Ottawa Region 2015 Head-fi Meet - Respond here
Mar 10, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #106 of 275
  Glad to see another one of these coming together.  Thanks Sonic Defender for letting me know about it.  The 1st sounds good by me.  My gear hasn't changed all that much, but I'll bring everything I can.  Will there be any space issues bringing a desktop PC setup?  If so I'll bring...

Alessandro MS-2
Mies E200
PC with an Asus Xonar STX Essence
Fubar II mk.2 DAC with Supplier PSU
PPA v1.0 amp

If there's any interest I also have a pair of Swans D1080 mk4 speakers that I could bring along for the ride.  Look forward to seeing you guys there.

Hey, i loved your set up with the fubar/ grados. I noticed you wrote a the ONLY review on the Mies m200, after owning it for awhile now, has your opinion changed at all? Im thinking of heading over to the planet of sound to pick up some tomorrow, was hoping to get some feedback. Also congrats on the new purchase :D, i was about to buy a pair of UE triplefi 10's with Chris himself cables today, thankfully the seller insisted i audition them before i buy. Long story short, those are definitely not for my tastes.

There would be a market, but small and only worthwhile if you didn't need to purchase tons of supplies etc, You would also be serving TO and Montreal as well as other surrounding regions. If you really are interested perhaps you could be a partner for Norne Audio as he is swamped e could work something out to have you make his Canadian customers cables? Anyway, I would be willing to have a cable made by you. I have a few project needs now, but they are smaller than full on cables.

I have all the tools, i just need the supplies, ive done some research for a week now and came up with some decent suppliers. I think since im just starting out, i might just buy the connectors for the cable that is requested and do it by order, till i see which connectors should i stock here locally at all times, the obvious ones are probably: 3.5mm, 6.3mm, XLR, mini XLR, RCA. What project needs are you requiring? Since im just doing a test run, i wont be charging labour, just cost on parts.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #107 of 275
I still love the e200, and think they're the best $100 IEMs I've ever heard. As far as my sound tastes go anyways. I also really, really liked the triple-fi, so YMMV. It's free to give them a shot though. Just try to bring some decent tips with us. I found the stock tips kinda lacking.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #108 of 275
  Hey, i loved your set up with the fubar/ grados. I noticed you wrote a the ONLY review on the Mies m200, after owning it for awhile now, has your opinion changed at all? Im thinking of heading over to the planet of sound to pick up some tomorrow, was hoping to get some feedback. Also congrats on the new purchase :D, i was about to buy a pair of UE triplefi 10's with Chris himself cables today, thankfully the seller insisted i audition them before i buy. Long story short, those are definitely not for my tastes.

I have all the tools, i just need the supplies, ive done some research for a week now and came up with some decent suppliers. I think since im just starting out, i might just buy the connectors for the cable that is requested and do it by order, till i see which connectors should i stock here locally at all times, the obvious ones are probably: 3.5mm, 6.3mm, XLR, mini XLR, RCA. What project needs are you requiring? Since im just doing a test run, i wont be charging labour, just cost on parts.

Well, I want to take a FiiO L5 cable, and reterminate the 3.5 end with micro USB. What I want is to get the new Oppo HA-2, but the input on it is micro USB and as I use the Sony A17 as a DAP I need to work from the FiiO L5. I would also like to get an adapter made that allows me to use my Norne cable with 3.5mm connectors as I want to get the new Sony Z7 and at the cups you need to use 3.5mm connectors. So there would need to be some way of joining the 3.5mm connectors with the connectors on the Norne cable that attach to the HE 560 cup connectors. These are just two little projects, but I would be open to getting a custom cable made by you as well. I think having a local Ottawa crafter doing this is a great idea, and I suspect if you got good at it and a few people knew about you you might have lots of work from Canadians.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #109 of 275
I still love the e200, and think they're the best $100 IEMs I've ever heard. As far as my sound tastes go anyways. I also really, really liked the triple-fi, so YMMV. It's free to give them a shot though. Just try to bring some decent tips with us. I found the stock tips kinda lacking.

So i went to audition them, i have to say i quite like them. The ue triple fi separation, extention and detail is amazing compared to this one. For me the deal breaker was the lack of mid range (on the ue triple fi), which is something important to me in the genres of music i listen to. For 100$ plus $10 apocalypse warranty it's a great buy. The pair i auditioned on my set up had a slight distortion in the right ear at higher volumes. The workers there didn't hear it. So i thought I'd give them a try anyway and took the plunge. My set doesn't have the distortion luckily. So far I'm enjoying them, and will use these for the gym since the warranty allows me to use them without care lol. The owner I'm assuming told me he did quality control on 1500 units himself, listened to every pair to make sure they sounded right. Pretty impressive i might add. I may add to your review after longer sessions with them.

