Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Sep 14, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #196 of 920

Quote:

Is "Wanker" a word?  
wink_face.gif
  I've heard my fair share of Londoners speak 'English' so I won't be losing any sleep.  Btw, assuming you're a Scotsman, wouldn't William Wallace be turning over in his grave at your defense of the English language?  
ksc75smile.gif
 For shizzle my nizzle!

I've heard my fair share of New Yorkers try and speak 'English', I won't be losing any sleep. and yes im a Londoner.

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #197 of 920

Quote:
Let's hear everybody what his most expensive can/IEM is, that he thinks is outperformed by the HJE900!

I just posted in another thread that the HJE900 impresses me quality wise a lot more than the mediocre DT770.
But I also have to admit that the Panasonic is at least on par with my beloved HFI-780.
Due to S-Logic the soundstage has a completely different feel but everything else is comparable. Clarity/detail is similar, bass of the Ultrasone is a bit punchier and better textured but the 900 has better timbre.
For the masses, I think the Panasonic is the better choice.

Sorry to rain on the parade but I wouldn't pick the 900 over any headphone I'm currently using.  As a 580 user I find you putting them on par w/ 780s interesting.

Quote:

I've heard my fair share of New Yorkers try and speak 'English', I won't be losing any sleep. and yes im a Londoner.

They were probably from Jersey.  
wink_face.gif
  Nah, I think only the Queen speaks proper 'English'.  

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #198 of 920

Quote:
And @Pratt, I think burn in helps with these for refining the sound. Not quite sure it's just psychological, and I've heard a number of people say they refine with time, but I am glad to hear you are enjoying them thus far =]

Well I just don't buy the whole "burn in" thing (I've never experienced it besides psychological), but if they get better I won't complain!

And thanks, I spent a bit of time with these last night and there is much to like. Bass, for instance, is for me just about perfect. Deep, authoritative, tight, taut, quick, detailed/articulate, and, best of all, not TOO much. It's not anemic, but it's not over done.

Now I know this is an appreciation thread, but I have to say the mids and highs are less impressive so far. They're not at all bad, but it seems the mids are somewhat recessed and "dark" and could use more "air". No, these aren't closed in sounding, and I knew they didn't have the widest sound stage when purchasing (I don't care much about that as long as I don't feel like I'm in a cave), but it seems vocals, for instance, need more space and to be brought forward. The highs are good in many ways, good air and detail, but they are also brash and maybe overly aggressive.

On a whole, so far, with about only 2-3 hours spent with these (most of that being tired and not really concentrating on the sound), I like them. The best thing I can say for them is that I when I tried to concentrate on the sound I found myself too engaged with the music to do so...they distracted me by forcing me to be more emotive instead of analytical iow. Not at all a bad thing! These seem to be engaging (addicting! haha!) IEM's that propel songs forward with great PRaT (minus a T! haha again!). They are not laid back or sluggish, two things I don't like, but they aren't overly aggressive or hyper either. Exciting without being annoying maybe.

In contrast to my other cans/IEM's, well I'll wait to place them. I still have yet to really mess with tips after all! But I will say that these remind me of my DT 770's actually. Like them they have kind of dark and recessed mids with good strong bass and somewhat hard/metallicy highs. I don't know which one is better yet and I don't even know if comparing IEM's to full sized cans is fair. It seems, all things being equal (price and such) full sized will always win.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #199 of 920

Quote:
Well I just don't buy the whole "burn in" thing (I've never experienced it besides psychological), but if they get better I won't complain!

And thanks, I spent a bit of time with these last night and there is much to like. Bass, for instance, is for me just about perfect. Deep, authoritative, tight, taut, quick, detailed/articulate, and, best of all, not TOO much. It's not anemic, but it's not over done.

Now I know this is an appreciation thread, but I have to say the mids and highs are less impressive so far. They're not at all bad, but it seems the mids are somewhat recessed and "dark" and could use more "air". No, these aren't closed in sounding, and I knew they didn't have the widest sound stage when purchasing (I don't care much about that as long as I don't feel like I'm in a cave), but it seems vocals, for instance, need more space and to be brought forward. The highs are good in many ways, good air and detail, but they are also brash and maybe overly aggressive.

