Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
Jan 23, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #106 of 264
That would the second version, the one rectangular silver one with the same UI as the 240. I wouldn't know how it compares to the original, but it drives most of my gear very well, with no noise at all. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #110 of 264
I have the opportunity to audition the e-q8 at the same time as the heaven VII from FAD. At first blush they are eerily similar but some extended time brings out some obvious differences.

The e-q8 has better bandwidth (extension at both ends), slightly fuller note weight and quite frankly the best distortion guitars I think I've heard on an iem. This may be THE iem to own for rock and metal.

The only area in sound the heaven VII beats the e-q8 is with that FAD magical reverb. Pianos are fantastic on the heaven and more lifelike due to reverb imo. The keys' notes linger so beautifully and tastefully.

If I mostly listened to pianists, I'd have to look hard at the FAD line up. But I'm a rock-n-roll kind of guy and the e-q8 is excellent in guitar tone, timbre, grit and bite.

The heaven VII also wins in build. While the shells and strain reliefs of the ortofon look robust, as well as very comfortable for over the ear wear, the aesthetics of the stainless steel heaven VII is pretty stunning to look at and are certainly more robust, heavier, if slightly less comfortable. The biggest advantage the FAD has in build is with cable design choices. I'm not a fan of flat cables at all but the heaven VII cable makes me rethink that stance. It's super supple and manageable. I really like it. The e-q8 cable is much thinner and of more dubious quality, although fine by all appearances, however it is clearly a step back considering somewhat similar overall pricing between the two models.

Those quibbles aside, the e-q8 is definitley a winner in my book.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #111 of 264
... quite frankly the best distortion guitars I think I've heard on an iem. This may be THE iem to own for rock and metal.

One funny thought that struck me though, these are easily more "Grado" sounding than the GR10. 
smile_phones.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #113 of 264
sorry for asking, I learn from this thread that MusicAcoustics is legit, but it is based in Japan, so it means I have to pay customs if I buy product from them right, to those of you who bought from MusicAcoustics, how much did you pay for customs? I am thinking buying e-Q8 and earsonics velvet crystal ?

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #114 of 264
Hmm, I'll try my GR10 out on a friend's MZAK100, but I'm surprised to hear that the new iPod nano is that good! Would you know how the EQ-8 works on AK players? I'm currently using the AK100ii, (mainly for UI reasons and ease of use) and I find the GR10s to be very resolving, but lacking a little in it's sub-bass extension. I may be used to the Dita IEM's sub-bass extension, but I can definitely tell it's missing a little something.

Probably what the GR10e is about. I suspect the new series from both makers are more consistent as well. Interested to hear what the venting on the GR10e does. Other than the high output impedance of the original AK100, everything since that or an output modded original should be fine for any of the MAs.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #115 of 264
I wouldn't recommend the AK players for the e-q8. The e-q8's really low impedance of 7 in the bass will cause a leaner more analytical sound with increased OI. Tyll measured the AK240 single ended at around 3.3 ohms, versus manufacturer rating of 2 ohms, and to my ears this rings true. My AK240 has the least bass with the e-q8 of all my sources and sounds more analytical. My iPhone 5S, with approximately 2.3 ohm OI, has better bass reaponse and sounds great. The Tera-player with the less than 1 ohm Picollo sounds best though. Truly fantastic sound.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #117 of 264
I wouldn't recommend the AK players for the e-q8. The e-q8's really low impedance of 7 in the bass will cause a leaner more analytical sound with increased OI. Tyll measured the AK240 single ended at around 3.3 ohms, versus manufacturer rating of 2 ohms, and to my ears this rings true. My AK240 has the least bass with the e-q8 of all my sources and sounds more analytical. My iPhone 5S, with approximately 2.3 ohm OI, has better bass reaponse and sounds great. The Tera-player with the less than 1 ohm Picollo sounds best though. Truly fantastic sound.

Bingo.
  Makes sense. Didn't know it dropped that much. Always baffles me why IEM makers don't adjust for that. 

