Ottawa Region 2015 Head-fi Meet - Respond here
Feb 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #76 of 275
We will have to put the start time back a little bit folks as the Executive Director is here until noon and he of course doesn't want people around while he is working. He is planning on working until around noon so to be safe as he is often late I am going to say we should meet here for 1:30pm. We can decide if we want to stay later or if we have enough time from 1:30 - 4pm. Sorry about this, but he wasn't able to get all of his work done during the week and he comes in on Sunday when he needs to. For those of you who haven't already done so, please PM me a contact phone number as it makes things easier. Cheers.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #77 of 275
For those coming from the west side of town, take note that Rideau St between Sussex and Nicholas is closed to cars all weekend due to a construction crane removal (it is still open for pedestrians).

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #78 of 275
I dont have much to bring, so ill bring what i have.

Fiio X1
Rockboxed iPod 5.5  classic
Cayin C5 Portable Amp
PSB M4U1
Clarity One IE's

too bad this couldnt be next sunday i'd have the K7xx's in by then. Anyone living around the Chinatown area need a ride let me know, i plan to show up around 2pm.

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #79 of 275
On behalf of everyone who showed up, I'd like to thank you Mark for hosting the meet yesterday.  It was lots of fun and for me a great opportunity to listen to top-notch gear and set some essential life objectives for myself *cough LCD-3 cough cough*

Benoit

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #80 of 275
It was a pleasure, and a great group of people to spend some time with. No Captain Sweatpants like characters! I like The Big Bang Theory so I had to get a reference in there somehow. I was also very impressed with the LCD-3. Fortunately for my wallet it didn't sound enough better than the 560 for me to justify that type of expense so I can rest easy and spend money on the new Schiit DAC!

I really enjoyed the different gear and only wish I had more time to audition much of it! Anyway, I would like to host another meet hopefully by the end of the summer and this time I will have time to prepare and use the upper floor which is more suitable. Thanks Benoit, glad to know you found the meet worthwhile. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #81 of 275
Yes i had lots of fun, took some nice photos, definitely would love to attend another meet. Wish i compared some sets on different dac/combos to see which complimented each other best to my preference in audio. That way i know which set up to shop for. Hopefully we can do another meet before end of summer. And yes thank you Mark for hosting. Maybe we can take turns hosting, alleviate the responsibility from Mark so he can audition more gear. It was nice meeting you all, i was thoroughly surprised on how nice and friendly everyone was.
Till the next time!

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #82 of 275
lt was great to hear some of the rigs @ the meet,and even greater to meet all the friendly people also who do not think spending more then $XXXX on an audio rig is weird. Gotta give an applause for Mark for hosting this event.
Happy listening till the next time

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #83 of 275
  lt was great to hear some of the rigs @ the meet,and even greater to meet all the friendly people also who do not think spending more then $XXXX on an audio rig is weird. Gotta give an applause for Mark for hosting this event.
Happy listening till the next time

Funny how i can tell who you were from your inventory of gear lol. And yes, i have to tell my girlfriend i got my new item from some trade or crazy deal or borrowed it from someone...... it really sucks that she knows when something is new.... 

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #85 of 275
l do hope to see some of the camera pics that Kyaku took ( as he had a decent camera compaired to 1) my phone and 2) my old sony one),l did enjoy watching people trying out the wa7s with their gear, and Justin giving a thumbs up when listening to what looked like the LCD2s..., that beast of a NAD amp though with the 560s(?) was amazing... when l first got to the location and after setup l felt like a kid in a candy store,l didn't know where to start ( which is a good thing in hindsight) also actually seeing some of actual size of some gear kinda blew my mind.( might have to get some schiit gear now, and a pair of grados ( and slightly mod them)

@ Kyaku
personally l'd go with the crazy deal route, if you are going to keep the gear for a while... IF not then l'd say "l borrowed if from <person X>" 
tongue_smile.gif
and after you pass them on to hopefully a good home,  then it goes " see told you l borrowed them ", but that is just me. hahaha

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #86 of 275
Thanks Sonic Defender for organizing it, I had a lot of fun trying out new stuff. Yeah Greamlin, your LCD2s made my heart flutter, so much so that I already purchased one for myself :). If I am available, I will definitely come out to the next one! 

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #87 of 275
Had a great time too! Thanks to all who participated and to Sonic Defender for organizing!

@darkware
Congrats on the LCD2s! I have to say I am also seriously considering getting them... :)  They were a really nice match with your Lyr2, you'll enjoy them.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #88 of 275
Glad people had fun. I also really liked the Audeze sound. Slightly too warm for me which is likely why I still prefer the 560 myself as it is a little closer to neutral, but the rich tonal warmth of the LCD 2 and 3 I heard were indeed very appealing. I think I could happily live with either of those headphones! I think the LCD sound is a very quick to warm up to signature (no pun intended) where I can see the 560 needing a little more head time to appreciate as the well extended top-end can be a challenge. I know it took me a few listening sessions before my brain got acclimated. I look forward to the next meet as I hope to spend a little more time with the LCDs on my rig as it is always best to have the fewest changes when evaluating a headphone. As mentioned, I didn't find either of the LCDs at all uncomfortable.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #89 of 275
  Any chance of seeing some pics from Sunday in this thread?