On a whole, so far, with about only 2-3 hours spent with these (most of that being tired and not really concentrating on the sound), I like them. The best thing I can say for them is that I when I tried to concentrate on the sound I found myself too engaged with the music to do so...they distracted me by forcing me to be more emotive instead of analytical iow. Not at all a bad thing! These seem to be engaging (addicting! haha!) IEM's that propel songs forward with great PRaT (minus a T! haha again!). They are not laid back or sluggish, two things I don't like, but they aren't overly aggressive or hyper either. Exciting without being annoying maybe.

In contrast to my other cans/IEM's, well I'll wait to place them. I still have yet to really mess with tips after all! But I will say that these remind me of my DT 770's actually. Like them they have kind of dark and recessed mids with good strong bass and somewhat hard/metallicy highs. I don't know which one is better yet and I don't even know if comparing IEM's to full sized cans is fair. It seems, all things being equal (price and such) full sized will always win.

Hehe, after owning the RX700, I can't help but believe burn in exists for some headphones. Those can go through some ridiculous burn in changes. Not that I want to get into that debate, though.

The mids are recessed, there's no other way around that. The highs settle down after a while IME. I am using mine completely filterless and foamless now, though I wasn't able to detect any differences using only a tiny amount of foam to protect the driver after my filters fell out. But you may be a perfect candidate for the "proper" foam mod, which brings mids a bit more forward and tames the treble a bit, which you can tune to your liking depending on how much foam you use.

I recommend using standard UE style tips. They have a larger opening than the stock tips, giving them more "breathing room" and opening up the soundstage more. I prefer Monster Gel tips on mine though, which isolate the most bring forward vocals a bit without sacrificing treble, I find. Very slight soundstage compression compared to my Meelec tips though.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #201 of 920

Quote:

Is "Wanker" a word?  
wink_face.gif
  I've heard my fair share of Londoners speak 'English' so I won't be losing any sleep.  Btw, assuming you're a Scotsman, wouldn't William Wallace be turning over in his grave at your defense of the English language?  
ksc75smile.gif
 For shizzle my nizzle!

its a word and no im not a scotsman.  i just happen to have been born in scotland and live there.  in perhaps the same way that you might consider yourself to be american rather than a californian.

Quote:
What in the hell is going on itt? Grammar nazis? Really? Are we all 15 here? And are we all really that stupid to think that we can possibly ascertain someone's IQ (such as that even matters lol) and education level (hint: formal education means little, self education means a LOT more) by whether or not they make a grammatical mistake (guess what...it wasn't a mistake, trust me, my dad was a college english prof) posting a casual (that is, not proofread and hurried) post on a forum such as this? Really? And we are all that shallow and insecure that we have to pick on strangers we know nothing about (I can guarantee you I have a pretty high IQ and education level for one thing) in order to build our pathetic selves up? Please...sorry I posted! lol

Going to listen to these more tonight.

PS: I just made another grammatical error above; using "they" to refer to what is a single person...oh noes! Should be "he", "she", or "the individual". Gasp! lol What fun.
L3000.gif

PPS: All the above is sarcastic, at least if (I hope) no one except that one poster was actually serious, but if so, then 'tis directed at you and justly so.
wink.gif

btw sorry if any offence was taken i wasnt singling you out.  its simply a phrase i see around headfi all the time and it irritates me everytime.  oh and seriosly, grammer nazi? have you seen my posts and how well spelt and punctuated they are?  no one was questioning your intellectual capabilities one was merely pointing out a lexicographical error.  i wasnt picking on you so stop being so sensitive.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #203 of 920
but you are supposed to build up the hype not crush it
smily_headphones1.gif
It's supposed to be better than every single other earphone ever created for the next 30 days or so.

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #204 of 920

Quote:
but you are supposed to build up the hype not crush it
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> It's supposed to be better than every single other earphone ever created for the next 30 days or so.

Someone already did that, by recommending it in so many threads. Even some OP obviously wanted different earphones.
cool.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #206 of 920

Quote:
Hehe, after owning the RX700, I can't help but believe burn in exists for some headphones. Those can go through some ridiculous burn in changes. Not that I want to get into that debate, though.

The mids are recessed, there's no other way around that. The highs settle down after a while IME. I am using mine completely filterless and foamless now, though I wasn't able to detect any differences using only a tiny amount of foam to protect the driver after my filters fell out. But you may be a perfect candidate for the "proper" foam mod, which brings mids a bit more forward and tames the treble a bit, which you can tune to your liking depending on how much foam you use.

