Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Jul 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #167 of 1,284
  Am I the only one not impressed at all with this software? I tried it. It runs fine but I don't get the feeling of being in a room with any of these speaker systems. I've listened to many sound systems over the years and this sounds fake to me. which it is I guess but still.

Hi Amish,

Thanks for your feedback.

Some people do have a similar reaction when they first try Out Of Your Head. Although it's possible it just doesn't work well with your ear shape or HRTF, I do have some tips for people the first time they listen to Out Of Your Head. When your brain isn't sure what you're hearing, it can just sound like strange EQ and reverb. But please read and try the tips below to see if it helps:

The first time you hear Out Of Your Head, it may not sound right. It's not the software, it's your brain!

The problem is that your brain doesn't know what it's hearing. Generally if you are sitting at your laptop or desktop computer, the sound will sound like it's coming from behind a wall or out in the middle of the room, etc. Since your eyes don't see anything that the sound could be coming from, your brain gets confused.

So to help "train your brain" to ignore what you're seeing and actually hear what you're hearing, try some of these tips.

1. I know this sounds strange, but if there's any way you can have a pair of speakers out in front of you when you first listen to it, that can really help with your brain figuring out what it's hearing. When your eyes see an actual pair of speakers, your brain says, "Oh OK, the sound is coming from the speakers." Without any speakers, it takes a while for your brain to figure out that the sound is coming from the middle of a room or from behind the wall in front of you, etc.

1. If you don't have any speakers handy, another good way of "calibrating your brain" is to use the "mute" buttons. In the Out Of Your Head control panel interface, there is a speaker icon at the bottom next to each channel. For two channel music, click on the Left or Right channel speaker icon to mute that channel. You brain has a much easier time localizing the sound source of just one speaker rather than two. Then once you hear the location of one speaker, you can turn on the other speaker and you might have an easier time recognizing what you are hearing.

1. The very last effect at the bottom of the list is "bypass". Scroll down and click on the bypass so you can hear the sound fed straight through without any effect. Then when you switch back to a speaker preset, you will hear a dramatic difference in the sound and you should hear the image move from inside your head to out in front of you.

2. Finally, if all else fails, just close your eyes. Let your ears interpret the sound without your eyes confusing your ears.

Eventually you will get used to it and be able to hear where all of the speakers are in the room.

Thanks,
-Darin

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #169 of 1,284
  I actually have speakers in front of me when sitting at my desk but I still don't get the feeling that I'm in a room with all these speakers. Maybe you are right and it is something with my ears. I couldn't say. Enough people seem to be impressed with this so it must be me. :)

Hi Amish,

Yes, it's quite possible your ear shape is just too different from the ears of the people I used for the measurements. Have you gone through all the presets? Many of them were done with different people's ears, so for the localization of the sound source, you may find some presets might work better than others.

I always knew that Out Of Your Head would not work well for a small percentage of people, so that is why I have the free trial available to make sure it works for your ears.

Also, since you are in Southern CA, I do offer a service where I can use your ears to do the measurements. This will ensure the most accurate measurement that is custom for your ears. I can come to your home to measure your speakers with your ears, or there are a number of high end rooms I have available for measurements. I have yet to find anyone for which the custom measurement did not work. I have people from all over the country and the world come to me to do their measurements. Even if the existing Out Of Your Head presets work for them, getting custom measurements gives them more accuracy.

Thanks for your feedback, regardless.

-Darin

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #170 of 1,284

Also, since you are in Southern CA, I do offer a service where I can use your ears to do the measurements. This will ensure the most accurate measurement that is custom for your ears. I can come to your home to measure your speakers with your ears, or there are a number of high end rooms I have available for measurements. I have yet to find anyone for which the custom measurement did not work. I have people from all over the country and the world come to me to do their measurements. Even if the existing Out Of Your Head presets work for them, getting custom measurements gives them more accuracy.

-Darin

Good reminder... I'll definitely have to remember to add this to my schedule the next time I'm in Southern CA. Is there any advantage to having the measurements done in a couple of rooms, or is one enough?

