Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Apr 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #137 of 1,284
I looked through the last couple of pages in the thread, and couldn't find any information on the problem I'm having downloading. Every time I go to the free trial link, it takes me to my cart, but the cart is empty. Has anybody else had an inexplicably empty checkout happen to them?

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #138 of 1,284
^ is the vendor unresponsive?

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #139 of 1,284

I looked through the last couple of pages in the thread, and couldn't find any information on the problem I'm having downloading. Every time I go to the free trial link, it takes me to my cart, but the cart is empty. Has anybody else had an inexplicably empty checkout happen to them?

Just tried it and it is working fine for me with a Safari browser on an iMac.  After filling in the form for name and email there was a confirmation page with the following message displayed: "You will receive and e-mail with a link to download the trial. If you do not receive the e-mail within the next 30 minutes, please check your SPAM filter."  Checked my Hotmail account and there was an email response in the Junk folder.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #140 of 1,284
I didn't even get to a page where I could fill in a form. At the link to the trial, all I get is an empty cart message. I've tried it on Firefox and Chrome on my regular laptop, but haven't tried anything on my MacBook yet.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #141 of 1,284
  I didn't even get to a page where I could fill in a form. At the link to the trial, all I get is an empty cart message. I've tried it on Firefox and Chrome on my regular laptop, but haven't tried anything on my MacBook yet.

I just tried it on Chrome, Firefox, and IE 10 on Windows 7 and Safari on OS X (even though there is no OS X version yet...). Each time, I clicked on the "Checkout" button on this page: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-trial-download/ and got to the checkout page where you can fill in your information.

I know others have been able to download since I get notices when people successfully "checkout" with the free trial version.

Maybe there's an issue with cookies and security settings? Please PM me or e-mail me to troubleshoot further.

-Darin

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #142 of 1,284
I have cookies completely disabled in one of my browsers, so that probably accounted for it. I'll try it again with modified settings. Thanks for the response.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #143 of 1,284
This looked interesting to me, so I downloaded and installed the trial today, and I'm getting an enormous amount of clipping nearly continuously when I'm playing anything, unless I lower the output by >20dB (usually more like 30dB). I'd like to evaluate it fairly, but it's hard to do when it feels like I'm about to blow out my eardrums and headphones every time I switch presets to one that I haven't remembered to suppress the levels on yet...

(For what it's worth, I also find the DRM and personal info requirements a bit intrusive - especially the requirement for an email address and name for the demo download. Why not just provide a link on the website for the demo, and require the personal info when the product is purchased?)

EDIT: I found part of the problem - Flash seems to think it's a good idea to upmix stereo sound (from places like Youtube, Pandora, etc) to 5.1/7.1 and output near full levels on all channels, even if the original source is stereo (resulting in massive clipping when fed through OOYH and awful sound, including a complete lack of stereo image and weird reverb even after lowering the levels to a reasonable level). After fiddling around with some dlls, flash is now working properly, and clipping is greatly reduced (though still present on a true surround source). The soundstage is much better too, and a lot of the weird sound is gone.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #144 of 1,284
  This looked interesting to me, so I downloaded and installed the trial today, and I'm getting an enormous amount of clipping nearly continuously when I'm playing anything, unless I lower the output by >20dB (usually more like 30dB). I'd like to evaluate it fairly, but it's hard to do when it feels like I'm about to blow out my eardrums and headphones every time I switch presets to one that I haven't remembered to suppress the levels on yet...

That definitely doesn't sound right. What media player are you using? What content are you playing (movies or music)? Does the clipping happen on all presets or just some? Which presets? 

Also, which DAC or amp are you using? 

Sorry about all the questions, but the answers are all relevant to troubleshooting your problems. Of course, feel free to contact me directly via my website of via PM here to troubleshoot the problems.

As I mentioned before, I used to have the default levels set lower to avoid clipping during loud passages of a 7.1 surround action movie or something like that. 8 channels of loud audio can definitely add up when processing that down to 2 channels. But when I set the levels that low, people complainde that for 2 channel music, the levels were too low, so I raised them up knowing that clipping may occur more quickly.

However, constant clipping should not be happening. I regularly watch action movies leaving the levels at default in Out Of Your Head and lowering the internal volume level in JRiver Media Center 19 to about 80% (20% down from 100%). With those levels, I will get clipping on only the very loudest explosions, etc on a 7.1 movie.

You may also not be hearing clipping, but some other artifact due to some other kind of incompatibility with your DAC or some other audio software on your system.

Please contact me so I can help figure it out for you.

-Darin

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #145 of 1,284
This was listening primarily to Pandora at work with my ODAC/O2 combo. As I mentioned above, I think the problem was related to the fact that Flash idiotically upmixes stereo to 7.1 if it detects surround capability in a system, and sets the levels on all channels near 100% (which was causing the really unpleasant clipping, as well as a mediocre sound even after the levels were reduced). I've fixed that problem for the moment, so now it is playing in stereo rather than the badly upmixed surround, but I'll definitely let you know if I have any further difficulty.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #146 of 1,284
OK, after listening for another 15 minutes after lunch here with the flash bug fixed, that was definitely the issue. It sounded unnatural and muddy before, even with the clipping fixed, and that seems to have been entirely due to the combination of the simulated surround with Adobe's terrible upmixing. Now it sounds excellent (though I'll have to listen for quite a while longer to decide if I want to buy it or not). For anyone using this though: be careful with Flash-based sound sources (YouTube if you aren't running HTML5, Pandora, and that kind of thing)

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #148 of 1,284
  FYI, weird issue . . . if I run Beats Music through the latest IE in fullscreen touch mode on windows 8, the system clips no matter the volume.  Out of touch mode, no issues at all.  Beautiful sound.

I can't figure out how to get BeatsMusic to play on my Windows 8.1 machine. Even after logging into their website, it just wants me to install their app on a mobile device. It won't let me play in a browser, not even IE in Windows 8 metro full screen mode. When I click on "web player", it just takes me to the mobile app download page.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #150 of 1,284
Wow, didn't know you had a page here Darin, I tried out your program at the show on Sunday. I'll be sure to keep up here.
redface.gif

Thanks for stopping by our booth at THE Show Newport!

Yes, this thread has been here since the release of Out Of Your Head, so if you have any impressions or questions, you can post them here. I follow this thread, obviously.

Did you see Tyll Hertsens post about Out Of Your Head on InnerFidelity.com? He stopped by my booth on Saturday at THE Show. (Not sure if I am allowed to link directly to the post on Tyll's website.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back