Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Oct 17, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #437 of 920
After having lost my pair nearly a year ago my wife has truely blessed me by telling me she ordered me a new pair, I only found out last night. They'll be here this week man I can't wait its been tooooo long.Everyone a bow of silence for my lost pair and all those iems lost around the world from other headfiers....you are missed but never forgotten! I'll be joining the 900 club again soon can't wait.
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #438 of 920

Quote:

Confispect thought the mids were a strong point:

I think their mids are clear, but a bit recessed. I actually think their frequency response as posted by DFKT summarizes them with remarkable accuracy as to how I hear them. I never considered them to be bass monsters either though, just impactful. I've heard bassier phones that don't have as much impact. These have slightly less bass than my huge full-size RX700s, but significantly more impact. Surprisingly, I also get a better out-of-head feeling from my HJE900s, despite the RX700s being full sized, though the latter aren't noted for their soundstage. In terms of frequency response, it's just a bit more presence than I would have optimally preferred in the mid bass, and a bit less in the sub-bass.

On another note, I bought a Sansa Clip+ 2 days ago, based off of some comments of yours I had red on them and further research. I am sincerely astounded at the clarity of this thing. Though not as powerful, their transparency might just surpass the desktop source I used(just a lab computer at my school, but it's the best sounding source I'd heard till now). I'm interested in how these would sound through the clip with an amp and impedance adapter. I wanna rockbox the Clip, but I need to wait till I have a computer of my own again. What advantages does Rockboxing have in terms of SQ?

The pana's are interesting to say the LEAST, mids are extraordinary, highs have a good amount of energy, these have the ability to be another asset to the phones overall signature, which is extremely natural, timbre is the best. Now the bass is where these get weird, but not a good or bad weird just weird to someone who's never heard the chameleon characteristics of this particular bass. The bass deserves mention above all other because it sets itself apart from the rest of the signature in a small way. Make no mistakes this is a IEM that was made to play whatever you music sounds like. That's the problem.....like treble on any phone that presents itself with lower bitrate recordings or bad mastered songs. The bass is the same way, to a certain very slight extent if your songs had bass, no matter it be sub-bass, mid bass, are going low as the flo, these phones will do it. But let your song not have bass......you will hear a small thump. 

Off the bass, back to the fantastic mid's which I don not feel is recessed at all. THESE MIDS ARE TO DIE FOR, I finally understand people's bone to pick with analytical armature phones. These are not thin, not light, not boring this is how music is susposed to sound. Music is full, and lush always....will details galore, I thought the Phonaks were the kings at picking things apart, deciphering what real strings should sound like, and picking the piano art of a classical piece and picking it apart like a kid picking apart his favorite snack. These things put the Phonak's to shame when it comes to detail, this is a dynamic driver, that puts out armature details mixed with lush mids. Details are presented very lush will feeling, decay and timbre, everything sounds complete. Even listening to a talk show is a revelation. The detail is like the bass on the Hippo vb is described you can feel it in your stomach.

Everyone states there new headphone makes then hear details never heard before. Well these do that tenfold, with presence, timbre and a naturalness that makes me want smack a analytical presentation for even trying to compete. These are a definite like I honestly don't see anything wrong with them, nothing I want more and nothing I want less. To the highs.....the highs are presented in a no-nonsense way. The highs were say to be slightly sibilant I slightly agree, but with the foam mod in place it's nonexistent. The highs shimmer, they sparkle, they are just there, these have to be heard for self to digest and have a valuable opinion. At the end of the day get these headphones, give them 50-60 hours to see if you like.....and don't use the small tips in the package is something I strongly suggest. To buy the Pana's means you are buying a HIGHLY musical, detailed, product. I honestly do not think another phone could posses more detail then this phone, it's impossible, the naturalness and timbre puts it in another league clear over the heads of other products.

The mids are said to be recessed...there not in my opinion there just right. Mids/High/Low are presented in a very musical detailed way, without any emphasis on each other. These are not bass-heavy phones, explaining the bass is the hardest thing because you know that it will be there but how, is a question that will always be that..a question. 

