Overall good headphone
Apr 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MarcoX

New Head-Fier
Hi people

I am new to the forum and I came here to ask for some advice on a good all around headset, as I am not using it for any special purpose. I will be gaming, listening to music, watching some movies... the problem comes when i say my budget is maybe no more than 130 bucks. I don't need a perfect headset, i know i won't get one for this money.
Could you please give me some recommendations on the best i can get for this money?
Thanks! 

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Senn HD 518. Their E.A.R. technology works very well for gaming. I have the 595's which are an earlier generation of this series. All smiles IMHO.

Add a decent desk-top mic and you may be about $20 over.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi, and if you plan on staying here, sorry 'bout your wallet!

Any music preferences you have? That'll help with your headphone selection.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Okay.. what type of music do you listen to? Anyways, I would definately say ATH-AD700's or HD555's.
 Oh yeah, keep in mind that they are open headphones.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Hey, thanks for answering!

First, about the music I hear usually... there isn't a really precise style, I may listen to the beatles as well as some metal like metallica or iron maiden or some pure instrumental like John Petrucci or Paul Gilbert.​
And second, yesterday while I explored about headphones seeking for reviews of different models i had seen i wondered wether it wouldnt be better to go for some more music oriented headphone, I saw two of the ones you mentioned before: the Sennheiser HD518 and the Audio Technica ATH AD700 and also the Audio Technica ATH A700, all of them were actually in the price range I mentioned, so would it be better to go for an all around headset or for a more audio oriented one​
 ​
Thanks again. ​

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 8
What exactly are your priorities percentage-wise for the headphone/headset?  If it's a large percentage of console gaming (particularly fps gaming and chatting) you will want a headset with dolby headphone processor.  You can get decent quality headphones with a mixamp, but it's a bit over your budget.  

If it's moreso music, movies etc and less about multiplayer oriented gaming, I think you would be just fine to get something like HD555, AD700 with a usb fairy and mic of your choice.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 8
I must say that i am not a real gamer, i just like playing some games, more about cars (nfs shift for example), but the main thing i would like to use them for, i decided, is hearing some nice music, . I will be doing everything but mostly gaming and music, but not playing so much fps (which doesnt mean that i wont play fps). I think it would be better to go for a more good audio oriented pair of headphones, thx.
By the way, do this kind of headphones sound nice if you plug then into a guitar amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back