Yes give me a day or two to get them onto my pc and then uploaded onto flickr
  l do hope to see some of the camera pics that Kyaku took ( as he had a decent camera compaired to 1) my phone and 2) my old sony one),l did enjoy watching people trying out the wa7s with their gear, and Justin giving a thumbs up when listening to what looked like the LCD2s..., that beast of a NAD amp though with the 560s(?) was amazing... when l first got to the location and after setup l felt like a kid in a candy store,l didn't know where to start ( which is a good thing in hindsight) also actually seeing some of actual size of some gear kinda blew my mind.( might have to get some schiit gear now, and a pair of grados ( and slightly mod them)

@ Kyaku
personally l'd go with the crazy deal route, if you are going to keep the gear for a while... IF not then l'd say "l borrowed if from <person X>" 
tongue_smile.gif
and after you pass them on to hopefully a good home,  then it goes " see told you l borrowed them ", but that is just me. hahaha

As i said to Delirious Lab. Also do you know which grados those were? I was trying to figure out which model they were....

Thanks Sonic Defender for organizing it, I had a lot of fun trying out new stuff. Yeah Greamlin, your LCD2s made my heart flutter, so much so that I already purchased one for myself :). If I am available, I will definitely come out to the next one! 

I dont think those LCD2's belonged to Greamlin correct me if im wrong, however congrats on the purchase, may i ask where you got them from?

Glad people had fun. I also really liked the Audeze sound. Slightly too warm for me which is likely why I still prefer the 560 myself as it is a little closer to neutral, but the rich tonal warmth of the LCD 2 and 3 I heard were indeed very appealing. I think I could happily live with either of those headphones! I think the LCD sound is a very quick to warm up to signature (no pun intended) where I can see the 560 needing a little more head time to appreciate as the well extended top-end can be a challenge. I know it took me a few listening sessions before my brain got acclimated. I look forward to the next meet as I hope to spend a little more time with the LCDs on my rig as it is always best to have the fewest changes when evaluating a headphone. As mentioned, I didn't find either of the LCDs at all uncomfortable.

I liked the 560's also, i waited quite awhile for them to be free to try them out. I was quite shocked on the MDR 1a's  though fun, it complimented my drum n bass tracks well. I can see myself getting a pair in the future for my faster harder hitting genre of music. I found a Canadian seller selling them for $230, so im considering them, i wish i put a but more time on them, i cant recall the comfortability level, and also how sweaty they would get after a long walk. Also that pair (i dont remember the name and model) the one you got for $490 USD i quite liked those as well. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #90 of 275

Yes give me a day or two to get them onto my pc and then uploaded onto flickr
As i said to Delirious Lab. Also do you know which grados those were? I was trying to figure out which model they were....

I dont think those LCD2's belonged to Greamlin correct me if im wrong, however congrats on the purchase, may i ask where you got them from?

I liked the 560's also, i waited quite awhile for them to be free to try them out. I was quite shocked on the MDR 1a's  though fun, it complimented my drum n bass tracks well. I can see myself getting a pair in the future for my faster harder hitting genre of music. I found a Canadian seller selling them for $230, so im considering them, i wish i put a but more time on them, i cant recall the comfortability level, and also how sweaty they would get after a long walk. Also that pair (i dont remember the name and model) the one you got for $490 USD i quite liked those as well. 

The Grados were Alesandro MS Pros I believe. I might havew misspelled the name. The other headphone you mentioned is the ZMF x Vibro. It is a very clean, somewhat bass light headphone, but if the music is very bassy, it actually has a calming effect on the bass which while counter intuitive, actually is very nice. The ZMF reveals a depth of detail in the lower mids that is often a little obscure. Next time we get together I'll play you a few tracks that really illustrate this. I'm also open to mini-meets with people so if anybody lives near Bank and Walkley road where I am perhaps we could find a few hours sometime.

The MDR1A is very nice, I used mine today on the go with the E12 and my Sony A17 DAP. They are extremely comfortable, but I think any over the ear headphone will get sweaty given enough time. Today after coming out of the gym with an elevated body temp I found I got a little sweaty and hot feeling with them on, but I took about 15 minutes to cool down and after that they were fine. I think in the summer heat they will be hot if you are walking around, but otherwise they seem fine in that respect. I prefer my V-Moda XS for the temperature factor, and their sound signature, but damn the 1As are fun. Slightly more bass than I prefer, but only just, and nothing I can't tame with a slight parametric EQ cut here and there. Cheers, and thanks for taking a few pictures, that was a nice bonus to have for the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back