Other peoples passions you just don't get
Jun 23, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #32 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skydiving. Still can't see why you'd willingly jump out of a perfectly good plane.

Makes it faster to get away from those pesky geese floating around up in those skies.

As for sports I think it may be more the watching it aspect. I enjoy playing baseball or golf and the like. But I just never could get into watching it and really enjoying doing so. At least some watch baseball from more of a statistics approach. Doesn't help me to get into it, but there is a reason I could at least imagine there.

Running obsessions. People want to stay fit, I understand that. But cycling or swimming or cross country skiing-all of it is better for your knees and support joints. Running is kind of destructive, its a lot of force and with particular respect to the hardcore runner its a lot of miles everyday. Theres just better ways that are more efficient and less harmful to stay fit. And those shoes for running can go for a fortune.

Maybe thats where the lacking really is, I just have yet to fill my feet into a really great and expensive running shoe. Perhaps Im missing out on some sort of world filled with podia-gasm splendor...

Nah

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #33 of 85
1. I don't get obsessions over fashion, clothing is clothing!
2. I don't comprehend obsessions over "celebrities."
3. I don't understand obsessions over staying fit and exercise
4. I don't grok obsessions over baseball card, stamp, toy, and other junk collections.
5. I don't follow obsessions over ****** headphones.
6. I don't grasp obsessions over Japanese animation
7. I don't apprehend obsessions over weight
8. I don't take in obsessions over
9. I don't conceive obsessions over jewelry
10. I don't read obsessions over RSA.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #34 of 85
I'm failing to comprehend how so many people don't understand many people's obsessions with clothing, accessories, and looks in general. It all boils down to the basic animal drive to attract mates and propagate one's genes. In essence a man wearing an Armani suit or a Rolex watch is akin to a pea**** preening itself to appear more attractive to potential mates. Despite all the obsfucation and protestations of the contrary, humans are still animals subject to certain instincts.

EDIT: The ****-block filter is becoming quite annoying. Totally ruined my example.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #35 of 85
The pea****s preen because they have to, what else are you going to do with a tail that you have been evolutionarily forced into having so big it actually lowers your survivability. They just keep pushing you towards that edge man, pushing to that edge, lol j/k. sort of.

As for the clothes it's one thing to like to look nice, its another to actually be drawn to so many pairs of shoes or suits just because they are shoes or suits. Its like if you had someone buy up 35 pairs of headphones not because they liked the sound but because they like the look of the headphone on the wall. Once you loose any sense of the functionality then there is a problem. I need that user with the sig stating something to the effect of "Once you've lost yourself so much into the equipment that you forget about the music, its time to find a new hobby."

My thought at least on clothes and shoes, and perhaps other users here as well. Can't say Im in great control of my contraints either, I tend to obsessively buy things up. Luckily they don't tend to take up as much room as shoes. Usually ends up being a fishing lure or cooking wear, makes me look useful I guess lol.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #36 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone already said it, but...celebrities. Real people are so much more interesting.

so celebrities are not real people? that's news to me.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #37 of 85
No, they're not real. They are only grotesquely distorted caricatures of real people.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #38 of 85
I guess the actual thing I don't understand about clothes isn't the looking nice part, it's the "buying a "popular" brand name for more money than buying a cheaper brand that looks the same except the name"

You can buy fairly cheap clothes at Kohl's or Gordman's or wherever that look pretty similar to the popular brand names.

does my rambling make sense?

If you understood that, then that's what I meant when I said paying for a name.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #39 of 85
I'll wager that most of the celebrity watchers are women, not men.

Women are more social creatures then men. Many love to discuss the goings on in their lives, and the lives of their friends. That just extends to being able to talk and gossip about high profile celebrities and their lives. Look at the covers of women's magazines and men's magazines in stores, and you can see we just don't have the same general interests.

Personally, I don't care much about celebrities either.

