out of curiousity, what is THE undisputed, best headphone?
Jan 1, 2009 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

dum656

New Head-Fier
hey everyone, i'm a newbie here, and i was wondering, if in direct comparison to other headphones which pair would be the best overall? i mean, if money were absolutely no object, what headphones/amp would you grab, and is there a consensus? or is there still debate even in the $1000+ range? thanks in advance for satisfying my curiousity

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by stumbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bose, duh.

wow.....i totally knew that SOMEONE was going to say that....still though, i chuckled a little

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by stumbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bose, duh.

buy a skullcandy
ph34r.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 96
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet
biggrin.gif
. Regarding your question....

Quote:

consensus

.....does not exist in the Head-Fi vocabulary. Many have tried, all have failed; regardless of pricepoint.

I am not trying to diss anyone though; I actually think it is one of the beauties of the place - the diversity of thoughts, impressions, and different ways in which people can interpret the same equipment. Horse for courses etc.
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 96
if were talking about popularity and the ones that many compare the latest top of the line headphones to a certain benchmark.

Sony MDR-R10's

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which sounds best to you?

Exactly. This is like asking for the best restaurant. Let go of a desire to be king of the hill, and you'll be eminently happier.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #13 of 96
I've seen quite a few people finish up at the Stax Omega II with a Blue Hawaii or other non-Stax amp.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 96
Imo the "best and undisputed" headphones by their popularity here on the head-fi "headphones" forum(of course from what *I* have seen, not by what factually is.) has to be the Beyerdynamic DT 770's and DT 880's, Grado SR60/80's, Sennheiser HD 650's, and AKG K701.

By far the best headphone I've ever had(and still have) is the Beyerdynamic DT 150. It has quality bass that really thumps for electronic music - accurate and tuneful for more acoustic genres - while remaining under control at all times; a soundstage for all of the electronically produced sounds to float around in; and the hi-end detail that approaches that of the DT 880'03's. The DT 150's comfort draws no complaints from me, and I also have no worries about mistreating this headphone physically, because they are too toughly built to take any bs, ya know what I mean? This is by far the best all-around can I've ever been blessed with
tongue.gif
The DT 150's beat all the cans listed above except for the HD 650, which I haven't heard(yet??).

imo the best bang-for-buck headphone has to be the Beyerdynamic DTX 900. Clean and fast bass, great mids and highs, and an awessssome soundstage. The 900's is a very comfortable headphone too, but its build quality can be a lot tougher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back