Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Jun 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #511 of 1,284
  Darin I am having an issue with the software. I updated OOYH from version 1_1J to 1_1J2.

When the installation is complete I get a message from windows.

So basically the new driver for 64 bit OS is not digitally signed? Is this just happening to me or anyone else cause I can no longer launch OHYH nor do i see the drivers in player devices present.

Hi Paradigm,

Thanks for posting.

All the versions of our driver are definitely digitally signed. No one else has reported this problem so far.
Maybe try:
  1. Uninstall Out Of Your Head.
  2. Then go into your "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" folder and delete the "outofyourhead.sys" file.
  3. Then delete the directory "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\msvad.inf_amd64_" (The rest of the directory name is different on every system, but check the directory and make sure there is an "outofyourhead.sys" file in the directory BEFORE you delete it.)
  4. Then reboot
  5. Download the Out Of Your Head trial installer again.
  6. Then try installing Out Of Your Head again.

The only reason I can think of that is causing the "not signed" error is if the driver files somehow got corrupted or changed. This would "break" the digital signature.
Please feel free to e-mail us directly if you still have problems or you can post here.
-Darin

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #512 of 1,284
I restored my system to an image I made 4 months earlier. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Edit: It seems my licences are no longer working anymore. Might this have to do with the fact that I added an additional SSD and 3TB drive to my system?

Thank you so much for the professional prompt response Darin and help provided via Email. My OFYH is fully functional and ready to go.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #513 of 1,284
Managed to read to page 21, rest awaiting... great thread, lots of useful info.

I got to this page when searching for reviews to get a good surround headset. Bro bought Logitech G35 which I kinda liked for movies but not at all for music, since I own HD600 and DT770. Then looked at Sennheiser RT 775 and probably would buy those if not for OOYH. So am really happy to find this product, which costs as much as that G35...

Now I won't need to have three headpones on my desk, but just the two I enjoy....

I was mainly looking to get surround headset for movies, since I watch them only late at night, so I have two questions for now:

1. To avoid clipping I figured already by myself I have to lower either media player output or OOYH input.... is there any difference to which one I lower re sound quality?

2. There are many profiles, I got myself Magico for movies but seems to me I might buy another one for music... of course I'll test what sounds best to my ears but I still like to hear other people opinions....

I liked this sharing on this thread:

My favorite presets with HD650's are as follows:
#1 Genelec Recording Studio (all around good)
#2 Italian Speakers (music + Movies)
#3 Sasha (certain Classical albums)
#4 AZen Maestro (movies)

First diciding factors will be my ears, but say if I like 3 profiles about the same and I want to get 1 of those 3, I'll decide also with help of you all :)

So, shoot out your favorites. I guess others might benefit from such sharings as well.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #514 of 1,284
Sure. I like the beyerdynamic T1 and the AKG701 with the Acoustic Zen 5.1 and the Cello Speakers settings. They are both a little bass light, which balances well with those settings. The T1's incredible depth really shines with OOYH. All the people I've demoed it with look downright shocked when they try it. The K701 plus OOYH sounds nearly as good. With John Coltrane's 1961 Village Vanguard concert, it sounds like you're actually there. Quite magical.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #516 of 1,284
The "out of head" effect is really kicking in, I think I "got it".... it's such a huge difference... I am really not sure if I like it better for music than "in head" effect. I kinda really like it to feel "music within me". It's true though, I never had good speakers and when at home I am listening only with my headphones, so probably that's why it seems I don't prefer "out of head" effect. I guess thought that those with good speakers setup prefer this kind of "out of head" sound?

But on the other hand, I think I might change my mind in future.... I'll keep listening to music with OOYH for some time and then decide. It does sound strange (worse) when I switch it off after longer listening periods....

As for movies, this product is really a winner, it stays with me, forever :) In SMPlayer I set audio delay to 450ms and sync of vide/audio seems right. As for games I yet have to try, but that's no priority for anyway....

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #518 of 1,284
Yes, I got that in foobar... in this order: 1. Channel Mixer, 2. Dolby Headphone and  3. Resampler (SoX). I'll compare that with no DSPs + OOYH. And BTW, my DAC is CA DacMagic Plus.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #519 of 1,284
Hi,MrYMan,

I have a couple of recommendations for pre-sets for you,as well as a headphone rec.

