Ottawa Region 2015 Head-fi Meet - Respond here
Jun 28, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #256 of 275
  Personally, I still mostly feel that a postponement would be best. While it would be a disappointment, I think a late September meet might be a much better idea. I think Dan maybe you can go ahead with a mini-meet at your place as I know you have put a lot of effort into things so I get why you don't want to throw in the towel, but summer is a hard time to add events into. It is counter-intuitive in some ways as you think people have time off and the weather is great, but those are actually the factors that work against you. Unless anybody really disagrees I would like to throw in my portion of the towel and propose we start organizing a killer meet with prizes and everything for late September. Who is good with this approach?

Damn i was really looking forward to this, Im not sure about September yet, i have a couple weddings to shoot during end of sept. I can confirm more as time gets closer. Im really ok with hosting it at my place, so let me know who is still down to do it at mi casa. To me its all the same, as long we have audio lovers and audio equipment, its all a party for me. Im quite used to having guests over all the time so it really isnt a burden at all, escpecially my place is very open concept space. Larger than the last venue at Rideau. Heck im down to do it tomorrow if you want lol. Also, i have friends who live in those condo's if you guys REALLY want that place as a venue i can book it, assuming it hasnt been booked yet. Either way let me know. 

WHOMEVER is following this thread please let us know through either here, or through pm if youre interested in coming!!

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #257 of 275
Just wanted to add that I'm interested in a meet as well. Depending on how things go I'm either tiling a bathroom this Saturday(4th) or babysitting my toddler. If I'm babysitting, I'ld be happy to bring some gear(T1,SZ200,PHA-3, and others[see profile] if anyone is interested) and join the fun. Otherwise kido is in daycare starting August 31 so possibly more time in September.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #258 of 275
could everyone who is in pm me your name and number so i can text you the my address, im going to go ahead and start a thread on CAM and hopefully catch some more interest.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #260 of 275
I have a good crowd of people confirming to show up. All i ask is if you could bring a power bar if youre bringing a dac or and amp. Hope we get some nice gear. Omer from unity cables suggesting for our next meet to use the same venue the cam members use for thier home stereo meets.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #263 of 275
So yeah. Still holding it at 340 booth st. At 2pm for those who still wanna come.

Nice, glad you are still going through with your mini-meet. I know you put a lot of effort into things so it would be very disappointing if you didn't get a meet together. I'm still very keen on a late September meet and hopefully some of your CAM buddies will also enjoy attending that meet. This will give us a little time to plan better and not be competeing with summer. Cheers Dan.

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #264 of 275
How were you planning to do those blind tests.... id like to do some trials with that today. And please drop by if you find some free time. I only moved the meet to my place assumjng youd come also...

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #265 of 275
Hi Dan, sadly no I can't drop by as once the meet idea was canned for now I had to do what my wife wanted so that when the meet happens she won't nag me to death about it. Being nagged to death is a real thing dude, trust me!

The double blind test takes too much time to explain quickly, but I think you could do a blind test well. Another thing I wanted to test in this manner was lossless versus 320 files. You could easily level match the volume ahead of time on a known file and have people listen and tell you if they felt one sounded better than the other (the subject can't know which file is which of course). The important thing is to keep things the same from trial to trial, and from subject to subject as much as possible. Same rig, same files, same length of listening, same volume level etc.

I would get 5 people and do ten trials each as you want to also account for chance results as best possible. I also would limit the listening length to about a minute per trial as listener fatigue can be an issue. Try to ensure that between trials the same break is provided for all subjects. If it is you who is doing the test do not give any hint at all, try to avoid any interaction with test subjects at all. Have somebody tell you when the file can be played and stopped so that you don't even look at the subjects.

Make the question simple, did either of the files you just heard sound better, which one if any? The subjects need paper and pencil to note their results on. Have the paper ready with each trial pairing listed eg. File 1 and File 2. As well, have the subjects use only standardized responses, sounds better, or can't tell apart. So for each subject you should collect ten trials where they listened to two versions of the same file (File 1 and File 2). If they felt one file sounded better they would indicate what file on the paper for each trial, or if they couldn't tell the difference. You need to keep track per subject which file was played first in each trial. It is very important that you keep good records of what file was played first for each trial and for each subject. If you mess up on your end, then you can't correlate things from the subjects end. Good luck if you do this! We will make sure to do it at our main meet if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back