I recommend using standard UE style tips. They have a larger opening than the stock tips, giving them more "breathing room" and opening up the soundstage more. I prefer Monster Gel tips on mine though, which isolate the most bring forward vocals a bit without sacrificing treble, I find. Very slight soundstage compression compared to my Meelec tips though.

Yes, I will not argue burn in either. One way to test it would be to order the exact same IEM/Can/Amp/Dac etc. as one of the "burned in" ones and then have someone switch between the new and old for listening tests without the tester knowing (blindfolded for instance). But no one seems to do this...

Anyway, I messed with the EQ on my Cowon D2 last night and WOW what an improvement! These went from "good...but" to "ok...I get it". I'm not an EQ guy, in fact this is the first time I messed with any EQ, but I basically brought forward the mids while leaving the rest pretty much balanced in the mix. I went from a flat EQ to points above it in all frequencies. It may be a bit overdone or hamfisted now, but it still sounds better. Switching back and forth from the normal flat EQ and my custom EQ the whole sound isn't so distant or dark and much more exciting and the vocals are much more forward. This is the same whether I use them straight out of the D2 or through the FiiO. Actually, straight out of the D2 they sound more neutral as the E5 does add some "warmer and richer" sound (muddier bass). I'll have to see if this is a real fix or just something that sounds good at fist blush but grows tiresome quickly because the sound is so artificially inflated/tweaked. But as of now I'm liking these a lot more! Good fun IEM's with great bass.

I will have to mess with tips more too.

Quote:
btw sorry if any offence was taken i wasnt singling you out.  its simply a phrase i see around headfi all the time and it irritates me everytime.  oh and seriosly, grammer nazi? have you seen my posts and how well spelt and punctuated they are?  no one was questioning your intellectual capabilities one was merely pointing out a lexicographical error.  i wasnt picking on you so stop being so sensitive.

That's ok, but I did take it as an unwarranted "attack" on me, posting as you did right after I used an instance of your pet peeve. I didn't really take personal offense, I just became upset because one of MY pet peeves is "internet smart guys" who go around correcting others and dismissing them as imbecilic (not that you did that) based purely on their posts on the internet. That's ridiculous of course: until you have spent time with someone in a variety of situations and have seen the strengths and weaknesses of their cognitive abilities, one has no right to pronounce judgment on anyone else's intellectual capacities. We all have off days and times for one thing (being tired, distracted, or just not caring to write "well" for casual posts online...I could write this post better, but I don't have the inclination nor time to do so!).

I have never seen a post by you besides that one, so I could only reference it. The quick read I did of it showed no glaring grammar mistakes, and that you were upset about the use (or misuse) of a word evidenced my assumption that you were being a "grammar Nazi". 
tongue.gif

Anyway, no hard feelings and this whole thing is rather silly imo.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #207 of 920
@Napilopez: Do you have a pic of these in your ear with the Sleek Audio cable? Those look more low profile than the stock cable and might consider getting those and well it could be a good option in case anything does happen. Although I could get the regular cable but it would be a pita and much more expensive.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #208 of 920

Quote:
@Napilopez: Do you have a pic of these in your ear with the Sleek Audio cable? Those look more low profile than the stock cable and might consider getting those and well it could be a good option in case anything does happen. Although I could get the regular cable but it would be a pita and much more expensive.

Oh snap! I forgot Anaxilius wanted a pic of how they look with the SA cables as well. I'll go ahead and do that now. Using these with the Sleek Audio cable is quite interesting as they can be fitted in a variety of manners. I'll post comparison pics of the regular cables too.

I think you might prefer the Sleek cables, since you said you're not a believer in cables making such a big difference(and I havent been able to solidly identify one), and the sleek cables are lighter( I just read your post in another thread saying your ears don't like a lot of weight). The CZs already have a relatively heavy housing, and the Sleek audio cables are quite noticeably lighter than the regular ones.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #210 of 920
So what's some good tips for this phone? Included mids sounds best for me right now with 2 problems: Easily falls out and isolation. The latter isn't that big of a deal as I like to hear a little of the surrounding. The large Panasonic tips fits and isolates better but has a horrible mid bass spike that reminds me of my days with the Triple Fi. The hybrid medium and large both sounds rubbish on this. Seems to make the mids a muddy mess. Any of you guys having success with tips that'll stay in and sound good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back