Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Nov 17, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #841 of 1,284
  Hi @edwardsean ,
You can find the Mac version changelog here:
https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-mac-os-x-version-release-notes/

The only thing we changed was to add the three new presets. The software and engine has not changed at all.

Are you running Sierra? Which version of OS X are you running?

We are looking into an issue in Sierra which might cause some audio artifacts while using other apps or menus, etc. But we have not seen that on every Sierra system we've tested. We have also not seen this problem on previous versions of OS X.

But running a lot of processes in the background can certainly make the problem worse depending on the speed of your hardware.

Thanks,
-Darin

Thanks Darin, I am running Sierra v. 10.12.2. As I mentioned, it could just be my system. As you know, I am pushing it pretty hard.

I am really looking forward to the new machine (grin). My current audio system has a pretty black noise floor, it stinks to have it all ruined by my laptop fan. That's my fault of course because of all the software I'm running on top of OOYH. If Audirvana would just support multichannel plugins, I would be set. 

At any rate I ordered the new Mac mostly for my work, but part of the reason was to be able to run my audio software chain without fan noise. I hope it'll work out the way. 

Please do let us know if the Sierra issue gets resolved. I'll chime back in to let you know if the new machine w/ Sierra fixes the digital artifacting. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #842 of 1,284
Darin, sorry for the false alarm. it was totally my laptop. I took the audio hijack loop out of my chain and everything was smooth as glass, nary a snap, crackle, or pop. I should've thought of that first before writing in. So, it is just my additional system load and OS X processing fluctuations. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #843 of 1,284
Hey Darin. Could could you describe the kind of artifacts that you are getting with Sierra. For some time now I've noticed a very low level digital ringing or resonance artifact. I thought it had to do with my additional processing but is it possible that this is the Sierra issue with OOYH. I notice it mostly on quieter passages during decay trails. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #844 of 1,284
  Hey Darin. Could could you describe the kind of artifacts that you are getting with Sierra. For some time now I've noticed a very low level digital ringing or resonance artifact. I thought it had to do with my additional processing but is it possible that this is the Sierra issue with OOYH. I notice it mostly on quieter passages during decay trails. 

Hi @edwardsean ,

The artifact I am talking about has to do with the Mac version. When Out Of Your Head is running and any app redraws the graphics in it's GUI, that can cause a slight, fast clicking sound in Out Of Your Head. It occurs when you do something in another app like load a web page or move a window, or launch another app. 

I have not experienced the low level digital ringing issue you are describing.

-Darin

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #845 of 1,284
  Hi @edwardsean ,

The artifact I am talking about has to do with the Mac version. When Out Of Your Head is running and any app redraws the graphics in it's GUI, that can cause a slight, fast clicking sound in Out Of Your Head. It occurs when you do something in another app like load a web page or move a window, or launch another app. 

I have not experienced the low level digital ringing issue you are describing.

-Darin

Got it. Yes, I am experiencing that artifact on Sierra. I'm hoping that the new machine with more ram and processing power will clear it up somewhat. 

Thanks for confirming that the other issue I'm having is due to my other processing. It's what I suspected and reasonably tolerable. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #846 of 1,284
Hey Darin I am having a bit of a crisis here as I have been dealt a blow(death) to my system component(Motherboard). I sent you an email explaining the situation since I'm sure the current licence info I have will probably not work with whatever soon to be replacement board I have decide to get get.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #847 of 1,284
  Hey Darin I am having a bit of a crisis here as I have been dealt a blow(death) to my system component(Motherboard). I sent you an email explaining the situation since I'm sure the current licence info I have will probably not work with whatever soon to be replacement board I have decide to get get.

Hi @Paradigm,
(I don't believe I received your e-mail, but I am not sure what your e-mail address is. You can e-mail us via our website contact form or directly at "info-at-fongaudio-dot-com")
Sorry to hear about your motherboard. Replacing a major component like that is a pain.

But with regard to Out Of Your Head, it's no problem at all. 
You are correct, your existing license file will not work on a new motherboard, but we can issue you a new license, for no charge, of course.

Once your new computer is up and running, download and install the latest version of Out Of Your Head from our website:
https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-trial-download/ 

Then, launch Out Of Your Head.
Double click on any of the presets.
In the pop-up window, copy your UUID value and e-mail to us. (Please e-mail us from the e-mail you used to purchase the license originally, if possible or let us know which e-mail that you used so we can look up your license.)
Once we receive your e-mail, we can e-mail you a new license for your new computer.