Pros

Naturalness
Detail
Soundstage
Timbre
Dynamic feeling of presenting details in a armature way (MUSICIAL!!)
Details hold hands with reverb, astounding instrument serperation, and a rubberband snap effect.
Slightly wide soundstage
Ability to pinpoint anything!
No overbearing bass to trample the mids, balance at it's finest, with bass...
If I was to put a stamp on it, it would be Musical, dfkt said snappy, I agree but musical sounds bulleye's if this was a bull with eyes
biggrin.gif

Cons
Might require you to sit down to have a talk with it about which tips it likes best.
Might require some to Eq to for those in the 'basshead' category

In closing I'd like to thank dfkt over at anythingbutipod, as well as lestar and darkside, for persuading me to get these. Get the pana's people, get the pana's these will appeal to both crowds analytical and for those who want the naturalness that a dynamic can bring. If it were a bullet it would be a holotip, able to going anywhere, and back.

I quote, 
The Reo's play sound waves, The Panasonic's play music
Having not heard them insert the Phonak's in there if you must, period the Pana's are the stuff.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #439 of 920
I'm not sure about these appealing to those of the analytical crowd :p I'm not sure if I qualify but a lot of the earphones I've enjoyed have been the "analytical" earphones. I would never keep the HJE900 if it was my only earphone or if it was my "go to" phone but it's a good 3rd or 4th option for me. I also don't think detail is as good as other phones but they are a good buy for sure. I have had more detailed earphones and have a couple in my possession that beat them in detail.

They seem to suit you better than it does for me however.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #440 of 920
I would suggest to those that want more bass to try the Meelec M6 double flange tips.  Truly a different headphone when compared to the stock or even Phonak tips.  Lots of deep bass impact that is clear and tight.  The highs are still there as well.  Glad I experimented a bit.

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #441 of 920

Quote:
I'm not sure about these appealing to those of the analytical crowd :p I'm not sure if I qualify but a lot of the earphones I've enjoyed have been the "analytical" earphones. I would never keep the HJE900 if it was my only earphone or if it was my "go to" phone but it's a good 3rd or 4th option for me. I also don't think detail is as good as other phones but they are a good buy for sure. I have had more detailed earphones and have a couple in my possession that beat them in detail.

They seem to suit you better than it does for me however.

I don't think these would have a problem fitting in with the analytical crowd, detail is off the charts not the best but then what would be considered the best. And yes they suit me, what tips were you using?

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #442 of 920
I've been using the M9 balanced tips. I would not say detail is off the charts however. I have a couple of better earphones and the first thing I notice are the difference in micro details between those and the HJE900.

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #443 of 920

Quote:
I've been using the M9 balanced tips. I would not say detail is off the charts however. I have a couple of better earphones and the first thing I notice are the difference in micro details between those and the HJE900.

Got a link for those tips? also which IEM presents more micro detail to your ears then the Pana's?

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #444 of 920
http://www.meelec.com/category_s/299.htm

My RE-Zero, RE262 and my Livewires does it better. I've had others that does it better but they are no longer in my possession.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #445 of 920
So your impression of the mids not being recessed is with your foam filter mod right?  Just want to point that out for any interested parties.  You realize you are arguing against points made by people listening to them stock.  If I start using a custom reshelled TF18 to write impressions of the TF10 I might notice a few discrepancies as well.  
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #446 of 920

Quote:
After having lost my pair nearly a year ago my wife has truely blessed me by telling me she ordered me a new pair, I only found out last night. They'll be here this week man I can't wait its been tooooo long.Everyone a bow of silence for my lost pair and all those iems lost around the world from other headfiers....you are missed but never forgotten! I'll be joining the 900 club again soon can't wait.
wink.gif

That sound great
smily_headphones1.gif
It;s too bad you lost them but you get to enjoy them again! I remember a while back when they first got popular that you were one of the first to review them many months before the FOTM started.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #448 of 920
Actually I don't find the mids that recessed either with the right tips.... @ Anaxilus. Slightly, but not enough to be a bother to my ears. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #449 of 920
Musical description on these are absolutely correct.   Now I have over 60 hours of burning, I've notice the bass is a little more clear, less murky.   I found that I really enjoy Jazz on these.   As I'm writing this, Miles Davis' So What really shines through.   Each instruments are picked apart cleanly, no spill over from the lows....   And the trumpet!!   check out Freddie Freeloader... you will be amazed.

If I paid over $200-$300 for these, I wouldn't be here raving about them.   The fact that these are under $100 ($79 from J&R) is just mind boggling...  I do feel these have the signature of BA and bass of dynamics, not overpowering but satisfying.

I can't wait to try out some tip mods on them.     I've read so far that Sony hybrids and UE single flange are good on these...  Any suggestions?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back