Overwhelmed - Cheap IEM under $30 or so?
May 9, 2017 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kwest12

New Head-Fier

Hello, I'm looking for some cheap (under $30) IEMs. I've been reading for hours now and I'm just getting more and more confused with all the recommendations. Wirecutters says one thing, Head-Fi threads are all over the place, Reddit threads are all over the place, and half the time I can't even find the recommendations readily available to buy…

The brands seem endless, and each has multiple models I see people mentioning:
  • Panasonic
  • JVC
  • Xiaomi
  • Brainwavz
  • AKG
  • Mee
  • Monoprice
  • Koss
  • Audio Technica
  • etc
Then I see a couple brands like ‘Symphonized’ all over Amazon; they're highly rated, yet I haven't seen the mentioned at all in the headphone communities.

I'm thoroughly confused, so can you guys recommend IEMs check the following boxes?
  1. $30 or less*
  2. Readily available for purchase from the US
  3. Have rubber and foam tips
  4. Have a carrying case
  5. And maybe an option that has Android controls

One final question: am I better off just buying the $10 ones and replacing whenever, or is it really worth it to throw an extra $20/$25 at a pair ($30 to $35?) If it's just a small marginal improvement, I'd opt for the cheapies, but if they $30/$35 pair is nearly indestructible with amazing sound which should cost $100+, well then that's a different matter.

May 9, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 19
I would look at a couple of KZ models too. You can get em (certain models) on amazon though you'd have to pay a bit more than the usual price.

May 9, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 19
+1 for KZ.
Very happy with the KZ-ATE performance / price ratio.
Really no reason to bother with any other brand at this price-range IMO.

May 9, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 19
or the Rock Zircons? Just had those recommended to me as well. Worth the extra bit of cash, or
Do yourself a favour and avoid the Zircon, they don't sound good (I know that there are people who will argue but they are usually people with more than one set..and even then they're wrong :wink: ) and they have a reputation for falling apart.
Sorry nothing positive to add, except maybe look at those One Plus you linked.
Or KZ make plenty of people happy.

May 9, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 19
I highly recommend the SoundMAGIC E10C for around $40. It is very well built and sounds absolutely terrific for the price. Clearly exceeds its price in value. You might read about it and see what you think. It could work for you.

May 9, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 19
For $13 on Amazon the KZ ATE are pretty good and also fairly durable. I have not heard the other models so can't say but the ATE's are very good for the price. I wear them all day and no comfort issues for me. I use Comply Tips with mine and the set of three tips cost more than the earphones. Still on the first set of tips and they fit some of my others so all good.

May 10, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 19
I would look at a couple of KZ models too. You can get em (certain models) on amazon though you'd have to pay a bit more than the usual price.

This seems like you're suggesting another source for KZ headphones. I see them heavily recommended around here as debatably the best sub-$30 headphones, so I'm pretty interested. Where would you recommend buying? Would you recommend certain KZs over others?

May 10, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 19
This seems like you're suggesting another source for KZ headphones. I see them heavily recommended around here as debatably the best sub-$30 headphones, so I'm pretty interested. Where would you recommend buying? Would you recommend certain KZs over others?

Well the two KZ models I personally like the most, that I have tried, are the KZ ATE and KZ ZS3. The KZ ATE was more neutral, with maybe a little treble focus while the KZ ZS3 are a bit on the warmer side. Both are good and you can't go wrong with either of them for their price. I would just choose the one that suits your listening preference the most.

May 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 19
+1 for avoiding Rock Zirkon.
These have a very strange tonality for me that is only 'fixed' with EQ.

May 17, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #14 of 19
Went with the KZ ZS3. There weren't directions on which way to plug the cord into the headphones so I hope that doesn't matter. To clarify, both the monitors and the cords are labeled with Right / Left, so that's fine, but the two prong plug doesn't have different sized prongs and there's no direction on which way it plugs in, so I assume it's reverseable?

For my next pair I'd like some with built in volume control for Android phones. For some reason I was under the impression that the ZS3 had volume controls, but it appears to only have a single button. Any suggestions that fit that one additional retirement?

May 17, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 19
Went with the KZ ZS3. There weren't directions on which way to plug the cord into the headphones so I hope that doesn't matter. To clarify, both the monitors and the cords are labeled with Right / Left, so that's fine, but the two prong plug doesn't have different sized prongs and there's no direction on which way it plugs in, so I assume it's reverseable?

For my next pair I'd like some with built in volume control for Android phones. For some reason I was under the impression that the ZS3 had volume controls, but it appears to only have a single button. Any suggestions that fit that one additional retirement?

The cables only plug in 1 way. If you look very closely, the plug & jack have a curved end & a flat end. They need to be plugged in such that they mate up.

If you're confused about what that means, lemme know & I can post a picture when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back