Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Jul 22, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #526 of 1,284
When I migrate from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, will my licences still work ?
I also have a minor issue : every time i want to use OOYH after i booted my computer, i have to launch the software, close it and launch it again, otherwise on the first launch, sound stops after two minutes, even though it detected licences fine...
It's not a big deal, i just have to remember to launch/stop/relaunch the software, but still it's a bit annoying :xf_eek:)

Instead of relaunching just click Cancel when Buy licence popup appears but honestly it's annoying

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #527 of 1,284
  When I migrate from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, will my licences still work ?
I also have a minor issue : every time i want to use OOYH after i booted my computer, i have to launch the software, close it and launch it again, otherwise on the first launch, sound stops after two minutes, even though it detected licences fine...
It's not a big deal, i just have to remember to launch/stop/relaunch the software, but still it's a bit annoying :xf_eek:)

Instead of relaunching just click Cancel when Buy licence popup appears but honestly it's annoying

Hi @Fox1977

When you migrate to Windows 10, you will need to email us your new UUID so we can send you a new license file. Also, the current release version will not run in Windows 10. You will have to upgrade to our yet to be released low latency version.

Regarding the launching bug, @olegausany is right. Just click cancel when the Purchase License window opens. Then to get the sound started again, change to another speaker preset and switch back.

Alternately, when Out Of Your Head first launches, just switch to another preset and back. This should prevent the two minute timer windows from popping up if you have a licensed preset selected.

I am embarrassed to say that that is a known bug and we have worked a long time to try and fix it. Sadly, that same bug is still in the new low latency version. We just cannot figure out why that happens! We have tried everything. We'll keep working to fix that bug. I know it's pretty annoying. Sorry!

-Darin

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #528 of 1,284
Darin:

Thank you for the quick reply. 

I too experience the "launching bug" and it is annoying.

The low latency version sound like just the ticket, do you have a roll out date yet?

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #529 of 1,284

When you migrate to Windows 10, you will need to email us your new UUID so we can send you a new license file. Also, the current release version will not run in Windows 10. You will have to upgrade to our yet to be released low latency version.

When Win 10 comes I play to keep Win 8 on C: partition and install Win 10 on D: partition.... at least for a while, until I am sure Win 10 works without problems... So, will I'll be able to have OOYH installed on Win 10 as well, besides keeping it on Win 8?

...that same bug is still in the new low latency version...

When watching movies with current version I enter -450ms delay, is that the right figure for current version?
And what will be the right figure for new OOYH version?

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #530 of 1,284
When Win 10 comes I play to keep Win 8 on C: partition and install Win 10 on D: partition.... at least for a while, until I am sure Win 10 works without problems... So, will I'll be able to have OOYH installed on Win 10 as well, besides keeping it on Win 8?

Yes, you can have Out Of Your Head installed on both versions of Windows. YOu will however need a separate license file for each version of Windows. When you're ready, contact us with your Windows 10 UUID and we can issue you an updated license file.
When watching movies with current version I enter -450ms delay, is that the right figure for current version?
And what will be the right figure for new OOYH version?

Yes, on Windows, the typical latency is 450ms.

For the new low latency version, you must have a relatively fast computer. (Intel Core i3, i5, or i7) For fast computers, Out Of Your Head low latency adds about 30ms to 60ms to any existing latency. (Most systems with a USB DAC have inherent latency without Out Of Your Head. This latency can vary between machines and devices. On my Windows i5 laptop, the latency with a Geek Out DAC is about 60ms without Out Of Your Head running.)

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #531 of 1,284
I've had the trial of OOYH since May, but I haven't had much time to test it for an extended time until now. What I've noticed about this, as well as anything related to binaural recording or simulation, is that IEMs give me a much more convincing experience of "being there". With OOYH, suprisingly my $10 Samsung earbuds give a very convincing experience, even if the frequency and everything else about the earbuds sound bad. I have to say, they sound more like I'm listening to speakers than using my HD650s. I think this may have to do with the way the measurements were recorded, since I think Darin said at one point the microphones were placed near or just outside the ear canal entrance. Like I said before, this is not just with OOYH, it's also with binaural recordings I've heard, as well as binaural test recordings I've made with my own ears. Can anyone else confirm using IEMs for OOYH gives a slightly if not more than slightly convincing speaker experience? 

