OSX Lion
Jul 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #76 of 122

Quote:
I probably should have explained better how I use the feature, but yes, I use command-tab most of the time for app-switching.
  • The problem is, now, I can't select a dedicated space for an app as easily or quickly as I did before, without making it full-screen.

You can move windows to different spaces in Mission Control.  Click on a space while holding down the option key, then drag the app window from the frontmost selected space to another space.

Agreed, this is true, and I really missed this feature initially since I had assigned many of my oft used apps to open in particular windows spaces.  I had to adopt a new paradigm with the current iteration of mission control, and I think I'm liking it better.

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #77 of 122

Quote:
I probably should have explained better how I use the feature, but yes, I use command-tab most of the time for app-switching. The problem is, now, I can't select a dedicated space for an app as easily or quickly as I did before, without making it full-screen.

You can move windows to different spaces in Mission Control.  Click on a space while holding down the option key, then drag the app window from the frontmost selected space to another space.

Ah I see. I couldn't figure that out at the Apple Store and when I asked one of the employees, he told me that you couldn't move windows from a different space to another space.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #78 of 122

Quote:
Ah I see. I couldn't figure that out at the Apple Store and when I asked one of the employees, he told me that you couldn't move windows from a different space to another space.

Gee, I thought they trained their people better than that, although I've done a number of things and solved more than a few Mac problems that Apple either didn't admit to at all or simply had no solution for.  I'm waiting for them to call me back on an open issue for Lion as we speak.  Don't get me wrong, they're far better than the "other guys" up North, but they're not quite perfect.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #79 of 122
Not sure if you guys know about this already, but here is a great page of shortcuts for Mac like for "¢":

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codemac.html

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #80 of 122

Quote:
Not sure if you guys know about this already, but here is a great page of shortcuts for Mac like for "¢":

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codemac.html

I love this feature on the Mac keyboards!  Using the various accent shortcuts is useful for writing words in Spanish and Chinese Pinyin.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #82 of 122

Quote:
In lion you can just hold down a key for a bit and you get a pop-up for the character variations that you can select with a number.
ëęæõòôüüü

That doesn't work on my MBA

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #83 of 122

Quote:
I probably should have explained better how I use the feature, but yes, I use command-tab most of the time for app-switching. The problem is, now, I can't select a dedicated space for an app as easily or quickly as I did before, without making it full-screen.

You can, for example, assigning parallel on desktop 2
Go to desktop 2, open parallel, right click on the parallel dock icon, go to options, under assign to - checked desktop 2, done. Everytime I open parallel, it will open on desktop 2. However, don't close desktop 2 on your mission controll since it will erase the settings. 

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #85 of 122

Quote:
You can, for example, assigning parallel on desktop 2
Go to desktop 2, open parallel, right click on the parallel dock icon, go to options, under assign to - checked desktop 2, done. Everytime I open parallel, it will open on desktop 2. However, don't close desktop 2 on your mission controll since it will erase the settings. 

Nice find! Thanks for that. I was wondering how I now assigned apps to all desktops.  

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #87 of 122

It has been 9 days since my upgrade. Beside getting used to mission control instead of expose & space, the upgrade has been painless. However, I found one other problem, My macbook w/ 2.2 core 2 duo, 4gb ram and 7200rpm hard drive has run hotter under lion compared to Snow leopard. The cpu's temp used to range between 50-55 under snow leopard, now it idle around 60 and shoot up to 70 easily. Thus, the fan noise and the temp is annoying. 

I've been using parallel a lot lately though because it is faster and workable under lion while it was sluggish and frustrating to work with under snow leopard. However, even if I closed parallel, the temp still not going down, stayed at 69-70, until I restart it. I'll try to not use parallel for the next few days to see if parallel is indeed the culprit. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #89 of 122

Quote:
It has been 9 days since my upgrade. Beside getting used to mission control instead of expose & space, the upgrade has been painless. However, I found one other problem, My macbook w/ 2.2 core 2 duo, 4gb ram and 7200rpm hard drive has run hotter under lion compared to Snow leopard. The cpu's temp used to range between 50-55 under snow leopard, now it idle around 60 and shoot up to 70 easily. Thus, the fan noise and the temp is annoying. 

I've been using parallel a lot lately though because it is faster and workable under lion while it was sluggish and frustrating to work with under snow leopard. However, even if I closed parallel, the temp still not going down, stayed at 69-70, until I restart it. I'll try to not use parallel for the next few days to see if parallel is indeed the culprit. 

I assume you're running the latest version of Parallels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back