Edit: i just changed the tips on them, wow they made hell of a difference, the guys at Planet of sound recommended to use their tips as they were designed for those.... i have to disagree.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #110 of 275
So i went to audition them, i have to say i quite like them. The ue triple fi separation, extention and detail is amazing compared to this one. For me the deal breaker was the lack of mid range (on the ue triple fi), which is something important to me in the genres of music i listen to. For 100$ plus $10 apocalypse warranty it's a great buy. The pair i auditioned on my set up had a slight distortion in the right ear at higher volumes. The workers there didn't hear it. So i thought I'd give them a try anyway and took the plunge. My set doesn't have the distortion luckily. So far I'm enjoying them, and will use these for the gym since the warranty allows me to use them without care lol. The owner I'm assuming told me he did quality control on 1500 units himself, listened to every pair to make sure they sounded right. Pretty impressive i might add. I may add to your review after longer sessions with them.

No, the owner lives in Toronto and runs the store there, unless he was down which I doubt. The owners name is Gunnar. You might have been speaking to either William or Peter. Did you notice if they have any Momentums as floor models? I'm tempted to go audition a pair as I am about to sell my XS for too little ($120) I should have asked for $140, but what the hell, I wanted a quick sale so what are you going to do. My XS are so mint that $120 is a total steal.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #111 of 275

Well, I want to take a FiiO L5 cable, and reterminate the 3.5 end with micro USB. What I want is to get the new Oppo HA-2, but the input on it is micro USB and as I use the Sony A17 as a DAP I need to work from the FiiO L5. I would also like to get an adapter made that allows me to use my Norne cable with 3.5mm connectors as I want to get the new Sony Z7 and at the cups you need to use 3.5mm connectors. So there would need to be some way of joining the 3.5mm connectors with the connectors on the Norne cable that attach to the HE 560 cup connectors. These are just two little projects, but I would be open to getting a custom cable made by you as well. I think having a local Ottawa crafter doing this is a great idea, and I suspect if you got good at it and a few people knew about you you might have lots of work from Canadians.

Pretty much you need female Hifiman HE connectors to male 3.5mm connectors, i think that is a simple job given if the female connectors can be found. Im not familiar with usb audio, i would i have to look up schematics on how both the sony LOD and the micro usb are  connected internally to know how it works, im more familiar with stereo audio opposed to digital. I dont know how soon you want them done, or if you want me to take shot at them or not, but im ordering materials this week most likely, it will be the first time working with occ silver plated so i guess i wanted to try a test run and see if my cables are even worth putting into the market you know what i mean?

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #112 of 275
  Pretty much you need female Hifiman HE connectors to male 3.5mm connectors, i think that is a simple job given if the female connectors can be found. Im not familiar with usb audio, i would i have to look up schematics on how both the sony LOD and the micro usb are  connected internally to know how it works, im more familiar with stereo audio opposed to digital. I dont know how soon you want them done, or if you want me to take shot at them or not, but im ordering materials this week most likely, it will be the first time working with occ silver plated so i guess i wanted to try a test run and see if my cables are even worth putting into the market you know what i mean?

Apparently there is no way around getting the expensive Sony cable. However, the Sony cable is still not correctly terminated and would need either an adapter (no go for me as I need pocket friendly) so I have to get a retermination to micro USB no matter what. I should be more clear, I don't have the Sony Z7 yet, not till I sell my Vibro, but I do want to get the Oppo and Sony A17 cable issue solved. The Oppo is in backorder until mid/end of month anyway.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #113 of 275

No, the owner lives in Toronto and runs the store there, unless he was down which I doubt. The owners name is Gunnar. You might have been speaking to either William or Peter. Did you notice if they have any Momentums as floor models? I'm tempted to go audition a pair as I am about to sell my XS for too little ($120) I should have asked for $140, but what the hell, I wanted a quick sale so what are you going to do. My XS are so mint that $120 is a total steal.

i didnt notice the momemtums there, i saw a wall full of grados, and the other wall was full of audio tech's and Focal spirit series, oh! they did have both the master n dynamic m30 and m40's there though all for audition ofcourse. I tried the MD 40's i quite liked them, though i walked in 5 minutes before closing so i didnt get to properly listen to them. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #114 of 275

Apparently there is no way around getting the expensive Sony cable. However, the Sony cable is still not correctly terminated and would need either an adapter (no go for me as I need pocket friendly) so I have to get a retermination to micro USB no matter what. I should be more clear, I don't have the Sony Z7 yet, not till I sell my Vibro, but I do want to get the Oppo and Sony A17 cable issue solved. The Oppo is in backorder until mid/end of month anyway.

nvm i just realized said z7 , for some reason i thought you were upgrading your dap lol wow, yeah i think if we can find male hifiman He connectors, we can make an adapter to be he 560 male to 3.5mm male for each side. This way you have one cable for both he 560 and z7.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #115 of 275

Edit: i just changed the tips on them, wow they made hell of a difference, the guys at Planet of sound recommended to use their tips as they were designed for those.... i have to disagree.