As I'm sure we all realize, all these presets can sound completely different to any two individuals because of the variations between those individuals' respective HRTFs.

But even so I have three strong recommendations:

1. Genelec Studio for Movies.  This preset is so detailed and neutral, it works startlingly well in 5 channel mode.  I was watching Netflix's Marco Polo episode 1 on the desktop 5.1 channel streaming version and the sound track sounded exactly like a high end home theatre. Absolutely breathtaking. 

2. Sasha for music.  The thing I like about this preset is the complete absence of metallic coloration in the highs.  Wilson uses only fabric dome tweeters and the difference is quite audible in its naturalness.  Some audiphiles may feel that metallic dome tweeters add a sense of liveliness to high frequency material, I feel they just add ringing. The Wilsons also do a nice job integrating lower midrange to the upper bass region, which is a real achilles heel for most speaker designs.  Their major shortcoming is in the deep bass which is of course a subtractive fault, and may not even be noticeable depending on your choice of phones. But there is a third choice that retains most of Wilsons virtues while having a much better bass response.

3.  JM Labs Focal Utopia.  They sound slightly zippier than the Wilsons, but not terribly annoyingly so, They work well both for 2 channel music and 5.1 channel cinema, and they do go deep.  A great 7,1 channel all rounder.

Don't know if you are in the market for a flagship headphone, but I don;t see how you could go wrong with a pair of LCD X's.  Expensive to be sure, but really easy to drive.  I'm driving mine with a LHGO1000 and am extremely happy with the sound (and I am EXTREMELY PICKY). I chose the LCD X's because I did not want to own three headphones, 4 headphone amps/dacs, and 3 sets of cables, and spend half my life trying mods to tame an "accurate" but "ruthlessly revealing" top end.  I just wanted to relax and listen to music and watch movies,  I wanted to shed the "audiophile" hair shirt, and the Audeze's with OOYH lets me do that.  Also, I find the headphone to be extremely comfortable as long as I'm leaning back in a chair with a good headrest.  The black finish with lambskin pads have the look  and feel of a high end luxury product and actually found them brand new at a discount.  I've also invested in the Sonnox Oxford Equalizer plug in which I will run through J River MC20.  I'm sure using Sonnox will take a great phone and make it a nearly perfect transducer. Again, don't see how you could go wrong with that phone. And it work wonderfully well with OOYH.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #520 of 1,284
I have an issue I need resolved, and I'm hoping either Darin or another OOYH user can help me with it.

Simply put, the OOYH software creates severe latency problems on my machine. (Dell Inspiron 3521 with Celeron Duo Core N2830 processor which has integrated graphics processing).

I am using this machine to run streaming video and audio off the Net.  My Isp is Comcast 105 extreme and I use a Motorola SBG 6580 N300 Dual Band Router/Modem which is giving me a consistent 50 MBPS stream which I'm using to run Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, Tidal, and some streaming from Kodi (Genesis video add on).  

I also own the HeaDSPeaker unit which I am using for multi channel Home Theatre listening. 

I am using JRiver JM20 as my media player, and Avast is my antivirus.

My problem is OOYH sounds absolutely gorgeous, and is very usable for 2 channel listening over TIDAL.  It sound equally gorgeous for multi channel listening when streaming video, but introduces horrendous amounts of latency.  Typically when streaming Netflix Metro I'm getting 15-20 seconds of latency.  I've put the performance monitor in windows up side-by-side with Netflix as it streams while using OOYH and I'm seeing the processor top out frequently.  Not suprisingly, that when I get stalled video, and or audio and even more latency as a result.
On the other hand HeaDSPeaker plays these streams through my machine with zero latency,  It just doesn't sound nearly as good as OOYH, which is why I'm bothering to try to address this issue.

The problem is only exacerbated when I introduce JRiver into the playback chain-which I would like to do, since it offers a multitude of DSP programs which can equalize my phones.

The way I see it, I need a new computer to play OOYH and stream Netflix and the other services.  OOYH when up and running is using as much as 50-60% of my processor, and I tried disabling my anitvirus which is also a processor hog, but it's not nearly enough to solve the problem.  

