OSX Lion
Aug 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #106 of 122

Quote:
System Preferences > General > Uncheck the "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" and set everything to Never.

That's Lion's "Resume" which opens everything right back up when shutting down, quitting, or really anything else. In my opinion, one of Lions worst "upgrades"

Nice find...  I'll give it a try.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #107 of 122
Aug 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #108 of 122
Go into System Preferences -> Users and Groups, click on your username and the "Login Items" tab and see what is there. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #110 of 122

Quote:
System Preferences > General > Uncheck the "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" and set everything to Never.

That's Lion's "Resume" which opens everything right back up when shutting down, quitting, or really anything else. In my opinion, one of Lions worst "upgrades"

I followed your instructions to the T, and I'm still having the same problems. Even if I didn't use Vuze, iTunes or now, a new one…. VLC, which is very rare, it opens like clockwork upon boot up.

It's iTunes 10.4 (80)

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #111 of 122
I followed your instructions to the T, and I'm still having the same problems. Even if I didn't use Vuze, iTunes or now, a new one…. VLC, which 9s very rare, it opens like clockwork upon boot up.

I honestly have no idea if it's not Resume and you don't have anything set to open on startup. Resume was the likely one, you could try as Currawong said and check to see if anything is in the login startup programs.

I didn't have any related problems, but my whole machine was running pretty bad before the update, and worse immediately after, so I did a fresh install of Lion (made an install disc from the update app's files), and have not had a problem yet.

Because of the fresh install, there is nearly nothing in my list, but my "Login Items" are:
iTunes Helper
BetterTouchTool
gfxCardStatus

The only thing directly related to iTunes itself probably should be that one or third party things related to it you set to run on startup yourself. Vuze and VLC should probably not have anything there for any reason.

If nothing works, and you are unwilling to do a fresh install (I would have been if I had anything actually important on here that wouldn't fit on my other drives), you might want to just wait until the 10.7.1 update to see if it is just a weird Lion bug they haven't fixed yet.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #112 of 122
Is anyone having problems with Flash player in Lion? Some sites just play videos/streams extremely choppy, like justin.tv or Blizzard's RayV player. It definitely wasn't my internet connection because my desktop, using wifi, didn't have problems. I've tried Flash Player 10.2, as well as the newest versions of 10.3 and Flash Player 11 to no avail. I gave up and had to go back to Snow Leopard but I miss natural scrolling and the new multi-touch gestures. Also, Preview was pretty awesome because it worked as a MS Office Viewer.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #114 of 122

Quote:
Is anyone having problems with Flash player in Lion? Some sites just play videos/streams extremely choppy, like justin.tv or Blizzard's RayV player. It definitely wasn't my internet connection because my desktop, using wifi, didn't have problems. I've tried Flash Player 10.2, as well as the newest versions of 10.3 and Flash Player 11 to no avail. I gave up and had to go back to Snow Leopard but I miss natural scrolling and the new multi-touch gestures. Also, Preview was pretty awesome because it worked as a MS Office Viewer.

Are you using the latest version of Flash? The very latest version includes a System Preference Pane which has automatic updates, something long overdue.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #115 of 122

Quote:
I honestly have no idea if it's not Resume and you don't have anything set to open on startup. Resume was the likely one, you could try as Currawong said and check to see if anything is in the login startup programs.

I didn't have any related problems, but my whole machine was running pretty bad before the update, and worse immediately after, so I did a fresh install of Lion (made an install disc from the update app's files), and have not had a problem yet.

Because of the fresh install, there is nearly nothing in my list, but my "Login Items" are:
iTunes Helper
BetterTouchTool
gfxCardStatus

The only thing directly related to iTunes itself probably should be that one or third party things related to it you set to run on startup yourself. Vuze and VLC should probably not have anything there for any reason.

If nothing works, and you are unwilling to do a fresh install (I would have been if I had anything actually important on here that wouldn't fit on my other drives), you might want to just wait until the 10.7.1 update to see if it is just a weird Lion bug they haven't fixed yet.

I can't find where Lion resides so that I can do a fresh install. Can anyone help me out here. Like I said, I do PC IT at work. When it comes to MAC, I'm worthless.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #116 of 122
I can't find where Lion resides so that I can do a fresh install. Can anyone help me out here. Like I said, I do PC IT at work. When it comes to MAC, I'm worthless.

It deletes the file right after install because Apple assumes you will never want it again.

Here's how you do it:
Hold option (throughout the whole App Store process)
Open App Store
Go to your installed apps
re-download Lion
Once done, go to the app file, and right click it
"Show Package Contents"
Go to the /Contents/SharedSupport/ folder
Open InstallESD.dmg with Disk Utility

There you can either burn it to a DVD or put it on another drive to boot from. And now you have a Lion boot disk.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #117 of 122
Now, I can't attach any files to my Hotmail sent items. I get had ID attachment. Since I started with MAC (10 years now), I have never had so many problem. I bootcamp my iMac but not my Macbooks.

It's getting worse as time goes on

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #118 of 122
I am new to Mac, well, have had an iPod for a while and then beginning of this year got the first gen 64gig iPad. Then june of this year my second PC laptop failed in as many years and I thought, Sod it, I am going Mac.

I purchased the new 17" MacBook Pro and have not looked back. Luckilly I was within the time limit to have a free upgrade to Lion so got that a couple of weeks ago. I love it! This is light years ahead of anything Microsoft makes, add the build quality of the MacBook Pro and I am a happy bunny. The lion operating system is so easy to use for a non techy person like me. I love the backward scrolling and multi gesture feature especially.

So, a Mac convert and won't look back. I used to think the PC system was great but now I see what everyone is raving about with Mac!

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #119 of 122
I can tell you're a new guy. I got really used to the normal scrolling, so it took me about 5 minutes just to figure out how to get the configuration going because of the "natural scrolling" enabled during it.

If you're an old(er) mac guy, you either choose to get rid of the new one, or you spend the time to break your old habits and get used to the new one. It's a tolerate into love, or hate all the way thing with the changes in the trackpad area of the OS if you were used to the old settings.

I hated all of them, now I use "BetterTouchTool" and have everything set to the old Snow Leo settings.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #120 of 122

Quote:
I can tell you're a new guy. I got really used to the normal scrolling, so it took me about 5 minutes just to figure out how to get the configuration going because of the "natural scrolling" enabled during it.

If you're an old(er) mac guy, you either choose to get rid of the new one, or you spend the time to break your old habits and get used to the new one. It's a tolerate into love, or hate all the way thing with the changes in the trackpad area of the OS if you were used to the old settings.

I hated all of them, now I use "BetterTouchTool" and have everything set to the old Snow Leo settings.

+1 for BetterTouchTool. I use it all the time!

Does "Natural Scrolling" work in Microsoft Office 2011 too? I tried enabling it on my Snow Leopard Macbook, but it doesn't work for Office and some other applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back