pa2v2 or cmoy or mini3
Mar 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

sl_guy

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the portable amp scene and I have decided 2 go with 3 choices:
1. PA2V2 from Gary
2. CMOY from ebay (juice2214 is the seller. He uses opamp 2227)
3. Mini3 DIY kit

I have an ipod with LOD cable

My budget is $100 or less so if anyone has a better recommendation, please let me know

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 29
I have and love the mini3. I used to have a meier move, but downgraded to free up some cash. I had some time to compare the two, and the move was better, but not by much. The mini3 is just a great value.

Ive tried a MINT, which is a lot like a cmoy, and quite frankly, I didn't think it helped sq that much. I also haven't tried the pa2v2, but I honestly don't think it would compete with the mini3 from what I've read. If you can DIY, go that route. If not, you might be able to snag a used mini3 for under 100. I really think its worth it. It adds a lot of depth to your music, as well as weight and range of bass. It has a very nice warm and pleasing sound while retaining detail thats only beat when you move to the next tier of portable amps (IMO of course).

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 29
Mini^3 should compete with several expensive commercial portable amps. I'd definitely go with a Mini^3- no question, hands down.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonchalance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CMOY is nothing more than a volume boost. So choose between the remaining two.

I'll admit to being a relative noob to portable headphone amps, but I'm not sure everyone would agree with that statement. True, the other two are generally regarded as better than a Cmoy - but lots of people rate a well built Cmoy with a quality op amp as much more than a volume boost. I've read about people who have 'gone back' to their old Cmoy after shuffling through more expensive amps, finding the simple circuitry beneficial to a fun, enjoyable and musical sound...

I'm not saying they're the greatest, and obviously much of their appeal comes from the fact many people build a Cmoy themselves, usually pretty cheaply. I'm just saying don't write it off all together...
normal_smile .gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 29
If you've got $100 to play with, why are you looking at one of the cheapest prebuilt cmoys? I'm sure 'juice2214' has plenty of satisfied customers, but from what I've read, 'biosciencegeek' and 'three3three3' (JDS Labs) offer nicer units for a little more money. Having seen pics of all three with their lids up, the 'juice2214' cmoy doesn't appear as tidy and professional as the other two.

juice2214

juice2214internal.jpg

biosciencegeek

BSGinternal.jpg

three3three3 (JDS Labs)

JDSinternal.jpg

I ordered the cMoyBB v2.02 from JDS Labs and should have it by the end of the week. Sometime next week I'll be able to offer a comparison between it and the PA2V2.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 29
Those last ones are pretty great looking. Don't forget the Penguin. I think they are still available. They are pretty solid and according to some they sound as good as amps double the price.

10059_0.jpg

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 29
mini^3 nothing more to say it performs p[retty close to many amps in the $200+ range if well built. but if you must go cmoy, BSG

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 29
I fixed the Penguinamp before and it has an AD8397 amplifier with LM6171 splitting the rails. (i don't see any TLE2426 though, so the advertisement is misleading)

It should rank pretty close to the Mini3. I'm pretty sure however, the Mini3 is more stable than the Penguinamp. The penguinamp does not use any proper compensation at all and I doubt it outputs perfect square wave response.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fixed the Penguinamp before and it has an AD8397 amplifier with LM6171 splitting the rails. (i don't see any TLE2426 though, so the advertisement is misleading)

It should rank pretty close to the Mini3. I'm pretty sure however, the Mini3 is more stable than the Penguinamp. The penguinamp does not use any proper compensation at all and I doubt it outputs perfect square wave response.

Sorry for off(ish) topic question, but how does the Penguins AD8397 sound compared to the more common op amps (OPA2227, OPA2132 etc) - I actually have one lying around but mounting it onto an adapter takes patience and courage...
confused_face.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #14 of 29
Mini3 gets my vote. I spent a total of $110 for the kit with the fancy plates and thumb screws. It was pretty simple to put together. Minus the crossfeed it lacks, it gives my Xenos X1HA-EPC a nice run,plus it's half the size. Hmmm, I may just let the Xenos go.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 29
so, i'm about the same place with the thread starter. i want small amp & was looking @ cmoy but never got started on it.

my basic use be with my macbook pro & iphone/ipod.

headphone i've been using is ksc75 which i've been thinking about recabling since i started trolling this forum... and the 75ohm resistor thing that i have no idea how to do >.>

so, what's the most recommended choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back