Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Aug 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #197 of 1,284
I will be blunt - "The software and the Sasha setting with Floyd and Fleetwood Mac kicks major ass!  The software and the Focal Scala setting with the Matrix Trilogy and T2 kicks major ass!"

In a strange way, my wallet thanks DF.

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #198 of 1,284
If anyone is local to the DC area and has a nice speaker setup (preferably in a nicely treated room with room correction), i would be happy to talk about doing a custom 7.1 PRIR for you using my Realiser in exchange for letting me do my own PRIR there. You could use your PRIR with Darin's Out of Your Head software subject to his price to make the custom preset ($149 I believe). You can also use the opportunity to test the Realiser if you have never heard it before. Doing my own custom PRIRs with AIX and Darin was fantastic and makes me want to do even more! Please PM if interested. Thanks.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #199 of 1,284
I am trying the software out today.  Had a couple questions:
I am streaming movies from Amazon and DirectTV...does not matter which browser I use (IE or Chrome).. 

I am getting an audio delay.. about 1-2 seconds maybe... voice sync is definately off..how do I fix this?
When I switch to Realtek high definition, all is correct... no sync issues.. so its something to do with this software.

Will it take a stereo movie and virtualize to 7.1?

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #200 of 1,284
I am streaming movies from Amazon and DirectTV...does not matter which browser I use (IE or Chrome).. 

I am getting an audio delay.. about 1-2 seconds maybe... voice sync is definately off..how do I fix this?
When I switch to Realtek high definition, all is correct... no sync issues.. so its something to do with this software.

Yes there is lag - the software has processing time.  For DVD movies - use VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html), and once playing you can resync audio with video by going to:
Tools > Track Synchronisation.
Adjust until it matches.  It works really well.

To stream - VLC should also work.  Use your browser to go to the address you want to stream.  Copy the address.  In VLC, go:
Media > Open Location From Clipboard
Then simply adjust the track synchronisation again.

Hope this helps.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #201 of 1,284

Hi, 

Just to add a quick note. VLC is great for many things, and it used to be one of my goto players. The only problem is that it doesn't use standard channel mapping for whatever reason. So it works wonderfully for 2.0, or 5.1, 7.1 mixed down to 2.0 stereo.

But, if you want to take full advantage of OOYH 5.1 or 7.1, you have to use a player that sends the right signal to the right channel in OOYH. Darin turned me on to XBMC (http://xbmc.org). It has its idiosyncrasies, but it's pretty impressive and it's free. You really want to go this route to see what OOYH can do. In some ways, it's like nothing you've ever quite experienced before. The spaciousness of a real world surround-sound speaker array with the sense of immersion that comes from headphones. So part of the brilliance of OOYH is the pragmatics of privacy and cost but it's also something of a new hybrid sound delivery system standing between speakers and headphones. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #203 of 1,284

I'm confused with XBMC... where do you go to resync audio with video?  Do you have to change the sync every time I stream a movie from the internet browser?

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #204 of 1,284

Will it take a stereo movie and virtualize to 7.1?

Sorry for the delayed response, I spent the day "collecting" a new measurement. It will appear soon as a new speaker preset in both the PC and Mac version of Out Of Your Head. Small hint...I was in Hollywood.

To answer your questions:

I don't think you can stream Amazon videos in VLC since Amazon video has DRM. I am not sure about DirecTV, but I think it's the same problem. The only streaming service that I know of that has audio sync adjustment in their player is Netflix. In Netflix you can adjust the sync. You can access a hidden menu by pressing Shift+Alt+Left Click (Shift+Option+Click on a Mac)

Out Of Your Head on Windows does currently have a delay of about 450ms on most Windows machines. I know this is really long, but we are working on a new version with much less delay which will be suitable for gaming too.

Out Of Your Head will not "up convert" to more channels of audio. Out Of Your Head simply processes the number of channels being fed to it. So 2 channel music gets played on two virtual speakers in Out Of Your Head. However, JRiver Media Center will upconvert to up to 7.1 channels from lower number of channels. If you have JRiver upconvert, then Out Of Your Head will process the upconverted audio.

Yes there is lag - the software has processing time.  For DVD movies - use VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html), and once playing you can resync audio with video by going to:
Tools > Track Synchronisation.
Adjust until it matches.  It works really well.