Good luck with your new motherboard. I hope your "patient" has a speedy recovery.

-Darin

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #848 of 1,284
  Hi @Paradigm,
(I don't believe I received your e-mail, but I am not sure what your e-mail address is. You can e-mail us via our website contact form or directly at "info-at-fongaudio-dot-com")
Sorry to hear about your motherboard. Replacing a major component like that is a pain.

But with regard to Out Of Your Head, it's no problem at all. 
You are correct, your existing license file will not work on a new motherboard, but we can issue you a new license, for no charge, of course.

Once your new computer is up and running, download and install the latest version of Out Of Your Head from our website:
https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-trial-download/ 

Then, launch Out Of Your Head.
Double click on any of the presets.
In the pop-up window, copy your UUID value and e-mail to us. (Please e-mail us from the e-mail you used to purchase the license originally, if possible or let us know which e-mail that you used so we can look up your license.)
Once we receive your e-mail, we can e-mail you a new license for your new computer.

Good luck with your new motherboard. I hope your "patient" has a speedy recovery.

-Darin

My Email is Mim3tic***@gmail.com. I sent you an email, but I can send another one if for whatever reason you did receive it.

I am wondering Darin, how is Windows 10 with OFYH. I am a hardcore Windows 7 user and not a fan of 10 but eventually I will add a Windows 10 SSD drive to boot up into. I noticed your newer OFYH software version has a game mode which I am very interested in purchasing as in add on. I forgot how much the game mode licence costs since I don't have my PC working anymore in order to see. My understanding is that Windows 10 offers lower latency than 7 with respects to the Processing engine built into OFYH, do correct me if I am wrong. If I go windows 10 I will have to commit to it for my HTPC SSD and I am not sure I want to go that route without extensive testing with my HTPC software such as Madvr, MPC-HC etc......

In regards to the game mode, Is there a way you can issue me an interdependent licence when I purchase the Game mode so what I can exclusively use it on my Gaming Drive, as I usually keep my gaming install separate from my HTPC one. I don't like to mess with my HTPC Drive/setup once it's all setup correctly. Too many things can go wrong with having a gaming system install fused with a HTPC setup, hence why I use two different drives and OS install for each.

I had my PC setup this way before the grim reaper  came and visited it.

- SSD #1(500GB EVO)  Gaming Drive
- SSD #2(Crucial M4) HTPC drive with OFYH
- SSD #2 (Crucial M4) Full HardDrive Encryption(TrueCrypt) for work related purposes.

Maybe with my new board I will no longer encounter that problem where the licence would not register sometimes requiring me to reboot it 20 times before it accepted it. I wonder might the TWO identical Crucial M4 Drives had been a cause of that problem, with one of them being Encrypted? With my new setup I hope to have running soon I really would like to be able to avoid it tripping the licence up like it did with my previous dead board.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #849 of 1,284

My Email is Mim3tic***@gmail.com. I sent you an email, but I can send another one if for whatever reason you did receive it.

I am wondering Darin, how is Windows 10 with OFYH. I am a hardcore Windows 7 user and not a fan of 10 but eventually I will add a Windows 10 SSD drive to boot up into. I noticed your newer OFYH software version has a game mode which I am very interested in purchasing as in add on. I forgot how much the game mode licence costs since I don't have my PC working anymore in order to see. My understanding is that Windows 10 offers lower latency than 7 with respects to the Processing engine built into OFYH, do correct me if I am wrong. If I go windows 10 I will have to commit to it for my HTPC SSD and I am not sure I want to go that route without extensive testing with my HTPC software such as Madvr, MPC-HC etc......

In regards to the game mode, Is there a way you can issue me an interdependent licence when I purchase the Game mode so what I can exclusively use it on my Gaming Drive, as I usually keep my gaming install separate from my HTPC one. I don't like to mess with my HTPC Drive/setup once it's all setup correctly. Too many things can go wrong with having a gaming system install fused with a HTPC setup, hence why I use two different drives and OS install for each.

I had my PC setup this way before the grim reaper  came and visited it.

- SSD #1(500GB EVO)  Gaming Drive
- SSD #2(Crucial M4) HTPC drive with OFYH
- SSD #2 (Crucial M4) Full HardDrive Encryption(TrueCrypt) for work related purposes.

