Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
Mar 19, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #122 of 264
The e-q8 has better bandwidth (extension at both ends), slightly fuller note weight and quite frankly the best distortion guitars I think I've heard on an iem. This may be THE iem to own for rock and metal.

This is exactly how I feel at this moment. Yowza. I can't believe how under the radar this phone is. It's absolutely phenomenal for rock and female vocals. There's such energy and vibrancy to its sound, however I can definitely detect  a bit too much edge to its sound. I guess it's a double edged blade in that respect, but damn, it makes for some absolutely scorching leads and soaring vocals 

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #123 of 264

This is exactly how I feel at this moment. Yowza. I can't believe how under the radar this phone is. It's absolutely phenomenal for rock and female vocals. There's such energy and vibrancy to its sound, however I can definitely detect  a bit too much edge to its sound. I guess it's a double edged blade in that respect, but damn, it makes for some absolutely scorching leads and soaring vocals 

Yeah, they sound great, but a layer of alcohol swab suits them well. 
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #124 of 264
I have a pretty good tolerance towards brightness, but yeah, it does push my buttons ever so much from time to time. It straddles that razor's edge I guess. But damn, I'm listening to In Rainbows and it's... downright eerie how these layers just seem to manifest to the left and right of you. The speed is so good that it almost feels like you can reach out and grasp them cause the textures are so sharply defined. The sense of presence to instruments and vocals is some stunning stuff. I'm curious, what are you using to drive the EQ-8 James? shigzeo makes them out to sound as if they're very finicky with sources and whatnot. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #125 of 264
  I'm curious, what are you using to drive the EQ-8 James? shigzeo makes them out to sound as if they're very finicky with sources and whatnot. 

FiiO X3. I usually don't care much about sources, since I feel the differences are minor with most IEMs. But not so with the e-Q8, these have decidedly better body and authority with the X3 than with my smartphone and other DAPs.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #126 of 264
FiiO X3. I usually don't care much about sources, since I feel the differences are minor with most IEMs. But not so with the e-Q8, these have decidedly better body and authority with the X3 than with my smartphone and other DAPs.

Talked to SGS a bit and I just picked up a Leckerton 6S mkII. I just have this nagging feeling that I'm perhaps not hearing this thing at its best due to the 3.2 ohm OI of the iPhone 6. I'd prefer not to have another device attached to my phone, but eh, what're you gonna do

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #128 of 264

The main difference is about bass imo. Hearing it at its best means bass will sound strikingly linear and precise.

Indeed. The iPhone 6 has a very nice output, but it is possible that it isn't at its best driving the e-Q8. The e-Q8 really really is a bugger to properly drive. And again, thanks for waking up the world of HF to this lovely.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #129 of 264
Talked to SGS a bit and I just picked up a Leckerton 6S mkII. I just have this nagging feeling that I'm perhaps not hearing this thing at its best due to the 3.2 ohm OI of the iPhone 6. I'd prefer not to have another device attached to my phone, but eh, what're you gonna do

+

The main difference is about bass imo. Hearing it at its best means bass will sound strikingly linear and precise.

+

Indeed. The iPhone 6 has a very nice output, but it is possible that it isn't at its best driving the e-Q8. The e-Q8 really really is a bugger to properly drive. And again, thanks for waking up the world of HF to this lovely.

How about using an amp like the cayin c5 for an earphone like the ortofon eq-8s? It tends to make earphones sound slightly warmer than usual, while adding more bass quantity and texture to the earphone... I haven't tried it on the eq-5s yet, but in 2 weeks, I'll have a comparative ba/dynamic earphone review using this amp. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #131 of 264
The EQ-8s have just arrived! Will post impressions about the IEM soon, but I wanted to praise Dimitri from Musica acoustics for just a little bit, packaging was top notch and shipping was almost impossibly fast! Can't wait to test out the EQ-8!

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #132 of 264
I bought these a few weeks ago but changed my mind about them while they were held up in customs. I tried selling them brand new on here but nobody was interested so I opened them up and had a listen tonight. Wow!

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #133 of 264
I bought these a few weeks ago but changed my mind about them while they were held up in customs. I tried selling them brand new on here but nobody was interested so I opened them up and had a listen tonight. Wow!

Please listen to them, they are FANTASTIC. I've been using them for a few days now, and they are very impressive. I have herad pretty much every TOTL IEM/CIEM since the SE846, and the EQ-8 is something special entirely. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #134 of 264
They're a perfect contrast to my ACS Encore CIEMs which now sound boosted in the mid bass by comparison. The e-Q8 bass is remarkably flat and convincing. Agree with others that guitars sound amazing. They do have a peak in the upper mids which suits a lot of the music I listen to. Very natural timbre and extremely detailed. A wide and more 3-D soundstage than I'd have thought possible in earphones of this nature. My only criticism so far is they tend to obscure certain male vocals...oh, and they always feel like they're going to fall out of your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back