Ottawa Region 2015 Head-fi Meet - Respond here
Jun 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #241 of 275
Okay, so July 4th will be here soon so time for a head-count. Who is attending? I will be attempting to do a blind listening test using the amazing Schiit Yaddrasil DAC and a NAD M51. The goal of the test is simply to see if there is a preference for one sound signature over another. We need 5 volunteer test subjects who will be willing to do 10 trials listening to a two minute section of the same song which will be by Holly Cole, the song is One Trick Pony. We need identical conditions so there can't be any changing of the material. I have selected this track as it is extremely well recorded and features several key elements (acoustic and electric instruments, percussion and female vocals).

There will be a brief break of about one minute between each trial for users so approximately 30 minutes per subject will be required. Hopefully we can do this in such a way as to have the least impact on the rest of the meet. I think it is very important as here on head-fi nobody ever seems to take advantage of headphone meets to do any blind listening tests and this will allow our meet to start what I hope becomes a head-fi meet trend of actual blind listening tests. This may take about 2.5 hours all told, but it doesn't have to happen in one continuous time (although that would be ideal).

So, who is attending and would like to be a test subject? Thanks for helping with this.
you know me,I'm always game. Count me in. Are we able to get some sort of sponsors or prize this time around?

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #242 of 275
you know me,I'm always game. Count me in. Are we able to get some sort of sponsors or prize this time around?

I doubt there is time now, but perhaps we could try? I may ask Planet of Sound. If you know an audio shop you are a customer of I would ask them, same for anybody else who would like to do so.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #244 of 275
I'll be supplying the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok stack so obviously I'm in.   Should be fun. :)

Thinking of switching it up from my LCD-3F so would really like to audition any of LCD-X, HD800, HD650, TH900, PM-3 and HE1K if anyone owns a pair and can bring them.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #245 of 275
I was going to bring my TH 900 so that is covered. Cheers. What is fun is that we can run the Fostex from the Rag's speaker posts as well as SE.

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #246 of 275
Hey Team!

I'm back from Bonnaroo, and just waiting to hear from my fellow about the room. His wife gave birth via emergency c-section last week, so they're still in the hospital.

For reference, here is a list of what I will be bringing

Amp/DAC
- Schiit Mjolnir USB G2
- Schiit Lyr 2 (4 sets of tubes)

Headphones
- Senn HD800
- Audeze LCD-3F
- HifiMan HE-1000
- HifiMan HE-560
- V-Moda M-100
- Beyer T51i

As well as some assorted cables from Moon, YFS, etc.

Cheers

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #247 of 275
Sounds yummy...

Much as I enjoyed the meet four months ago, I'm going to pass on this one.  I live out in Gracefield, and weekend summer days are too precious.

Have fun everyone!

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #248 of 275
I'm starting to think that perhaps we should postpone the meet until the fall as it does sound like we will be competing with other summer plans far too often. As it stands now there are only about 4 people attending so unless we get a sudden rush of interest my suggestion is to consider a mid September which would allow school to get back in. What do people think?

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #249 of 275
I'm starting to think that perhaps we should postpone the meet until the fall as it does sound like we will be competing with other summer plans far too often. As it stands now there are only about 4 people attending so unless we get a sudden rush of interest my suggestion is to consider a mid September which would allow school to get back in. What do people think?
ill be bringing about 5-7 people with me. Plus i think a deposit was already made on the venue. 1 is a friend. Rest are people i met from cam and kijiji.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #250 of 275

Allright, it is a go then. Maybe we will get a few more interested parties between now and then. We will need to confirm the time and location here soon then. I'm glad, I like doing stuff in the summer more than the fall and winter. Anybody who follows this thread or stumbles upon it, please if you would like to attend by all means post here. Cheers.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #251 of 275
Allright, it is a go then. Maybe we will get a few more interested parties between now and then. We will need to confirm the time and location here soon then. I'm glad, I like doing stuff in the summer more than the fall and winter. Anybody who follows this thread or stumbles upon it, please if you would like to attend by all means post here. Cheers.
july 4th at 200 lett st. (Claridge condos at lebreton flats across the Bluesfest) time TBD. worst case we can do it at my place. Its on booth street so its not far.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #253 of 275

i will try my best to get there but i can't guarantee it as my wife will need to visit ottawa with me.

Just tell her she is fat and that you hate her sister. That should spring you loose for a few days.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #254 of 275
Hey guys,

No deposit made yet on the space - my fellow is not responding often to txts as his new baby girl is still in ICU and mom is still recovering from C-section. Last I heard room was available and he booked it tentatively with the super. But he hasn't been back to the condo in two weeks except briefly as he is basically camped out at Queensway-Carleton Hospital.

Personally I would like to see as many Head-Fiers there as possible - I think it's great to get new blood and new faces into the mix, but ultimately this is a Head-Fi meet, so it makes sense that there are a significant number of HFers in attendance. I think a good amount of the value of such an event is the post-meet dialogue back here on the forums.

I am happy to change or cancel the booking if it makes sense for everyone. As it is my wife will be at the cottage and I'd be more than happy to join her...

I'll start by confirming the room reso and timing - stay tuned.

Cam

P.S. HE-1000 arrived on my doorstep this morning. Initial impressions are brief, but I may have some headphones for sale at the meet....

Jun 27, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #255 of 275
Personally, I still mostly feel that a postponement would be best. While it would be a disappointment, I think a late September meet might be a much better idea. I think Dan maybe you can go ahead with a mini-meet at your place as I know you have put a lot of effort into things so I get why you don't want to throw in the towel, but summer is a hard time to add events into. It is counter-intuitive in some ways as you think people have time off and the weather is great, but those are actually the factors that work against you. Unless anybody really disagrees I would like to throw in my portion of the towel and propose we start organizing a killer meet with prizes and everything for late September. Who is good with this approach?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back