Other peoples passions you just don't get
Jun 22, 2007 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
We each are passionate about certain things, as I assume most of us here are into audio and music. When I think of other peoples passions that are not my own, I am usually indifferent as I know "to each his/her own". But there are some passions I just don't get. I can't see how it's possible to be passionate about it. In the past I would have put NASCAR on the list below, but over time I realize that although I don't particularly care for auto racing, I do see how intense it can be, and I don't mean about crashes but about the strategy of racing.

Here are a few for instances (and of course I don't mean to offend anybody who IS passionate about the following) of those passions of others I just don't get:

Celebrities in the news - whether it be actors/actresses or athletes off field escapades, who cares? I just don't see how people can read the People/State magazines or watch E!. I'm sick of Paris Hilton, Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, etc. I suppose the steroids problem in baseball may have some interest since steroids themselves are illegal.

Clothes - Having a shoe for every possible color combination/day/etc - a closet full, why? Having clothing that could fill a trailer truck - why? I'm wearing shirts and pants I bought 10 years ago. My wife/daughter get excited when they get a new dress. I find purchasing a shirt no more exciting than wiping gum off of my shoe.

Work - OK, this one is interesting. I know people who are passionate about their work, and can't wait to go to work everyday. I don't know all of the reasons why - maybe they truly enjoy their work, or maybe it's the drive to make as much money as possible. Work to me is a means to an end - earn money to fund MY passions.

I'm being pretty hypocritical here, as people could look at me with my ridiculous collection of gadgets (my favorite passion) and just think/say What! I have a huge pasison for music - I listen probably 8 hours per day on average, where I know others that listen to almost no music.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 85
I don't understand why people care so much about celebrities as well.

I do understand clothes and work though. Clothes is no different than why some of us own multiple headphones. Once you break a certain number, it's just excessive. You might use them all, but how often do you use them. I, for one, have no problem owning multiple headphones, as long as I'm financially stable to do so.

Generally, I can understand why someone would love something. Everyone has different interests. It's just people who obsess over celebrities that gets me to... o_O

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 85
Yeah I agree with all three. Especially the celebrities. And I suppose the clothing is fine for a female, but I can't understand why some men do it (Well work attire such as suits is acceptable, but the whole t shirt matching your shoes thing does seem strange.)

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 85
Regarding celebrity, it's actually a strange 'trick' our brain plays on us. Basically as social animals we are tuned to make friends with the people around us. Modern society has isolated many of us to the point where we're suspicious of pretty much anyone we don't already know, but celebrities are 'safe'. Through the media we know more about celebrities than we do about our neighbors...sometimes even more than our own relatives! It's easy to subconsciously see them as 'friends'. People feel like they 'know' celebs.

I personally don't get into celebs, but I can see why others do...force yourself to watch E! for a month and I bet something will get you. It's human nature.

I guess the only hobbies I don't 'get' are ones that go overboard. I can see getting into audio...but a $250K stereo??? I can see getting into cars, but $100K worth of tuning??? I can see getting into fashion, but dozens of pairs of $700 shoes???

Basically what freaks me out is when people go from hobby to obsession...it's like an irrational fixation of some 'thing'.

--Illah

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 85
Yea, I agree with Illah. When a passion develops into an obsession, then I just don't get it. But I can kind of understand any passion.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 85
Wow! We are absolutely all in accordance with Celebrities!

But why are so many folks so curious about other peoples weddings!? I mean; total strangers, not even "Celebrities"!?

And a whole series of TV shows where they show folks cleaning their sloppy homes and having yard sales?

And "Reality TV Shows"! Where's the draw there!? What's the fun of spending eight weeks watching one group after another fail, till someone is finally left standing.

...I think I got off the track.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 85
Clothes. Why do people need to always buy the most popular brands and spend so darn much on each shirt or pants? Clothing in general seems like Bose to me: You pay for the Name.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Celebrities lives in general, sports.

I agree with the celeb thing and sports. Especially hard core nutty sports fans, scary! Form of a control, much like many things, to divert attention and appease the masses. Aiee!

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 85
Celebs and TV. Probably the first is a bit of a part of the second though.
And following the latest trends on clothes, jewelry-blingbling-stuff, shoes. In common, the exterior looks were everybody seems so obsessed with.
I mean, I like clothes because for me they express a little bit how I feel at that very moment I put them on. But I just wear what I like and don't dress up according to the latest fashion (wich sucks bigtime anyway the last few years).

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 85
I don't understand why people spend more than $10 on a pair of headphones. But hey, whatever makes you happy right.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back