Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Nov 24, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,156 of 1,284
Awesome! But is there a reason why the title says '(Sale Ended)'?
Whoops! Fixed. (Copying and pasting from last time.)
Thanks for pointing out the error.

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #1,157 of 1,284
I wonder if OOYH Gaming Version does need a 7.1 capable DAC (like SoundBlasterX G6) to piggyback on to create 7.1 virtual surround like Waves NX does or can it create 7.1 VSS with a 2-channel DAC as well?

And if I get the full version, do I get additional surround speaker setups like 7.4.1 Atmos?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #1,158 of 1,284
I wonder if OOYH Gaming Version does need a 7.1 capable DAC (like SoundBlasterX G6) to piggyback on to create 7.1 virtual surround like Waves NX does or can it create 7.1 VSS with a 2-channel DAC as well?

And if I get the full version, do I get additional surround speaker setups like 7.4.1 Atmos?
Out Of Your Head does not require a 7.1 or 5.1 DAC. Out Of Your Head takes a 2 to 8 channel source and outputs binaural 2 channel audio that sounds like up to 8 speakers in a room. So all you need is a 2 channel DAC.
However, Out Of Your Head does not convert 2.0 channel audio to pseudo 5.1 or 7.1 surround.

If you buy the full version of Out Of Your Head, the difference is that you then have the option of purchasing additional speaker presets (you get one preset of your choice when purchasing the full version.) With the Gamer version, you don't have a choice of presets and you can't purchase additional presets without buying the full version.

Out Of Your Head currently supports a maximum of 7.1 channel audio. There is currently no way to render Atmos or DTS-X on a computer so even if Out Of Your Head did support more than 8 speakers, there would be no way to feed it decoded/rendered 7.4.1 audio.

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #1,159 of 1,284
Thanks Darin!

I will be trying out OOYH this weekend.
I guess Waves NX does create a pseudo 7.1 surround sound with headphones?
But what puzzles me is what the audible difference would be between that pseudo 7.1 surround sound and binaural 2 channel sound that sounds like 8 speakers.
Both will deliver a "virtual surround sound", no?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #1,160 of 1,284
Is the OOYH compatible with Raspberry Pi? I’ve used OOYH on both Mac and Windows but would like to move on to RPi. I don’t know if RPi runs on Windows, Mac, or another third-party OS, and if so, whether it would be possible to run OOYH with it.

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,161 of 1,284
I guess Waves NX does create a pseudo 7.1 surround sound with headphones?
But what puzzles me is what the audible difference would be between that pseudo 7.1 surround sound and binaural 2 channel sound that sounds like 8 speakers.
Both will deliver a "virtual surround sound", no?

Waves nx is real time binaural rendering of 2 to 8 channel audio as well. Most "virtual surround sound" programs/features are(except a few that just add crossfeed and reverb). What sets the Realisers, OOYH, and Impulcifer apart is their use of measured room impulse responses. In ear microphones measure speakers in rooms and add those reflections to the binaural rendering, providing a much more externalized and natural sound.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #1,162 of 1,284
I installed this recently and there is no control panel icon. How can I get it to show? Thanks,

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,163 of 1,284
I installed this recently and there is no control panel icon. How can I get it to show? Thanks,

Whether you are in Win or Mac, if it installed correctly, you should have an icon in the bottom or top menu bar respectively. Once you launch the program the control panel should open. If for some reason it doesn't once you hit the menu icon it should come up or you can click on "control panel" from the icon's menu.

Hope that helps though I know random problems come up with individual systems.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,164 of 1,284
Whether you are in Win or Mac, if it installed correctly, you should have an icon in the bottom or top menu bar respectively. Once you launch the program the control panel should open. If for some reason it doesn't once you hit the menu icon it should come up or you can click on "control panel" from the icon's menu.

