Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
May 5, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #156 of 264
Okay, I have both t-100 and 200s so I was hoping it was one of those. No rush, Golden week in Japan, I picked the wrong time to order I guess. Did get a response though yesterday that it would ship soon. Guess I will just have to deal with listening to earphones/headphones in my stable(see profile). I am short on iems though due to my issues with them generally. The fibass however has showed me that maybe it is not as bad a problem as I had previously thought.

May 7, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #157 of 264
Got a response from Comply that it is the 400. In the mean time my patience is starting to wear a little thin, five days and no tracking number. I realize they had a holiday but I thought that was just at the start of the week.....guess I've gotten used to Amazon prime☺️

Edit-spoke too soon, got a communication just now. Hopefully be able to do a write up soon:sunglasses: of course most on this thread already know, for future searchers.

May 9, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #159 of 264
Small note to people who may use the EQ-8 with their smartphones; The EQ-8 pairs very well with the new Samsung Galaxy S6 line of phones. I am currently using them on my S6 edge and they sound even better than when driven out of my AK100ii

May 9, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #160 of 264
Small note to people who may use the EQ-8 with their smartphones; The EQ-8 pairs very well with the new Samsung Galaxy S6 line of phones. I am currently using them on my S6 edge and they sound even better than when driven out of my AK100ii

Of course, 'sounds better' is very, very subjective. I hope you enjoy, but advocating one player over another based on subjective impressions is a bit iffy. The e-Q8 is notoriously hard to drive and needs a high-current low-Ω output. If the S6 has it, it may technically sound better, but if not, it's suspect.

May 9, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #161 of 264
Of course, 'sounds better' is very, very subjective. I hope you enjoy, but advocating one player over another based on subjective impressions is a bit iffy. The e-Q8 is notoriously hard to drive and needs a high-current low-Ω output. If the S6 has it, it may technically sound better, but if not, it's suspect.

Of course it is rather subjective,(this entire hobby is shrouded in subjectivity) and I won't say that it is THE player for the EQ-8, but as someone who happened to pick up the S6, I was pleasantly surprised by the pairing, considering my own experience in driving the EQ-8. (YMMV)

Of all the players and amp combos I have tried with my EQ-8s, the S6 beats out most fairly easily, and is currently only bested by the Mezzo AK100 and a Cayin C5+Ak100ii combo. The normally hard to find bass is present and tight on the S6, and the treble is clear, extended but not piercing. Soundstage is not the most impressive and the midrange can get a bit shouty with some male vocals, but for now easy to carry gym set-up or something for a short commute I find the S6 very satisfying.

May 9, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #162 of 264
Again, the word 'bested' is best not used unless you preamble it with benchmarks. Otherwise, it is best to be very clear: I prefer the sound; otherwise, people can be easily mislead. I could LOVE the sound of a player that is not as able as another to output resolution into the same earphone, but that doesn't mean it's better. It means that I prefer it. Just be careful. If there's nothing to back it up (measurements) and only listening impressions, it remains just an interpretive inclination. And again, I'm glad you are enjoying it. I would be very happy if the S6 is as good or better than other hi-end players but that hope doesn't mean anything until we know how well it actually performs apart from mere listening impressions.

May 9, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #163 of 264
Well initial impressions. 

Sound is full without fatigue. They are bigger than i expected but that lead to the big sound.

The iem i am using mostly is the FAD fi-ba-ss which cost more than twice what this does so take that into account with comparisons. The Q8 has a bigger sound and is less fatiguing during longer listening, in fact i have had no fatigue at all. I can turn them up and leave them up for a while without issues. I really enjoy the sound and speed. The fibass seems like it is in a smaller tube that you have to climb into where these are open and accessible sound wise right when you insert them. On the negative side though, the Q8 are not near as detailed and have a way rougher sound, while the fibass is smooth and detailed to the furthest degree. There is a treble peak though on the fi-ba-ss that is sometimes fatiguing and thus my interest in the Q8 as a back up.  The fibass is just a more refined and clean sound presentation once you do climb into the tube. Someone above stated good for rock with the roughness of the Q8 sound and i would wholly agree with that-it was very apparent in a/b with fibass.  Also the fibass has a smaller footprint, and is more comfortable.

Now for my big issue- The cable! I realized after some messing around that it actually isn't technically the whole cable. If i isolate the lower half, below the Y, it is fine. Also the sound level varies with the seal that i have with the tips. Less seal, less microphonics/noise, and less footfall noise-my issue, but also less bass. (Well my current situation is to deal with the footfall noise because i am learning how to deal with it, actually my ears seem to adapt with length of listening time-the tissue seems to grip better, but that is just my stuff). As far the cabling goes, i have ordered some clothing clips from Amazon because when i tucked the upper part in my jacket and secured it the problem was minimized to nil basically. Will report back on that.

Dimitri ended out being extremely proactive and got the earphones to me by Friday morning. What a pleasure, wish all vendors had his commitment! 

May 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #164 of 264
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, very clean and crisp overall but missing some sub bass presence for my taste. I'm using an iPhone 6 though I also have an iPhone 4 stuffed somewhere

May 16, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #165 of 264
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, very clean and crisp overall but missing some sub bass presence for my taste. I'm using an iPhone 6 though I also have an iPhone 4 stuffed somewhere

Try it out with the iPhone 4 as I think that has the lowest OI of all of the iPhones. I don't find bass lacking at all on the EQ-8 FWIW. It improves noticeably with a 1> ohm source. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back