Maybe with my new board I will no longer encounter that problem where the licence would not register sometimes requiring me to reboot it 20 times before it accepted it. I wonder might the TWO identical Crucial M4 Drives had been a cause of that problem, with one of them being Encrypted? With my new setup I hope to have running soon I really would like to be able to avoid it tripping the licence up like it did with my previous dead board.

I am not 100% of what you're asking, but...

First, I believe the latest version of Out Of Your Head works with Windows 7, 8, and 10. So you can use the latest version with any of your boot modes. The sound quality and latency should be the same no matter which OS you boot into.

Also, the Gamer Preset, uses the same engine as all the other presets. There is no difference between the Gamer version and the other presets. The only reason we have the Gamer version is to offer a low cost way for people to use Out Of Your Head technology without having to purchase the full Out Of Your Head license. So for people who don't care about accessing all the different speaker presets, and just want high quality 7.1 audio with their headphones, they can get that for $25 instead of $150.

If you already have a $150 license for Out Of Your Head, then your presets will work just as well for gaming as the Gaming Preset. However, if you try the Gamer Preset and find that the sound signature of the speakers and room works well for gaming for you, then you can certainly purchase the Gamer Preset for $25, which is the same price as adding any of the other presets.

So, with that said, I understand that you would potentially need a different license for each version of Windows that you boot into. I am not 100% sure since the hardware is the same, but I suspect if the boot drive changes, then your Out Of Your Head UUID value will also change. Once you get back up and running, let me know what the UUID's are for each Windows version you boot and we will figure it out for you so the license will work no matter which version of Windows you boot into.

-Darin

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #850 of 1,284
Thanks a bunch Darin for answering my questions. I wasn't aware of the gamer preset situation and thought it was a special Low latency mode for 7.1 audio with games. With that being said how bad is the latency with the newest version of OFYH such as do you noticed the audio latency not matching up with the game sound actions? .

On my rig I was still using the software version from 11 months ago which had double the latency then your newer version which had a much quicker more efficient processing engine and was also louder. I own 3 audio Presets:

-Genelec( The most neutral and accurate DSP preset for my HD650's that sounds the least processed for listening to Music)
- Italian Speakers(I use this one for all the Movies I watch)
-2.1 planar magnetic speakers, forgot the name. I use them for electronic music as I like the fast decay and bass extension they produce for that type of music.

I will have to at some point try them out with games to see how they sound since I usually rely on my Sound Blaster Titanium HD CMSS for HRTF in 7.1 games.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #851 of 1,284
  Thanks a bunch Darin for answering my questions. I wasn't aware of the gamer preset situation and thought it was a special Low latency mode for 7.1 audio with games. With that being said how bad is the latency with the newest version of OFYH such as do you noticed the audio latency not matching up with the game sound actions? .

On my rig I was still using the software version from 11 months ago which had double the latency then your newer version which had a much quicker more efficient processing engine and was also louder. I own 3 audio Presets:

-Genelec( The most neutral and accurate DSP preset for my HD650's that sounds the least processed for listening to Music)
- Italian Speakers(I use this one for all the Movies I watch)
-2.1 planar magnetic speakers, forgot the name. I use them for electronic music as I like the fast decay and bass extension they produce for that type of music.

I will have to at some point try them out with games to see how they sound since I usually rely on my Sound Blaster Titanium HD CMSS for HRTF in 7.1 games.

With the low latency engine, the latency can get down to 30ms, but on most systems, it's probably higher than that and get as high as 90ms.

For gaming, based on the presets you own, I would recommend the Genelec preset. It's a well damped room that doesn't have a lot of room interaction/reverberation. But definitely try the two 7.1 presets you own. The latency should be the same for all of them.

-Darin

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #852 of 1,284
Okay I usually just lurk, but I wanted to make an account so I could chime in on this one. A few weeks ago I was searching around for some kind of software that could do the virtual surround thing and found this thread. Never heard of OOYH before and thought it was scam software claiming to emulate high end surround systems, I tried it anyway. First impression was that its kind of a shoddy piece of software. Was odd to install at least on my pc, requiring me to jump through some hoops to correct an error. It doesn't look very pretty either, I had low expectations.

When I actually got OOYH running and tried it for the first time I actually tried to lower the volume on my speakers because I legit thought the sound was coming from them. Once I realized the volume wasn't going down I pulled off my cans and couldn't believe it! The sound actually seems to be coming from OUT OF YOUR HEAD! That was cool, and it keeps happening to me too. There's not many things that make me want to go back through my music library and listen to all of my music again, but this is like getting a new sound system or being at a live location listening to music. Its a different and refreshing as hell experience. I spent weeks flipping through my music with the different virtual systems available. The software was sitting on my computer in a temp folder ready to be deleted but I just couldn't do it. Finally I broke down decided to go ahead and buy a license because its just too good.

