Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Feb 2, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #856 of 1,284
Hi @esimms86

Thanks for posting. Too bad we won't be attending CanJam NYC. But we will be offering a "show special" for everyone even if they don't make it to NYC. Follow us to be notified about the special.

Damn, and I just bought Out of Your Head ☺️. Ah well, happy to support innovation like this.

With regards to latency, is it the same for the gaming 7.1 profile as the rest?

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #857 of 1,284
Damn, and I just bought Out of Your Head ☺️. Ah well, happy to support innovation like this.

With regards to latency, is it the same for the gaming 7.1 profile as the rest?

Hi @Sarnia,
Thanks for your purchase. (We also have a show special on additional speaker presets.)

The latency is the same for all speaker presets. The "Gaming Version" is no different. It's just a way for people to use Out Of Your Head for only $25 if they don't care about using any of the other speaker presets.

-Darin

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #858 of 1,284
Hello!

I just downloaded the out of your head trial after trying the online demo (which absolutely blew me away).

I can't get it to work with my AKG N90Q though, which is connected through USB. The AKG N90Q doesn't show up in your application under 'output audio devices'

Is there any way I can fix this?

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #859 of 1,284
  Hello!

I just downloaded the out of your head trial after trying the online demo (which absolutely blew me away).

I can't get it to work with my AKG N90Q though, which is connected through USB. The AKG N90Q doesn't show up in your application under 'output audio devices'

Is there any way I can fix this?

Hi @kilspeed ,

Thanks for downloading the Out Of Your Head trial.

I assume you are on Windows. Which version of Windows are you using?

In the Windows\Control Panel\Sound\Playback Devices, do you see the AKG N90Q headphones listed? (I assume you do and assume that's how you play audio through the headphones in Windows?)

Are there any drivers required to use the AKG headphones via USB?

I have not tested the AKG N90Q headphones with Out Of Your Head.

In general, in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, the Output Device list should have the same list of devices you seen in the Windows\Control Panel\Sound\Playback Devices that are active.

Another thought: in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, it only lists all the Windows output devices that are active when Out Of Your Head is launched. If you plug in your AKG N90Q's or any DAC after Out Of Your Head is running, Out Of Your Head does not update the output device list.

If you plug in a new audio output device, you have to exit and relaunch Out Of Your Head to see the newly connected device in the Output Devices list.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
-Darin

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #861 of 1,284
Just a quick note:
Now that Roon 1.3 is available, they have redone their output engine. So, now Windows users don't need to use the Out Of Your Head 16bit driver or 16bit mode. You can configure Roon to output to the regular 32bit driver like all the other media player apps.
Another new feature is that Roon supports multi-channel playback! I tested Roon 1.3 with some 5.1 FLAC files and it work great with Out Of Your Head for multi-channel listening.

The best part is that Roon 1.3 is a free upgrade.

-Darin

P.S. Hopefully everyone got our CanJam NYC special...

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #862 of 1,284
Hi Darin,  

Do you have an idea when WASAPI will be working on OOYH again?  

Thank You (and thank you for a wonderful product too :) )

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #863 of 1,284
  Hi Darin,  

Do you have an idea when WASAPI will be working on OOYH again?  

Thank You (and thank you for a wonderful product too :) )

Hi @Elric ,

As far as I know, WASAPI has always worked and has never stopped working. (I just tried it with the latest version of Out Of Your Head and JRiver.)

Here's a post on using WASAPI with JRiver:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator/30#post_9989538

But basically to use WASAPI, you have to make sure your media player app resamples everything to 48KHz/32bit audio. 

-Darin

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #864 of 1,284
  Hi @Elric ,

As far as I know, WASAPI has always worked and has never stopped working. (I just tried it with the latest version of Out Of Your Head and JRiver.)

Here's a post on using WASAPI with JRiver:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator/30#post_9989538

But basically to use WASAPI, you have to make sure your media player app resamples everything to 48KHz/32bit audio. 

-Darin

Well I feel special now... upmix to 7.1... I missed that step... :)

Now I can have my music playing in exclusive mode, and let my wife log into her acct on the computer, and still have my music playing at the same time :)

*EDIT* ok I was wrong about letting her log in and keep my music playing... ahh well.  but now I have WASAPI working.

Thank you so much @darinf 

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #866 of 1,284
In the process of testing the gamer preset, clarity seems significantly better then Razer surround as is. All goes well i'de definitely get the gamer version, in fact the pricing on it is an absolute steal if by end of trial I feel the same. 

(edit: Changing all the inputs to +6db adds a bit of the oomph that is lost from normal 2.0 or bypassing effects.  Left and Right channels can benefit from being tweaked for crunchier audio since in some games they are used like a center channel in coding despite a center channel existing for other sounds.  In particular when the decibel levels are matched such as shooting a gun sounds a bit for distant in the division when outputs in L/R where Reloading sounds find which is Center channel)

That said the other presets are nice, but the license fee is overkill just to have the privileged of spending more money to own them. I think that alone would scare people away from delving deeper then the gamer preset. (the acoustic zen version seems a bit more engaging for example, where the game mode lacks a bit of oomph just testing it on music)

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #867 of 1,284
Quite loving the Italian Speakers.
There's a sub-bass lift and a thinner mids presentation which IMO fits the Sennheiser HD600.
Coming in second I'd vote for the Revel Ultima as it has a nice wide frontal presentation but the bass is tight and not as boomy compared to Italian speakers.
Cello speakers probably has the cleanest presentation but it has a large soundstage.

The delay in the gaming preset is slightly too slow (which sounds something like 90ms), games such as counterstrike global offensive offers an HRTF audio option which is better. However the gaming preset does beat the Razer Surround software if anyone's still interested in having a wider soundstage presentation.

The question for me is whether the OOYH is worth buying at $150... No. If I could buy each preset for $25 and not have the base fee of $150, I would have bought it an hour ago.

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #868 of 1,284
There's a sub-bass lift and a thinner mids presentation which IMO fits the Sennheiser HD600.
Coming in second I'd vote for the Revel Ultima as it has a nice wide frontal presentation but the bass is tight and not as boomy compared to Italian speakers.

Cello speakers probably has the cleanest presentation but it has a large soundstage.

The delay in the gaming preset is slightly too slow (which sounds something like 90ms), games such as counterstrike global offensive offers an HRTF audio option which is better. However the gaming preset does beat the Razer Surround software if anyone's still interested in having a wider soundstage presentation.

The question for me is whether the OOYH is worth buying at $150... No. If I could buy each preset for $25 and not have the base fee of $150, I would have bought it an hour ago.

There might be a discount next week for CanJam Socal. There was one for CanJam NYC 2017. At least that's what I'm hoping for, since I missed the last discount.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #869 of 1,284
There might be a discount next week for CanJam Socal. There was one for CanJam NYC 2017. At least that's what I'm hoping for, since I missed the last discount.

Thanks for the reply, do you happen to know if it's an in-house discount or will it be announced here that there will be a discount?

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #870 of 1,284

Hi @Nec3
Thanks for posting your impressions.

On Windows, the latency for all the presets is about the same since the processing engine is the same for all presets. The latency can be anywhere between 30ms and 100ms depending on the computer.

Also, people can buy just the gaming preset for $25. But for all the other presets, yes, the cost is $150 which comes with one preset and then $25 for each additional preset.

-Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back