To stream - VLC should also work.  Use your browser to go to the address you want to stream.  Copy the address.  In VLC, go:
Media > Open Location From Clipboard
Then simply adjust the track synchronisation again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for answering Brooko. VLC works great on Windows with Out Of Your Head. But I don't think you can stream DRM'ed streams. I wish you could since the audio sync adjustment works great.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #205 of 1,284

Hi, 

Just to add a quick note. VLC is great for many things, and it used to be one of my goto players. The only problem is that it doesn't use standard channel mapping for whatever reason. So it works wonderfully for 2.0, or 5.1, 7.1 mixed down to 2.0 stereo.

But, if you want to take full advantage of OOYH 5.1 or 7.1, you have to use a player that sends the right signal to the right channel in OOYH. Darin turned me on to XBMC (http://xbmc.org). It has its idiosyncrasies, but it's pretty impressive and it's free. You really want to go this route to see what OOYH can do. In some ways, it's like nothing you've ever quite experienced before. The spaciousness of a real world surround-sound speaker array with the sense of immersion that comes from headphones. So part of the brilliance of OOYH is the pragmatics of privacy and cost but it's also something of a new hybrid sound delivery system standing between speakers and headphones. 

Thanks for posting this info. But I just want to clarify that edewardsean is talking about the Mac OS X version of VLC (the Windows version does not have this problem.) He is using the Mac OS X version of Out Of Your Head. So if you download the Out Of Your Head for OS X trial version from our website, VLC is only recommended for two channel audio. 

I have found that XBMC works much better than VLC on the Mac.

I'm confused with XBMC... where do you go to resync audio with video?  Do you have to change the sync every time I stream a movie from the internet browser?

You can make the audio offset value permanent.

Once you find the right delay value in XBMC while watching a video, in the audio adjustment window, scroll tot he bottom of that window and click on "Set as default for all videos". Then any video file you open in the future will automatically have the audio delay set.

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #206 of 1,284
Another question...
On all the downloadable demo vists from outofyourhead.net....  I only get 2 channels showing in the Input Audio Channels on the Control Panel..is that correct?  I assume it is because these demos have the premix 7.1 baked into them?

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #207 of 1,284
  Another question...
On all the downloadable demo vists from outofyourhead.net....  I only get 2 channels showing in the Input Audio Channels on the Control Panel..is that correct?  I assume it is because these demos have the premix 7.1 baked into them?

Hi Michael,

I think you are referring to the demo files here:
http://fonguadio.com/demo

You should never play the pre-rendered demo files through Out Of Your Head. The Out Of Your Head processing is already pre-applied to those files. You would be applying the Out Of Your Head processing twice!

But to answer your question, since the online demo files are already processed in Out Of Your Head, they are two channels, one for each ear. But the source files are 2, 6, and 8 channel sources. I just posted them so people could hear sample output from Out Of Your Head without having to download the Windows or Mac trial. People can also listen to those demos on any device.

I hope that makes sense.

-Darin

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #208 of 1,284
Darin,
I want to make sure I am doing this correctly,.....
I have the OOYH Control Panel up.
Output devices are either Razer Surround Audio Controller or Realtek High Definition Audio.. I have Realtek selected.
Im on Windows 8.1, 64 bit.
I then go under Sound and Out of Your Head Virtual device is the Default Device..if you hit Configure it reads 7.1 Surround. Setting is 32 bit 48000 as Default format
Realtek is the Default Communication Device..if you select that it only give me a Stereo Pull down?  Enhancements has Immediate Mode checked..no other setting selected on this menu, on Advanced Menu, default is 24 bit 192000.  Exclusive Mode: Allow applications to take exclusive control and Give exclusive mode applications priority are both checked.

I downloaded all the prerendered demos including Pink Floyd and Hotel California to my desktop.. and play them thru Windows Media Player 12.

I also am playing this thru Internet Explorer and downloaded to the desktop:

This is the a Eagles Hotel California 5.1 surround DVD source. It’s an example of 5.1 channel music being played through a 5.1 surround speaker system.

***But the OOYH control panel keeps saying its 2 channel input??**

What am I doing wrong?

Darin if you have 7.1 or 8 channel source file on your website, I can't find them...

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #209 of 1,284

I have XBMC installed but I cant figure out how to setup streaming from the internet?  Is there a plugin I need?  Im on Windows 8.1.. I don't think its possible to get DirectTV nor Amazon prime movies thru XBMC.. they use Silverlight w/DRM on the amazon side and Directv Player/Adobe Flash Player 15 on the DirecTV side. I right click on these to try and find a streaming source to be able to put into XBMC and don't see it.

