overpriced cables
Jul 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:
I think that monster cable wont exist in 5 years

Sure they will. Noel Lee might not be much of an engineer, but he's a great business man. Monster has been diversifying for a long time now (power conditioners, headphones, speakers, amplifiers, etc). A lot of it doesn't work, like the M Design "Eleganza" trash, but those crappy power conditioners certainly sell, and their Beats headphones were obviously a mega hit.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 43
Sure they will. Noel Lee might not be much of an engineer, but he's a great business man. Monster has been diversifying for a long time now (power conditioners, headphones, speakers, amplifiers, etc). A lot of it doesn't work, like the M Design "Eleganza" trash, but those crappy power conditioners certainly sell, and their Beats headphones were obviously a mega hit.

Do those 'power cleaners' even work :D

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:
Do those 'power cleaners' even work
biggrin.gif

They are mostly glorified surge protectors. Even the cheap Monster, Panamax or Belkin filters can remove some differential mode noise, at the expense of restricted current.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 43
William007, Inquire to George Merrill at George Merrill's Analog Emporium in Memphis, Tn.. He will get you steered straight as to your questions. He sells and works on Thorens turntables and has been an audio dealer for decades. You can believe what he tells you. He won't steer you wrong I promise! I've known George for years and have worked for him since 1984. If he doesn't have an answer for you, he'll help you find someone who does. The number is 901-3751-3337. Hope this helps you out. EarHead1

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 43
William007, Inquire to George Merrill at George Merrill's Analog Emporium in Memphis, Tn.. He will get you steered straight as to your questions. He sells and works on Thorens turntables and has been an audio dealer for decades. You can believe what he tells you. He won't steer you wrong I promise! I've known George for years and have worked for him since 1984. If he doesn't have an answer for you, he'll help you find someone who does. The number is 901-3751-3337. Hope this helps you out. EarHead1

But do you have he's email? Because i live in belgium and it is hard to call to the us
William

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:
I've got a question about a cable http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3859 is this cable way to overpriced? or should i just make a cable myself? if so can somebody link me to some good RCA connectors, i'll be using this cable to connect my Schiit Asgard to my Sony CDP- 101 so it doesn't have to be very long. And does there a 5pin DIN plug exist? to make a new cable from my thorens TD145 mkii to my pre amp to my amp.
Thanks, William

Yes Monster is.

No don't make cables yourself. It will give you worst sound.

And unfortunately so many people got brainwashed thinking monoprice and bluejean cables is all you need and give you greatest sound. They don't.  These are for people that work at McDonald flipping hamburgers or that are grocery sackers.....Buy these cables ONLY IF you don't have money and don't care for SQ....

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Umm, there are plenty of DIY'ers who re-cable and make their own cables without incidence. 

Not sure where your coming from, but making cables is a lot cheaper, more fun, totally custom, and doesn't change the sound if you do it right.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:
Do you know beter 'power cleaners' that do work and don't cost $1000

If you know your way around a soldering iron, you can build your own DIY Hydra. All you need is a power bar with accessible outlets (something in a metal enclosure). The Hydras use Vishay noise suppression caps that cost about $2 each. You just attach one across each outlet and you've got your own Hydra 6, or however many outlets are on the bar.

If you're not comfortable with DIY or you want something a bit more effective, I'm a fan of the Majik BUSS. The Silver Circle Juice Box is also pretty good.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

If you know your way around a soldering iron, you can build your own DIY Hydra. All you need is a power bar with accessible outlets (something in a metal enclosure). The Hydras use Vishay noise suppression caps that cost about $2 each. You just attach one across each outlet and you've got your own Hydra 6, or however many outlets are on the bar.

If you're not comfortable with DIY or you want something a bit more effective, I'm a fan of the Majik BUSS. The Silver Circle Juice Box is also pretty good.

That sounds so cool! I should make one one of these days. Link to a tut?

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #28 of 43

Haha only one problem :) my budget for it is <100 and i live in belgium :p that suppression caps, could you link me to one?

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:
Yes Monster is.

And unfortunately so many people got brainwashed thinking monoprice and bluejean cables is all you need and give you greatest sound. They don't.  These are for people that work at McDonald flipping hamburgers or that are grocery sackers.....Buy these cables ONLY IF you don't have money and don't care for SQ....

I don't flip burgers or bag groceries, and I like BJC just fine.  Maybe try to make your point without adding in the unnecessary ****** factor.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:
I don't flip burgers or bag groceries, and I like BJC just fine.  Maybe try to make your point without adding in the unnecessary ****** factor.

I used to get cheap cables when I was very young.... and never had expectation of SQ... I even had no clue what's considered good sound.  I used to work at grocery store or Taco Bell.... My parents bought me a pickup truck and I loved it. I only paid for gas and insurance...  I went and got a $25 sound blaster card for good deal online.  Got some generic cable along with it for real cheap. At the time, I cared for low price and as long as "I get sound" it didn't matter......

You could say.... different level of the listener.  As you get older and learn to know the quality of sounds and your ears become trained.... that's when you get better cables....  Blue jean cables don't belong here. That's for the low standard, meaning people that don't mind mediocre SQ....

I don't know...  so you don't bag groceries so you a cashier then?  They get paid about the same if not a few cents more.

But don't let that stop you buying high-end cables.  You have credit cards right?  Charge it.  That'll give you opportunity to build your credit.  If not, apply a loan for a nice high end cable.  That's another way to build your credit.  I am currently at impressive 780 score.  I buy expensive things and pay them off and never miss or late on payments....

But of course, skip on Monster cables.....

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back