Ouch my Grado's
Nov 12, 2010 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

eggontoast

Head-Fier
So I have my first pair of Grado's (RS2i's) loving the sound they produce but.........could they have made these headphones any more uncomfortable if they had tried ?

After 1 - 2 hours of listening the edge of my ears feel like they are on fire !!

Is this a common problem or is my head a funny shape ?

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 25
were you by any chance eating breakfast when you signed up for your head-fi membership? 
tongue.gif

It all depends on your facial structure.  Some people can deal with the comfort level some can't.  Give it some more time, or try different pads, and if that doesn't work get different headphones.  Before buying new pads, you can try putting the bowls on backwards.  then theres

HD414 pads
comfies
flats
reversed bowls
reversed flats
inside out bowls

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
were you by any chance eating breakfast when you signed up for your head-fi membership? 
tongue.gif

Not quite currently sitting in my office listening to Dvorak on my Grado's.......with sore ears ! oh and if the boss asks working hard.

Quote:
rhythmdevils said:

HD414 pads
comfies
flats
reversed bowls
reversed flats
inside out bowls
funky Chicken

If you say these quickly they sound like dance moves
biggrin.gif
I've added one to the list lol.

I'll give them some more time and see if I get used to them, I'm guessing that all of the above will change the sound signature of the Grado's ? (apart from the funky chicken that is)

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 25
I dunno if I'm just easily amused, but I literally lol'd at the dance moves comment. Hahaha.

As for comfort, I will never again compromise comfort over sound after owning the ES7. If a headphone isn't at least an 8/10 in comfort, they will never make the cut.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
Quote:
Hey pads are cheap so it's not a costly experiment.

This is true....apart from the G-cushions they sell for approx £50 ($80) over here.....disgusting price.

Sorry about that price, just $45 here.  On my 325is, the G-Cush was waay more comfortable, expanded the sound stage (your ears are farther away from the drivers) and I think warmed up the mid-bass slightly.  It was worth it to me because I did find the stock cush uncomfortable and I like a larger soundstage.  Wish you could try before you buy.  Love the eggontoast but prefer a small slice of ham inbetween.  :^ o

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Quote:
Hey pads are cheap so it's not a costly experiment.

This is true....apart from the G-cushions they sell for approx £50 ($80) over here.....disgusting price.

Disgusting price indeed. I 'm going to buy whole bunch of those salad bowls, fly back to London and sell them in Camden Market for 45 quid each.

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
You can and should bend the headband outwards so the phones are not so tight on your head.

Or bend them so they fit more firmly but such that the pads fit flush around your ears.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I bend my Grados as described on Headphile for getting the C-pads to fit right (scroll down to near the bottom).  The same methods that get the C-pads to fit flush or flat around the ears will get the bowls to fit flush around the ears.  Much more comfortable that way.  The stock Grado headband bend causes the bowls to fit cantilevered, leveraged so they have more pressure at the top than at the bottom.  They don't fit flat or evenly around my ears.  Bend the band and they fit flat and are more comfortable and less pressure on the ears.

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 25
With my grados, it was much more comfortable with the headband near the front of my head, directly over my chrome dome hurt pretty badly. Try another headband as well, with the Jmoney headband, they were much comfier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back