I see that XBMC has a Netflix plugin.  Not sure how the audio is handled.. I am not on a Mac.. I'm on a Windows 8.1 Asus laptop running a 2880 x 1620 screen. (which is ok for movie watching). Its a high end laptop $2800 one.  **You can access a hidden menu by pressing Shift+Alt+Left Click (Shift+Option+Click on a Mac): Is this for PC's too? and do I have to run Netflix thru XBMC or can I run it separately?

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #210 of 1,284
  Darin,
I want to make sure I am doing this correctly,.....
I have the OOYH Control Panel up.
Output devices are either Razer Surround Audio Controller or Realtek High Definition Audio.. I have Realtek selected.
Im on Windows 8.1, 64 bit.
I then go under Sound and Out of Your Head Virtual device is the Default Device..if you hit Configure it reads 7.1 Surround. Setting is 32 bit 48000 as Default format
Realtek is the Default Communication Device..if you select that it only give me a Stereo Pull down?  Enhancements has Immediate Mode checked..no other setting selected on this menu, on Advanced Menu, default is 24 bit 192000.  Exclusive Mode: Allow applications to take exclusive control and Give exclusive mode applications priority are both checked.

I downloaded all the prerendered demos including Pink Floyd and Hotel California to my desktop.. and play them thru Windows Media Player 12.

I also am playing this thru Internet Explorer and downloaded to the desktop:

This is the a Eagles Hotel California 5.1 surround DVD source. It’s an example of 5.1 channel music being played through a 5.1 surround speaker system.

***But the OOYH control panel keeps saying its 2 channel input??**

What am I doing wrong?

Darin if you have 7.1 or 8 channel source file on your website, I can't find them...

Hi Michael,

Just to explain, the pre-rendered demo files on my website are NOT for use with Out Of Your Head. They are demo files for people who do not have Out Of Your Head installed or want to hear the pre-rendered output from Out Of Your Head without having to install Out Of Your Head. So please do not use the demo files with Out Of Your Head running. The pre-rendered files are recordings made from the output of Out Of Your Head. So if you have Out Of Your Head installed, don't use the demo files! The demo files are two channel meant to be played directly through headphones and NOT through Out Of Your Head since they have already been processed through Out Of Your Head.

I do not have any unprocessed, multi-channel content available on my website. However, there are some websites that do have multi-channel content available for purchase like http://www.itrax.com/.

Alternately, you can play DVD's or Blu-RAy disks if you have a DVD or Blu-Ray drive in your computer. If your computer doesn't have a DVD or Blu-Ray drive, you can buy an external USB drive for very little money and then play DVD's or Blu-Rays and send the audio through Out Of Your Head.

However, It does sound like you have Out Of Your Head configured and setup properly on your system. You just need some multi-channel content to play. But even with any 2 channel music you have, you should be able to hear the 2 channel music coming from the two front virtual speakers just as if you were sitting in a room with speakers listening to two channel music.

With regard to the Razer software, PLEASE make sure that software is completely disabled when using Out Of Your Head. It will affect the sound of Out Of Your Head since it is designed to do audio processing also as a virtual sound card. Even if you don't have it selected as the audio output device, it can still affect the sound. Again you don't want to hear audio being processed twice.

I have XBMC installed but I cant figure out how to setup streaming from the internet?  Is there a plugin I need?  Im on Windows 8.1.. I don't think its possible to get DirectTV nor Amazon prime movies thru XBMC.. they use Silverlight w/DRM on the amazon side and Directv Player/Adobe Flash Player 15 on the DirecTV side. I right click on these to try and find a streaming source to be able to put into XBMC and don't see it.

I see that XBMC has a Netflix plugin.  Not sure how the audio is handled.. I am not on a Mac.. I'm on a Windows 8.1 Asus laptop running a 2880 x 1620 screen. (which is ok for movie watching). Its a high end laptop $2800 one.  **You can access a hidden menu by pressing Shift+Alt+Left Click (Shift+Option+Click on a Mac): Is this for PC's too? and do I have to run Netflix thru XBMC or can I run it separately?

You do not need XBMC to watch Netflix. You can watch Netflix in a web browser like Internet Explorer. You can use the keyboard shortcut to adjust the audio sync while a video is streaming in your browser. The keyboard shortcut only works when streaming Netflix in a browser.

BUT, Netflix does NOT deliver multi-channel content to web browsers. As far as I know, there is no way to watch Netflix in 5.1 audio on a Windows or Mac computer. I don't know why Netflix will not support multi-channel streaming in computers, but you can contact them and ask them. Or maybe someone here can chime in and let us know if there's a way to get 5.1 form Netflix on Windows or OS X.

I hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you need more help, or feel free to PM me any time for additional tech support.

-Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back