The clothes thing makes sense too...some people like style. That seems reasonable to me...not everything in life has to have some larger substantive or practical value.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #40 of 85
OK...how about fantasy sports? This is one that I've never understood at all. I mean, I enjoy peeking at stats from time to time, but I've got no interest at all in anything as involved as whether to start Tiki Barber or Reggie Bush in week 7.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: for the record, I'm a huge sports fan...I just don't understand THIS aspect of some fan's love of sports.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #41 of 85
People who say clothing must have never worn a NICE pair of jeans, or a NICE T-shirt. Not just the fit, but the fabric makes a difference.

Maybe it's because I have my own clothing line, but anybody who says they don't understand how it could a passion or whatever or matching, needs to sit and really think about it.

When you see somebody, regardless if you know what brands or whatever, when you see a person, I don't care what anybody says, you judge/classify/sterotype them. Whether you stick to it or not, is up to you, but you make your own judgement. Why do you think those stories of people looking like bums, then buying $$$$ cars is so odd? It's because you for the most part associate clothing with successful.

I dunno...it's kinda hard to explain, but I'll try my best to convey this analogy to headphones. If all you truley care about is SQ, would you buy a limegreen headset that says "I'm a *********" on the side? No, because YOU care about what it looks like. Same goes for how the headphones fit or how comfy tehy are, the same applies to clothing. Nothing feels better than a TShirt or pair of jeans that FIT PERFECTLY and feel great.

And in the case of "You're paying for the name..." You do get better quality with the higher end clothes. Example? Shoes. You can't see why people pay $500 for a pair of shoes? The heels are covered with leather(or other fabric). Most high heel shoes (cheapies) leave the heel exposed. Also, most are just wood glued together, whereas the heel on the Manolo's have a steel or aluminum rod or shaft covered by wood then covered with leather for durability and stiffness. Also reinforcing the entire shoes so the heel will never(well, significantly less chance) break off. The inner soles are constructed with an impact absorbing material similar to ABS plastic, so they can be worn all day with less fatigue. Also, the leathers and fabrics used are of much higher grade and the stitching is of 100% silk threading for not only strength, but durability. Those shoes will last a woman 10 years. So does $500 sound bad for a pair of shoes that will last 10 years? Not so expensive anymore huh?

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #42 of 85
Wafflesomd Quote:

Well, if you have an awsome job, I can see why you are happy to go to work everyday.

That's kinda what I'm shotting for actually.

I agree with you. There's a saying I heard that I don't know who quoted it but it's worth repeating here: "Find a job you love and you'll never have to work another day in your life"

You've already got a jump on the multitude with your outlook. Best of luck in your search.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #43 of 85
Now that I have read this thread I am beginning to be concerned about my obsession with this type of thing.

Clothing...I get brand name items...secondhad at thrift stores. Let someone else pay the big bucks. I get good clothing for less than cheap crappy clothing. I hate to pay more than $5 for a pair of jeans or a shirt....buyng new takes away from my hi-fi budget.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

oicdn: People who say clothing must have never worn a NICE pair of jeans, or a NICE T-shirt. Not just the fit, but the fabric makes a difference.

Congrats on the clothing line and I have a question for you regarding materials. I notice your avatar
cool.gif
looks about as soft as any fur or manmade material I've ever seen.
Is it possible to turn it inside out and make a form fitting winter shirt with it? Talk about being comfortable on the skin!
OK enough trying to be innocently funny
redface.gif
You do have a cool avatar
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #45 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK...how about fantasy sports? This is one that I've never understood at all. I mean, I enjoy peeking at stats from time to time, but I've got no interest at all in anything as involved as whether to start Tiki Barber or Reggie Bush in week 7.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: for the record, I'm a huge sports fan...I just don't understand THIS aspect of some fan's love of sports.

I agree with this. I tried a fantasy pool for the NHL playoffs this year and I couldn't even keep my interest up for the first round.

But I think that anyone who can get really into that stuff would probably make a great accountant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back