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #532 of 1,284
  I've had the trial of OOYH since May, but I haven't had much time to test it for an extended time until now. What I've noticed about this, as well as anything related to binaural recording or simulation, is that IEMs give me a much more convincing experience of "being there". With OOYH, suprisingly my $10 Samsung earbuds give a very convincing experience, even if the frequency and everything else about the earbuds sound bad. I have to say, they sound more like I'm listening to speakers than using my HD650s. I think this may have to do with the way the measurements were recorded, since I think Darin said at one point the microphones were placed near or just outside the ear canal entrance. Like I said before, this is not just with OOYH, it's also with binaural recordings I've heard, as well as binaural test recordings I've made with my own ears. Can anyone else confirm using IEMs for OOYH gives a slightly if not more than slightly convincing speaker experience? 

Hi @achelgeson ,

Like most things, everyone has vastly different preferences and experiences, especially with regard to Out Of Your Head. There are SO many variable at work.

A lot of people have actually told me the opposite. They find the more open headphones give them a better experience with Out Of Your Head. We are talking about electrostatic headphones or HD800's, etc. I think part of that reason is that there is a sense that the sound you are hearing could be coming from speakers in the room rather than the headphones. With open headphones, you can hear all the sound in the room and your brain can believe that you are really hearing speakers not headphones. Some say that headphones with better imaging work better with Out Of Your Head. 

I personally think that the Out Of Your Head "effect" is so much different than even the best imaging headphones, that the Out Of Your Head effect works well with closed headphones and IEM/CIEM's too. It's not a requirement to have headphones that image well on their own.

Another reason why IEM's or CIEM's can sound better is that they are much lighter and less obtrusive. Since it feels like you're not wearing any headphones, maybe it's easier for your brain to believe you're not wearing headphones since you can't feel them and what you are hearing doesn't sound like you're wearing headphones either. (This is pure speculation. The brain is very interesting when it comes to binaural audio.)

I don't think the capture method makes a difference with regard to IEM's working better than other headphones.

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #533 of 1,284
I'm thinking of buying this software in the future, but I have one question: are there any plans to add support of the head track technology? I think that adding this feature will help to recreate better the "out of the head" effect, I already have a head tracker for gaming.

Thanks!

(I want a realizer, but I think I will never afford to buy one, its very expensive...)

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #535 of 1,284
Most Realiser users don't bother with the head tracker, it's a bit cumbersome and effect is fine without it anyway.

Any Source for that statement about realizer users?

The simulation of the speaker position with the head tracker is one of the most interesting features of the realizer for me...

Btw, I cant properly get to work the out of the head software with the ac3filter, the audio is all clipped and the volume too low, any advice?

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #536 of 1,284
Most Realiser users don't bother with the head tracker, it's a bit cumbersome and effect is fine without it anyway.

The simulation of the speaker position with the head tracker is one of the most interesting features of the realizer for me...

Btw, I cant properly get to work the out of the head software with the ac3filter, the audio is all clipped and the volume too low, any advice?

Thanks!

Which player are you using? It's volume setting should be set to maximum

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #537 of 1,284

Have you actually read the Realiser user threads here? If you sit behind a desk or glued to a sofa and don't care about the thingamajik on your head, then fine. I don't really care for the extra effect, sometimes it's even more distracting, not to mention if you accidently move your head out of the zone. If you want to help your brain, making dummy cardboard speakers for the correct distance probably works better for less hassle.

Not to mention the problem of actually creating similar quality hardware, selling it and implementing PC software. How to connect it with a super low latency? OOYH already has a huge latency. Realiser has a tiny 16ms head tracking latency from movement to headphone output - try to duplicate that with a USB dongle lol..

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #538 of 1,284

Thanks!

Hi @Dorohedoro,

As @olegausany asked, What media player software are you using with ac3filter? I can try to duplicate your software configuration to test it.

Regarding the head tracker, while head tracking can be useful for demos or to help your brain get used to localizing the virtual speaker locations, I have found that once you get used to the sound of the virtual speakers, head tracking makes very little difference. I agree with @hekeli that from the posts on Head-Fi, many Realiser owners do not use the head tracker ultimately.

We may look into supporting head tracking in the future, but currently there are no plans for incorporating head tracking.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #539 of 1,284
Is this affected by the soundstage of the headphones used?
I might be interested in this for my on the go setup, but with the soundstage of the M50x (I love them anyway) it'd seem that they wouldn't pick up the nuances the DSP brings. Am I wrong?
(I don't have the time to throughly test it right now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back