Dale

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #171 of 1,284
  Hi Amish,

Yes, it's quite possible your ear shape is just too different from the ears of the people I used for the measurements. Have you gone through all the presets? Many of them were done with different people's ears, so for the localization of the sound source, you may find some presets might work better than others.

I always knew that Out Of Your Head would not work well for a small percentage of people, so that is why I have the free trial available to make sure it works for your ears.

Thanks for your feedback, regardless.

-Darin

I did try all of the presets and some did sound better than other. maybe 3 of them sounded much better than the rest but still didn't make me feel like I was in a room with another set of speakers.

Thanks for the offer and I will consider it. I'll PM you if I decide to take you up on your offer.

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #172 of 1,284

Good reminder... I'll definitely have to remember to add this to my schedule the next time I'm in Southern CA. Is there any advantage to having the measurements done in a couple of rooms, or is one enough?

Dale

Hi Dale,
If you are planning on coming here to have me do measurements, most people do end up getting more than one room measurement done just for variety. It seems the further people come, the more rooms they get done. But it really depends on what you're after in terms of sound and types of music, etc.

If you are coming to Southern California, PM me and I can give you all the details.

-Darin

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #173 of 1,284
Darin, you should come in vacations to Europe. It's beautiful here, and you could take the opportunity and bring the equipment to do the measurements for me.
atsmile.gif

Just kidding. Though, the part of Europe being beautiful is true.
atsmile.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #174 of 1,284
  Darin, you should come in vacations to Europe. It's beautiful here, and you could take the opportunity and bring the equipment to do the measurements for me.
atsmile.gif

Just kidding. Though, the part of Europe being beautiful is true.
atsmile.gif

Yes, that would be great. I have been to Europe several times including my honeymoon. I wish I could finance a "European Tour" doing measurements everywhere. Somehow I don't think anyone would be wiling to pay enough to make it worth while unless I was going there anyway.

However, for anyone who owns a Smyth Realiser or knows someone who does, you can do a measurement with the Realiser and then e-mail me the measurement files. I can convert the Realiser files to work with Out Of Your Head for an additional fee.

(You might even head over to the Realiser thread and figure out if there's anyone close enough to you willing to do a measurement for you.)

-Darin

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #175 of 1,284
I've just tried the pre-mixed demo and think they are awesome, although need a bit of time to settle down with the positioning. I'm wondering if there will be a linux version once android version comes out since android based on linux anyway?

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #176 of 1,284
  I've just tried the pre-mixed demo and think they are awesome, although need a bit of time to settle down with the positioning. I'm wondering if there will be a linux version once android version comes out since android based on linux anyway?

Glad you liked the demo files. 

So far there are no plans for a Linux version. But we are definitely planning an Android version. But right now the focus is on the long awaited/delayed Mac OS X version. (I feel like Jason and the Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil!)

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #177 of 1,284
  Glad you liked the demo files. 

So far there are no plans for a Linux version. But we are definitely planning an Android version. But right now the focus is on the long awaited/delayed Mac OS X version. (I feel like Jason and the Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil!)

I'm still waiting patiently on that Mac version. Take your time and get everything sorted out and right though. I really enjoyed the demo files and am excited to get this software for my Mac!

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #178 of 1,284
Darin

I know you ran an introductory special when you first introduced it.  Are there any plans to repeat a follow up offer?  I've been sitting on the fence - although I really like the concept.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #179 of 1,284
  Darin

I know you ran an introductory special when you first introduced it.  Are there any plans to repeat a follow up offer?  I've been sitting on the fence - although I really like the concept.

I can't say for sure at this point, but originally the introductory price was there on first release since no one knew about Out Of Your Head and I wanted to help get the software in people's hands. For the Mac version, the demand already seems pretty high, so I don't think I will need to have a introductory discount. (Many people pre-purchased the Mac version starting back in January!)

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #180 of 1,284
OK - thanks Darin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back