Glad to see you like them.  I was a little surprised to see that not a single other person on this forum has posted anything about these little gems.  Made me a little nervous about recommending them actually.  Maybe they're hearing something that I'm not or something.  But yeah, at $100 I think they're a steal, and I forgot about the extra no questions asked warranty.  And yeah, changing the tips is almost required.  The phones are great, but the packaging and accessories (or lack thereof) is kinda disappointing, but in the end what you're paying for is the sound.  Here's hoping a full and proper review gets posted of these bad boys someday by someone a little more articulate than myself.

On a side note, I made a quick trip down to Odgensburg to grab my HD650s.  Loving them straight out of the gate.  May end up putting my MS2 up for sale.  Gonna take a few days to figure that out.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #116 of 275
Glad to see you like them.  I was a little surprised to see that not a single other person on this forum has posted anything about these little gems.  Made me a little nervous about recommending them actually.  Maybe they're hearing something that I'm not or something.  But yeah, at $100 I think they're a steal, and I forgot about the extra no questions asked warranty.  And yeah, changing the tips is almost required.  The phones are great, but the packaging and accessories (or lack thereof) is kinda disappointing, but in the end what you're paying for is the sound.  Here's hoping a full and proper review gets posted of these bad boys someday by someone a little more articulate than myself.

On a side note, I made a quick trip down to Odgensburg to grab my HD650s.  Loving them straight out of the gate.  May end up putting my MS2 up for sale.  Gonna take a few days to figure that out.

Let me know about the ms2 i might be interested, i liked them, though they were hidden in the other room lol. After an hour im starting to hear a crackling distortion in the left one. Im starting to question my amp... but it hasnt done that to any other phone.... i wonder if you had free time sometime to compare our sets on my portable setup to see if mine is actually defective before i go start complaining to them.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #117 of 275
Let me know about the ms2 i might be interested, i liked them, though they were hidden in the other room lol. After an hour im starting to hear a crackling distortion in the left one. Im starting to question my amp... but it hasnt done that to any other phone.... i wonder if you had free time sometime to compare our sets on my portable setup to see if mine is actually defective before i go start complaining to them.

I'll let you know if I'm selling or not.  I'd give you guys a better deal than I would of the F/S forum if I do.  As for meeting up, my days off are Thursday and Sunday.  What area are you in?  Maybe we can make something happen.  Keep in mind I've never amped my e200 though, so I can't comment on how they perform juiced up.  Maybe they don't like the extra power, though that's very unlikely.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #118 of 275

I'll let you know if I'm selling or not.  I'd give you guys a better deal than I would of the F/S forum if I do.  As for meeting up, my days off are Thursday and Sunday.  What area are you in?  Maybe we can make something happen.  Keep in mind I've never amped my e200 though, so I can't comment on how they perform juiced up.  Maybe they don't like the extra power, though that's very unlikely.

I live in the Chinatown area, Booth and Somerset, i am mobile though so i could commute to virtually anywhere, i just prefer not downtown during rush hour though lol. Im free on those days, as my work schedule is pretty free these days. The problem became way more apparent when i changed the tips, seems the stock tips drowns so much detail out that crackle/buzz distortion is only audible at high volumes, but with the  changed tips show them at medium to medium/high volumes, and its now driving me crazy!!!lol

Oh yeah i tried them just on my DAP, then changed DAPs, then on my pc. Its definitely the set, now i just wanna make sure its my set.... my other IE's are rated 8 ohms and can handle high amped volumes with ease, so i expected these 16 ohms to handle them np.... really confused.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #119 of 275
  I live in the Chinatown area, Booth and Somerset, i am mobile though so i could commute to virtually anywhere, i just prefer not downtown during rush hour though lol. Im free on those days, as my work schedule is pretty free these days. The problem became way more apparent when i changed the tips, seems the stock tips drowns so much detail out that crackle/buzz distortion is only audible at high volumes, but with the  changed tips show them at medium to medium/high volumes, and its now driving me crazy!!!lol

Oh yeah i tried them just on my DAP, then changed DAPs, then on my pc. Its definitely the set, now i just wanna make sure its my set.... my other IE's are rated 8 ohms and can handle high amped volumes with ease, so i expected these 16 ohms to handle them np.... really confused.

I wonder about sensitivity, although I can't imagine why that would be an issue unless one is way more sensitive than the other?

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #120 of 275
are we still good for Tmr brotha? I was reading the other Ottawa meet thread from few years ago, you live near the airport? I can definitely come to the south if that's more convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back