliers. Sound has improved a little too.

I'm finding that the while the overall SQ is great (love the V shape), soundstage width/depth vary a lot with some songs. Is this because the 900's are more revealing of the source than the S4? I ask coz Batman Begins OST STILL doesn't sound as epic as it did
tongue_smile.gif
. My dearly departed S4's had great immersion on every song, so now that I have nice tips I don't get why the 900's are lacking in some cases. Isolation isn't that great either (thought foamy tips would help).

I'm getting to like these more and more for dance music, but I tried listening to Piano Sonata No. 14 and was listening to this: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, rather than the music. Hiss doesn't change with source, so I guess these are just hissy phones
frown.gif
 Otherwise they'd be near perfect in my book.

P.S. Will a Cowon D2+ reduce the hiss?
Wait, just remembered I can eliminate hiss by using a portable amp with my ipod. I just want to get rid of it on my laptop. Should an impedance adapter cost about $65? Seems expensive. Can I get anything really cheap?

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #543 of 920

Quote:
Aww, there's a patent on oval tips? That sucks!
mad.gif
 Anyway, the Shure olives are the next best thing. Managed to squeeze them on by stretching the inner tubes with needle pliers. Sound has improved a little too.

I'm finding that the while the overall SQ is great (love the V shape), soundstage width/depth vary a lot with some songs. Is this because the 900's are more revealing of the source than the S4? I ask coz Batman Begins OST STILL doesn't sound as epic as it did
tongue_smile.gif
. My dearly departed S4's had great immersion on every song, so now that I have nice tips I don't get why the 900's are lacking in some cases. Isolation isn't that great either (thought foamy tips would help).

I'm getting to like these more and more for dance music, but I tried listening to Piano Sonata No. 14 and was listening to this: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, rather than the music. Hiss doesn't change with source, so I guess these are just hissy phones
frown.gif
 Otherwise they'd be near perfect in my book.

P.S. Will a Cowon D2+ reduce the hiss?
Wait, just remembered I can eliminate hiss by using a portable amp with my ipod. I just want to get rid of it on my laptop. Should an impedance adapter cost about $65? Seems expensive. Can I get anything really cheap?

There is a chain and the chain goes in this form without any order. Source,phones,tips,isolation,bitrate,well mastered recording,not well mastered recordings,insertion depth,song. You have a weak link in your chain.

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #544 of 920
Are you sure you are talking about hiss and not sibilance? Hiss is a background humming noise for lack of a better way to describe it. Sibilance is when words with s or sh or similar turn into sssss

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #547 of 920
Maybe it's been a while since you heard it :p I don't have a counter argument for that really
smily_headphones1.gif
Although I did only read the SSSSS part and saw hiss in there as well.

An impedance adapter will help and shouldn't cost that much. Mine was $15 but they all vary in impedance depending on what you want and you may need an amp depending on the impedance and it may change the sound slightly.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #548 of 920
So I took the plunge and got the Monster supertips.   IMO, these did not improve the overall sound quality on the HJE.   Both Gel/Foam took away the "bounce" in the bass.   I'm just not hearing any improvement over the stock medium tips.  They aren't particularly comfortable either.   Frankly I don't know what the hype is all about.   They did tame the highs a bit so I guess if they ever bothered you, these would be a good fit.   The supertips, however, did drastically improved my 2nd Gen Apple IEM.   They feel almost like a different IEM now.  Go figure.

I have some Meelec M9 tips on the way as well, will see how that goes..

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #549 of 920
Well I had mentioned it tends to veil things even thought it evens out the treble a bit. I think it has to do with choking the venting, which is never a good thing. Supertips definitely not good with these. I don't know if they still have a sale, but last I checked Radioshack has a sale for the Auveo tips for 3.99$, which go great with these imo.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #550 of 920
Did you ever try the filter from the RE-Zero? If you did you notice anything noticeable? I might take out the foam when I get mine back to see how it sounds now but may do a bit of experimenting when I have some time.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #553 of 920

Quote:
So I took the plunge and got the Monster supertips.   IMO, these did not improve the overall sound quality on the HJE.   Both Gel/Foam took away the "bounce" in the bass.   I'm just not hearing any improvement over the stock medium tips.  They aren't particularly comfortable either.   Frankly I don't know what the hype is all about.   They did tame the highs a bit so I guess if they ever bothered you, these would be a good fit.   The supertips, however, did drastically improved my 2nd Gen Apple IEM.   They feel almost like a different IEM now.  Go figure.

I have some Meelec M9 tips on the way as well, will see how that goes..

Well I don't know if they explicitly improve them, but I certainly thought they brought the mids more forward while adding some bass heft. I suppose it's just different canal shapes. The difference was quite apparent for me. They are my second favorite tips now, after my balanced m9 tips.

Quote:
Well I had mentioned it tends to veil things even thought it evens out the treble a bit. I think it has to do with choking the venting, which is never a good thing. Supertips definitely not good with these. I don't know if they still have a sale, but last I checked Radioshack has a sale for the Auveo tips for 3.99$, which go great with these imo.

I don't think they choke the venting, though again, it might have to do with ear shape. To me, it quite clearly rounded out the signature to something less V shaped, but compressing the overall presentation a bit.

Auvio tips are indeed great, though I find they make them a bit too bright and make mids more recessed. Still, they are possibly if not probably the clearest/most open sounding tips I've used.

Quote:
Has anyone else tried Comply's? Love to hear your opinions.

I don't like Complys with these. For me, they attenuate the highs way too much, eliminating any semblance of sparkle. But seeing as Complys only come in one size, this might be heavily influenced by the shape and size of your ear canal. For someone with canals on the smaller side, like me, I can imagine the foam being packed tightly in the canal, substantially narrowing the opening at the end of the tips, and therefore strongly attenuating treble. This could happen much less for someone with larger canals.

However, by placing the Comply tips on the Pannys backwards, so that the soundtube extends all the way to the end of the IEM, I was able to get some great sound, certainly better than the stock tips. However, I don't have any comply tips anymore to compare to my newer tips of choice; I had gotten complies the week of purchasing the HJEs, which was many months ago.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #554 of 920
yeah i agree with you on the Auveo tips, not the best but definitely worth a try for the presentation. Still stand that the Supertips do choke the venting to some extent though.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #555 of 920

[size=medium]
It's definitely hiss, and no, the Moonlight Sonata has no words
wink_face.gif
. The noise is always in the background, and it just becomes more obvious in quieter songs, so I guess that's hiss?

I've have a T3 amp which eliminates hiss on my ipod (through a LOD), but when I use it from my X-Fi Surround (just connected by a double-ended jack cable thingy) it requires much more volume, and then the hiss is just as loud.

@Rawster: $15 is what I want to pay
L3000.gif
. Where did you get yours? I can't find any on eBay, and the online stores I've found want about $50.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but increasing impedance should decrease hiss while needing more power to get the same volume. The 900's have an impedance of 26ohms and hiss badly to my ears. The RE0's are 64ohms and don't hiss at all. The Klipsch S4's which hiss more than the RE0's, but less that the 900''s are 18ohms
confused_face.gif
. How does that work? Doesn't the low impedance mean it's MORE sensitive to hiss?

[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back