I researched my machine and learned about PassMark scores from PC magazine, my processor scores around 1000 on its passmark score, which clearly seems on the very low side, looking at the benchmark page for these scores on their website.

So what I think I need is some sort of idea (hopefully a very specific one) on what kind of machine I need to run my streaming applications through JRiver to OOYH in a way which minimizes latency.  I also understand some people are getting around 400ms latency when the program is running properly.  I assume this means the picture is 400ms ahead of the sound.
Is Jriver capable of accepting and processing Netflix and other services video streams, because what needs to happen is the video needs to be delayed to properly sync it to the audio, it won't help if JRivers processing delays the audio because the video is ahead of the audio.v15
I'm hoping for a very specific recommendation for a new computer, I can easily go as high as $1500 and have been looking at stuff like Alienware 15, Acer Aspire v15 Nitro, gaming machines (butI'm not a gamer), as well as HP Envy Slim I7 15t Quad, and even the I7 version of Microsoft Surface Pro 3.  I probably don't want to buy more PC than I need, but 4k is coming and, so then again, maybe a little bit of an overspend is not such a bad idea.

What I would especially like is the experience of other OOYH users as to whether its possible to use my streaming config  (Netflix, Hulu, Sling ===>JRiver MC20===>OOYH===>LHGO===>Audeze LCDX, and what kind of PassMark score a machine capable of running that kind of score needs to have. Tne makers of Play On video player, for instance include a PassMark recommendation that let's their users know how much processor they will need to properly run the software.

That being said OOYH runs 2 channel beautifully on a machine I'v paid all so $150 for, but obviously I'd like to get something that will handle home theatre channel applications to complete the experience.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #521 of 1,284
  I have an issue I need resolved, and I'm hoping either Darin or another OOYH user can help me with it.

Simply put, the OOYH software creates severe latency problems on my machine. (Dell Inspiron 3521 with Celeron Duo Core N2830 processor which has integrated graphics processing).

I am using this machine to run streaming video and audio off the Net.  My Isp is Comcast 105 extreme and I use a Motorola SBG 6580 N300 Dual Band Router/Modem which is giving me a consistent 50 MBPS stream which I'm using to run Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, Tidal, and some streaming from Kodi (Genesis video add on).  

I also own the HeaDSPeaker unit which I am using for multi channel Home Theatre listening. 

I am using JRiver JM20 as my media player, and Avast is my antivirus.

My problem is OOYH sounds absolutely gorgeous, and is very usable for 2 channel listening over TIDAL.  It sound equally gorgeous for multi channel listening when streaming video, but introduces horrendous amounts of latency.  Typically when streaming Netflix Metro I'm getting 15-20 seconds of latency.  I've put the performance monitor in windows up side-by-side with Netflix as it streams while using OOYH and I'm seeing the processor top out frequently.  Not suprisingly, that when I get stalled video, and or audio and even more latency as a result.
On the other hand HeaDSPeaker plays these streams through my machine with zero latency,  It just doesn't sound nearly as good as OOYH, which is why I'm bothering to try to address this issue.

The problem is only exacerbated when I introduce JRiver into the playback chain-which I would like to do, since it offers a multitude of DSP programs which can equalize my phones.

The way I see it, I need a new computer to play OOYH and stream Netflix and the other services.  OOYH when up and running is using as much as 50-60% of my processor, and I tried disabling my anitvirus which is also a processor hog, but it's not nearly enough to solve the problem.  

I researched my machine and learned about PassMark scores from PC magazine, my processor scores around 1000 on its passmark score, which clearly seems on the very low side, looking at the benchmark page for these scores on their website.

So what I think I need is some sort of idea (hopefully a very specific one) on what kind of machine I need to run my streaming applications through JRiver to OOYH in a way which minimizes latency.  I also understand some people are getting around 400ms latency when the program is running properly.  I assume this means the picture is 400ms ahead of the sound.
Is Jriver capable of accepting and processing Netflix and other services video streams, because what needs to happen is the video needs to be delayed to properly sync it to the audio, it won't help if JRivers processing delays the audio because the video is ahead of the audio.v15
I'm hoping for a very specific recommendation for a new computer, I can easily go as high as $1500 and have been looking at stuff like Alienware 15, Acer Aspire v15 Nitro, gaming machines (butI'm not a gamer), as well as HP Envy Slim I7 15t Quad, and even the I7 version of Microsoft Surface Pro 3.  I probably don't want to buy more PC than I need, but 4k is coming and, so then again, maybe a little bit of an overspend is not such a bad idea.