Hope that helps though I know random problems come up with individual systems.
Thanks man. I reinstalled it and got the control panel to show. Looks like a great program. Sadly it wouldnt work in my system. It has more to do with my system than OOYH I suppose. My player sofware only works with 32 bit compatible drivers and it was giving me errors on OOYH as well as the WDM options for the system. Guessing that windows audio is capped at 24 bits or something??

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #1,165 of 1,284
Thanks man. I reinstalled it and got the control panel to show. Looks like a great program. Sadly it wouldnt work in my system. It has more to do with my system than OOYH I suppose. My player sofware only works with 32 bit compatible drivers and it was giving me errors on OOYH as well as the WDM options for the system. Guessing that windows audio is capped at 24 bits or something??

I don't know if there is a workaround, but I can confirm that in Windows Sound panel OOYH only goes up to 24bit.

It's too bad that there is an incompatibility. Once you find a preset that works for you, OOYH is astonishingly good. It may be worth fooling around with a different music player.

Feb 7, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #1,166 of 1,284
I just got a chance to put Audeze's Reveal+ plugin through its paces. It uses a similar technology as Super Xfi. You take a picture of your ear and machine learning attempts to reconstruct your HRTF. The program can then use it as a model to apply IR captures of real world monitors in pro studios. I had a lot of hope for it because, unlike Creative, Audeze is a world class audiophile company, and the presets are being tailor made for their headphones. I use LCD-i4.

The results are effective, and they can create a convincing sense of external speakers. However, there are a bunch of phase and artifacting issues that make me wonder about the viability of the visual approach. No matter which room, speaker, or placement I chose the same anomalies followed me around. It seems to be a limitation with the photograph capture tech--at least for me.

I'm writing this here because, the sound and the problems reminded me of OOYH presets that don't work. The benefit of OOYH is that some of the captures are very different from others and if you go through the whole list you may find one that fits. For me that is the Cello speaker, it is the only one that works for me like it does. To my ears, it is glorious. I couldn't get back to it fast enough from the Audeze's plugin. I've tried almost every speaker virtualization tech out there over the past two decades (except BACCH) and the microphone in ear process just seems to work best.

So many virtualization methods leave me feeling like it works to a degree but the result isn't something you really enjoy, esp. against the natural source material. If you match with a preset on OOYH, it doesn't just sound convincing, it can sound gorgeous.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,167 of 1,284
I don't know if there is a workaround, but I can confirm that in Windows Sound panel OOYH only goes up to 24bit.

It's too bad that there is an incompatibility. Once you find a preset that works for you, OOYH is astonishingly good. It may be worth fooling around with a different music player.
I tried for about 20 minutes to get it to work on another computer using foobar. No idea why but it wouldnt work. Foobar kept giving me an error (0x88890008). When I switched Foobars output to my digital out driver it worked fine. I couldnt get OOYH to work. It kept prompting me to buy a preset but even on bypass it was not working. Should be pretty simple to select OOYH in foobar and then the digital out driver in OOYH (which I did) and it should work right?

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,168 of 1,284
I've tried almost every speaker virtualization tech out there over the past two decades (except BACCH) and the microphone in ear process just seems to work best.

So many virtualization methods leave me feeling like it works to a degree but the result isn't something you really enjoy, esp. against the natural source material. If you match with a preset on OOYH, it doesn't just sound convincing, it can sound gorgeous.

I've also tried many virtualization options over the years, and now OOYH. I'd suggest you check out Impulcifer.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #1,169 of 1,284
@darinf

I sent you the same email a couple times already but could not get a reply from you, so I’m asking in this thread. I did ask several posts back but I suppose it got lost among other posts, so I’ll ask again. Of course, if anyone else could help me in this matter, please feel free to chime in, your input would be appreciated.

Is the OOYH compatible with Raspberry Pi? I’ve used OOYH on both Mac and Windows but would like to move on to RPi. I don’t know if RPi runs on Windows, Mac, or another third-party OS, and if so, whether it would be possible to run OOYH with it. If the OOYH cannot be used with RPi, then I’ll just have to give up on RPi (or wait until the day an RPi-compatible version of OOYH comes out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back