Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #496 of 1,284
  I just decided to purchase  the Acoustic Zen Maestro Speaker preset after trying on several DVD, Blu-Ray and headphones. I am now all set. I would like a lite version of the control panel with just the presets I have ordered.  

Hi @john57 ,

Thank you for your purchase!

I think you are on Windows. If you like, you can go to the Out Of Your Head install directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Darin Fong Audio\Out Of Your Head\

In that directory, you will see a ".cef" and a ".inf" file for each of the speaker presets. If you move all the presets you don't want to see to another folder or a subfolder, then they will not appear when you launch Out Of Your Head.

Out Of Your Head just scans the install directory for all the preset files and shows a list of whatever it finds in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel.

If you ever want to try any of the "missing" presets, just copy those preset files back to the Out Of Your Head install directory.

-Darin

May 2, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #499 of 1,284
  Your idea of removing the unused presets does not work otherwise the program will try to reinstall itself.

Right, I forgot about that Windows "feature". Let me see if I can figure out a workaround for that.

May 2, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #500 of 1,284
  Hi Darin,

Just wondering which preset did you use for the Hotel California and Pink Floyd songs on your demo page.

Thanks.

I am pretty sure those were made with the Acoustic Zen preset.

May 2, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #501 of 1,284
Originally Posted by john57 
  Your idea of removing the unused presets does not work otherwise the program will try to reinstall itself.

Quote:
  Right, I forgot about that Windows "feature". Let me see if I can figure out a workaround for that.

I just tried it on my Windows 8.1 system and I was able to move the speaker preset .inf and .cef files to a subfolder. When I launched Out Of Your Head, Windows did not try to reinstall Out Of Your Head. Out Of Your Head just ran and the removed speaker preset files did not appear in the list of speaker presets.

Make sure you are not moving any other files. Only move the .cef and .inf files that are speaker presets. Those files begin with "DAR0000X". If you move any other files from the Out Of Your Head install directory, Out Of Your Head may try to reinstall the missing files or not run.

Or maybe there is some system setting that is making your system behave differently than mine. I will double check on a few other computers.

-Darin

May 2, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #503 of 1,284
  I tried again on my Win7 64bit with one unused preset into a sub folder at different places, no luck since the program is trying to find the install file.

Hmm...I just tried moving one preset to a subfolder on another Windows 8.1 machine and a Windows 7 machine and neither complained or tried to reinstall Out Of Your Head.

So, if you leave all the presets in the Out Of Your Head install directory, Out Of Your Head runs fine.
Then you copy one .inf and .cef file to a subdirectory in the Out Of Your Head install directory, and when you launch Out Of Your Head , Windows tries to find the installer and will not launch Out Of Your Head?

Just making sure I understand what's happening on your system.

-Darin

May 6, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #505 of 1,284
Hi Darin,

I have encountered an ongoing problem when using OOYH, the music has been cut off intermittently which is quite annoying. First I thought it was my computer so I've done a fair bit of system tuning (uninstalled loads of programs, clean up the hard drive, free up the memories (8G) etc). I even switch off Antivirus, Wifi & bluetooth while playing music, still couldn't get rid of that cut off issue.

When I redirect the output from JRiver straight to my Aune T1 (totally bypass OOYH), it works fine. While running OOYH, I opened the system tools to check the CPU as well as RAM usage and it showed there was plenty of buffer left if needed.

My set up are listed as below:

Win 7
intel i5
8G RAM
JRiver
DAC: Aune T1 + Telefunken
Pangea silver USB

Would you please give me some advice? 

Cheers,
William

May 11, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #506 of 1,284
  Hi Darin,

I have encountered an ongoing problem when using OOYH, the music has been cut off intermittently which is quite annoying. First I thought it was my computer so I've done a fair bit of system tuning (uninstalled loads of programs, clean up the hard drive, free up the memories (8G) etc). I even switch off Antivirus, Wifi & bluetooth while playing music, still couldn't get rid of that cut off issue.

When I redirect the output from JRiver straight to my Aune T1 (totally bypass OOYH), it works fine. While running OOYH, I opened the system tools to check the CPU as well as RAM usage and it showed there was plenty of buffer left if needed.

My set up are listed as below:

Win 7
intel i5
8G RAM
JRiver
DAC: Aune T1 + Telefunken
Pangea silver USB

Would you please give me some advice? 

Cheers,
William

Hi William,

Sorry about my delayed response. For some reason my Head-Fi notifications aren't working... But, if you ever need a quick response, please e-mail us directly through our website.

When you say, the music is being "cut off", what do you mean exactly? Does the sound output stop completely? Then what do you have to do to get the sound working again?

How often does this happen? If you leave Out Of Your Head running, but no music playing, will the sound work when you start playing music again?

I assume you are using a licensed preset? Which preset are you using?

Let me know more information and we can get it sorted out. Or feel free to take this discussion "offline" and e-mail us directly.

Thanks,
-Darin

May 29, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #507 of 1,284
Hi, 

I've been a huge fan of OOYH, using it to send 2.0 stereo tracks to OOYH's L/R channels. For a while I only used 5.1 with movies. Lately, I've been experimenting with audio files mixed for 5.1. Some are done well and some are horrible, but using the full multi-speaker arrays that are replicated in OOYH yielded great results in general. So, I attempted various configurations of software to upmix 2.0 files.

Long story short, the most satisfying audiophile solution I've found, so far, has been using Pure Music's multichannel matrix. I send the 2.0 tracks to OOYH's L/R and SL/SR. I then mix the pairs to get the balance I want and to attenuate the levels to keep from clipping (the level being sent to OOYH is of course doubled). I also use a pro stereo widening plugin on the surround channels. The end product has been the most convincing emulation of loudspeakers I've been able to manage yet. 

If you're using OOYH for 2.0 audio and only using the L/R channels, I encourage experimenting with mixing in the surround speakers as well. 

I know this isn't true upmixing, but it produces far better results than e.g., JRiver's upmixing algorithm. I'm still trying to find a way to chain software together to access pro level plugins like Pento or Auro, but still haven't cracked it. If you know of a host that can support 5.1 AU plugins please let me know. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #509 of 1,284
Hi, 

Thanks for posting. I've seem Reaper around but didn't think about it for this application. I work on Logic and have gone through some other workstations in the past. Do you use Reaper though for playing music files? Isn't that complicated with a workstation?

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #510 of 1,284
Darin I am having an issue with the software. I updated OOYH from version 1_1J to 1_1J2.

When the installation is complete I get a message from windows.

So basically the new driver for 64 bit OS is not digitally signed? Is this just happening to me or anyone else cause I can no longer launch OHYH nor do i see the drivers in player devices present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back