Other peoples passions you just don't get
Jun 22, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 85
$3000 fishing poles, rare wine, the OCD about bolting as much functionless chrome to a Harley-Davidson as is mechanically possible (My $10,000 bike has $15,000 worth of chrome. Now its worth $7500!), collections of anything with "collectible" in the name.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clothes. Why do people need to always buy the most popular brands and spend so darn much on each shirt or pants? Clothing in general seems like Bose to me: You pay for the Name.

Well, I'll have to disagree. For clothes, you're paying for a look, not necessarily a name.

And since you're almost always wearing clothes, it's a fast and effective way to show group affiliation, differentiate yourself from others, and mark your social status.

/Says a guy who buys clothes perhaps twice a year with tastes that lean towards anonymous work casual.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 85
"Celebrities", ugh. How people can possibly invest so much time and energy into the lives of those scumbags is beyond me.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Celebrities", ugh. How people can possibly invest so much time and energy into the lives of those scumbags is beyond me.

My mom watches Extra......WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And since you're almost always wearing clothes, it's a fast and effective way to show group affiliation, differentiate yourself from others, and mark your social status.

You know it's funny. When I have a gf, I never shop clothes. When I don't...

--

I don't understand the gun thing. My brother is a big disciple. His house is bursting with them. That last time we went to the range, my main memory consisted of picking up casings so he could refill them. It seems odd to me. "Why don't you sell a couple guns and get a killer t.v.," I chide him with.

However, I know whose house I'm going to if the big shakedown happens.

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why people care so much about celebrities as well.

Bam: "Hi, I'm Bam Margera. I've become insanely rich doing things that would get anyone else arrested."

Average People: "Father our children!!"

----------------------------------------------------

Jarvik: "Hi, I'm Robert Jarvik. I developed the Jarvik-7, the first successful self-contained artifical heart."

Average People: "Who?"

Jarvik: "I'm the guy in the Lipitor™ commercial."

Average People: "Why didn't you say so?!"

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #23 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$3000 fishing poles, rare wine, the OCD about bolting as much functionless chrome to a Harley-Davidson as is mechanically possible (My $10,000 bike has $15,000 worth of chrome. Now its worth $7500!), collections of anything with "collectible" in the name.

Accessories rarely add much to the market value of a motorcycle or car, and chrome is no exception. My dad has a BMW R-1200 GS and was shopping for a Road King Classic, and its really crazy how much people put into these bikes just to get out less then half their purchase price in the end. Someone with 30K put into his bike was listing a negotiable price of 16K, because their accessories just don't matter.

And for those of you who haven't ever flipped through a Harley parts catalog - let me tell you, its easily worse than most audio products. $300 seat frames (the actual seat is extra) $100 headlight overhangs, $50 gas cap coverings, and the list goes on...

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #24 of 85
NM. I think I stepped over the boundaries.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's just me, but if you are not passionate, even to the point of obsession, about your work, then you need to look carefully at changing your job.

It's not just you, but actually changing jobs to something you have that kind of passion for isn't realistic for most.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 85
Shoes and..... very very heavy make up on girls... personally, I prefer the natural look...

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4.) Sports; if you can't control what goes on, why care?

Not to be an ass, but you seem to be forgetting that you can also participate in sports too. I'm guessing most people who hate sports never actually competed in them, which would make for quite an uneventful childhood and life imo. At least I myself could not have imagined going through childhood without at least playing some sport. I'm not too active anymore but I sure long for the good old days

Anyhow, I agree with the whole Celeb thing as it's completely obnoxious. I couldn't care less if other people live by it, but when we start seeing networks cover nothing but it gets annoying fast (Paris Hilton, Anna Nicole, Britney, etc...). Not to mention that most of the personal problems these celebs end up having are probably directly related to too much media exposure and trying to live up to their image.

I'm also not really into religion, but if that's something you want to obsess about then feel free too, just don't bother me about it as I wouldn't think to do the same to you.

Sneaker obsessions are a little weird too. I can kind of understand the fascination, but those few that go out of their way to have 20 pairs of the same shoes that differ in no other way than in color/design scare me a little. In the end you are still just wearing a big advertisement

Riced cars usually end up looking like crap, so I still don't understand why people do it.

Eh, can't think of anything else right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back