So this is one of those weird hidden gems no ones heard of but are totally worth the money basically. Also Mr. Fong is really great at the customer service and will answer you questions personally. This is one of those things that, if people knew about it, it would be used by everyone. Quad ESL speakers are my bae + Egyptian Theater (wish I could afford to buy it) 

One thing though, please for the love of god let me use OOYH on my other computers. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #853 of 1,284
  Okay I usually just lurk, but I wanted to make an account so I could chime in on this one. A few weeks ago I was searching around for some kind of software that could do the virtual surround thing and found this thread. Never heard of OOYH before and thought it was scam software claiming to emulate high end surround systems, I tried it anyway. First impression was that its kind of a shoddy piece of software. Was odd to install at least on my pc, requiring me to jump through some hoops to correct an error. It doesn't look very pretty either, I had low expectations.

When I actually got OOYH running and tried it for the first time I actually tried to lower the volume on my speakers because I legit thought the sound was coming from them. Once I realized the volume wasn't going down I pulled off my cans and couldn't believe it! The sound actually seems to be coming from OUT OF YOUR HEAD! That was cool, and it keeps happening to me too. There's not many things that make me want to go back through my music library and listen to all of my music again, but this is like getting a new sound system or being at a live location listening to music. Its a different and refreshing as hell experience. I spent weeks flipping through my music with the different virtual systems available. The software was sitting on my computer in a temp folder ready to be deleted but I just couldn't do it. Finally I broke down decided to go ahead and buy a license because its just too good.

So this is one of those weird hidden gems no ones heard of but are totally worth the money basically. Also Mr. Fong is really great at the customer service and will answer you questions personally. This is one of those things that, if people knew about it, it would be used by everyone. Quad ESL speakers are my bae + Egyptian Theater (wish I could afford to buy it) 

One thing though, please for the love of god let me use OOYH on my other computers. 

Hi @DanWhite,

Thanks for posting your impressions. Nice first post...
biggrin.gif

Yes, as I have said before, designing and programming user interfaces is not my forte. But given our limited resources, we wanted to spend the time improving the Out Of Your Head processing engine vs. hiring a real UX designer and programmer. Hopefully someday we can dedicate more resources to UX. I know it's important and would probably lead to more sales.

But glad you liked the sound from Out Of Your Head.

With regard to multiple computers. While you're right, an Out Of Your Head license can be used on only one computer, you don't have to buy a full license for additional computers. Using your same e-mail address on another computer, you can license multiple additional computers for the cost of a speaker preset license ($25), rather than buying a full ($150) license. So, you can license additional computers for $25 each.

Thanks,
-Darin

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #854 of 1,284
I'll be attending my first CanJam in NY on Saturday and I've secured a slot to check out the Smyth Realiser A16 and also have a PRIR made. I also have an A16 on order via the Smyth Kickstarter campaign. As Smyth will be producing PRIRs at CanJam using an Atmos setup, I was curious to know if an Atmos PRIR could be used to make a personalized OOYH preset for listening via laptop and Chord Mojo when on the go. Thanks.

Esau

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #855 of 1,284
I'll be attending my first CanJam in NY on Saturday and I've secured a slot to check out the Smyth Realiser A16 and also have a PRIR made. I also have an A16 on order via the Smyth Kickstarter campaign. As Smyth will be producing PRIRs at CanJam using an Atmos setup, I was curious to know if an Atmos PRIR could be used to make a personalized OOYH preset for listening via laptop and Chord Mojo when on the go. Thanks.

Esau

Hi @esimms86 ,

Thanks for posting. Too bad we won't be attending CanJam NYC. But we will be offering a "show special" for everyone even if they don't make it to NYC. Follow us to be notified about the special.

Unless the PRIR files from the A16 are somehow compatible with the Realiser A8 (which I assume they're not), then we will not be able to convert Reliser A16 measurement files for use with Out Of Your Head until after the A16 is released to the public. 
We can still convert any Realiser A8 measurement files to use with Out Of Your Head though.

Also, Out Of Your Head does not currently support more than 8 channels of audio. We are planning on supporting 16 or more channels in the future. But for now, 7.1 is the maximum. 

Thanks,
Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back