What I would especially like is the experience of other OOYH users as to whether its possible to use my streaming config  (Netflix, Hulu, Sling ===>JRiver MC20===>OOYH===>LHGO===>Audeze LCDX, and what kind of PassMark score a machine capable of running that kind of score needs to have. Tne makers of Play On video player, for instance include a PassMark recommendation that let's their users know how much processor they will need to properly run the software.

That being said OOYH runs 2 channel beautifully on a machine I'v paid all so $150 for, but obviously I'd like to get something that will handle home theatre channel applications to complete the experience.

Hi @phoenixdogfan ,

Thanks for posting.
As you have found, your current system is simply not powerful enough to run multi-channel audio and stream or watch video at the same time. The oldest laptop I have is a Dell Core2Duo processor T7800 2.60 GHz, and that laptop can barely handle 1080p video and 8 channels of audio with Out Of Your Head. 

The bottom line is that being software only, the processing requirements are significant to process 8 channels of audio while also decoding video, especially say h.264 1080p.

However, I do have relatively inexpensive Intel laptops that can play everything perfectly without a problem. Those systems are i5 or i7 mobile processors. A desktop machine would be even faster. I have a 1st gen Surface Pro with an i5-3317U CPU that plays everything fine.

I would say, any current gen i5 (I think most current machines for sale are 4th gen, but there may be some good deals on 3rd gen processors) would work fine. I suppose an i3 might work too, but I just haven't personally tested an i3 system. 
So if you have a budget of $1500, any laptop for that price will be more than adequate for using Out Of Your Head. At that price point, I wouldn't worry about the specs for Out Of Your Head specifically. Just get what you want. I bought a refurbished Dell 13inch 2-in-1 i7-5500U laptop for under $600. A Surface Pro 3 should also work great (not the ARM based Surface, but a Surface Pro).

The typical Windows system has about 400ms delay in the current release version. JRiver is capable of handling such a large offset.

However, we are really close to releasing a new version of Out Of Your Head which has much lower latency. The new version adds about 30ms to 80ms latency to the existing latency in a given machine. I have found that on a typical Windows machine, I get about 40ms to 60ms latency with JRiver out to a USB DAC without Out Of Your Head running. With the low latency version of Out Of Your Head, the latency would be increased to about 70ms to 140ms, depending on the computer and the USB DAC. (BTW, JRiver to LH Geek Out on my systems has about 60ms latency without Out Of Your Head running.)

This lower latency allows you to watch all content without worrying too much about audio sync. I watch Netflix and YouTube with the new version of Out Of Your Head all the time without any problems.

The new version would require you to get a faster computer than you currently own, but most 3rd or 4th gen "i" core processors should be able to handle it, no problem.
The new version will also be a free upgrade to existing customers.

I am hoping to release the new version within a few weeks or less. The Mac OS X version will also get an upgrade to low latency as well at the same time.

Thanks again for you post and let me know if you have any other questions. If you ever need a quicker response, please contact us directly via our website. 

-Darin Fong

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #523 of 1,284
Hi, Darin what about Windows 10 support?

Hi @olegausany,

The new low latency version supports Windows 10. We are waiting for Microsoft to release their C++ libraries (today, I think), so we can test further. Then hopefully we should be OK with Windows 10 support by the time Windows 10 is released at the end of this month.

-Darin

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #524 of 1,284
Hi, Darin what about Windows 10 support?

Hi @olegausany,

The new low latency version supports Windows 10. We are waiting for Microsoft to release their C++ libraries (today, I think), so we can test further. Then hopefully we should be OK with Windows 10 support by the time Windows 10 is released at the end of this month.

-Darin

That good, thanks

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #525 of 1,284
When I migrate from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, will my licences still work ?
I also have a minor issue : every time i want to use OOYH after i booted my computer, i have to launch the software, close it and launch it again, otherwise on the first launch, sound stops after two minutes, even though it detected licences fine...
It's not a big deal, i just have to remember to launch/stop/relaunch the software, but still it's a bit annoying :xf_eek:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back