Or why multi-thousand dollar players can't simply have proper outputs from the start. I also think that earphones are too hard to drive, but they exist and have been like that for decades. Self-respecting audiophile companies shouldn't let out of their gates something with such high ohm output unless they specifically market their device for high-ohm headphones with provisos governing the use of low-impedance high-current earphones and headphones. 

The AK240, a 'hi-end' portable player, is flawed in its delivery, not to mention, a product that will suffer digital rot, in that in a year or two it will be totally outclassed, rendering its expensive innards a basic heap. If it can't (and it can't) play the e-Q8 properly, it isn't fit to be called a hi-end PORTABLE player.

That said, the e-Q8 is a pretty hard to drive earphone. It doesn't sound right when driven by anything that doesn't have a very low impedance output and the necessary current to back it up.

EDIT: thanks James444, I clarified the last sentence re: low impedance output.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #119 of 264

Bingo.
Or why multi-thousand dollar players can't simply have proper outputs from the start. I also think that earphones are too hard to drive, but they exist and have been like that for decades. Self-respecting audiophile companies shouldn't let out of their gates something with such high ohm output unless they specifically market their device for high-ohm headphones with provisos governing the use of low-impedance high-current earphones and headphones. 

The AK240, a 'hi-end' portable player, is flawed in its delivery, not to mention, a product that will suffer digital rot, in that in a year or two it will be totally outclassed, rendering its expensive innards a basic heap. If it can't (and it can't) play the e-Q8 properly, it isn't fit to be called a hi-end PORTABLE player.

That said, the e-Q8 is a pretty hard to drive earphone. It doesn't sound right when driven by anything with a very low impedance output and the necessary current to back it up.

AK240 may be considered overpriced by some/many but it's always relative and it still sounds great to me. 
smile.gif
 I don't own it and likely never will any $2k DAP. The AKs can't be that bad if they're the modded device of choice by so many tweekers. I have a slightly different view on acceptable output impedance but I get what you're saying. I just think 3 ohms is acceptable as is using coupling caps as some other amps may. Those also start to roll at lower impedances as the best caps at high enough values get too large to use in a portable. Coupling caps are over criticised in general from poor selection and use. There comes a point where it's easier to just make a driver a higher impedance without losing performance. Why risk getting a less than stellar result with so many devices with 2+ ohm output impedances out there. Most folks buying $400 earphones aren't using 'Hi-End' DAPs. Just my personal opinion. At least the EQ8 is not reactive and fairly linear impedance from 20 to 200hz so mid and low bass shouldn't deviate from each other though may lose a couple db to the other ranges in a smooth gently changing fashion. More of a very slightly tilted response than a varying one.

In any case, I digress. Back to the phones which seem quite good. I wouldn't hesitate to use them with AK if I liked the sound.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #120 of 264
  AK240 may be considered overpriced by some/many but it's always relative and it still sounds great to me. 
smile.gif
 I don't own it and likely never will any $2k DAP. The AKs can't be that bad if they're the modded device of choice by so many tweekers. I have a slightly different view on acceptable output impedance but I get what you're saying. I just think 3 ohms is acceptable as is using coupling caps as some other amps may. Those also start to roll at lower impedances as the best caps at high enough values get too large to use in a portable. Coupling caps are over criticised in general from poor selection and use. There comes a point where it's easier to just make a driver a higher impedance without losing performance. Why risk getting a less than stellar result with so many devices with 2+ ohm output impedances out there. Most folks buying $400 earphones aren't using 'Hi-End' DAPs. Just my personal opinion. At least the EQ8 is not reactive and fairly linear impedance from 20 to 200hz so mid and low bass shouldn't deviate from each other though may lose a couple db to the other ranges in a smooth gently changing fashion. More of a very slightly tilted response than a varying one.

In any case, I digress. Back to the phones which seem quite good. I wouldn't hesitate to use them with AK if I liked the sound.
ksc75smile.gif

I agree re: impedance problems of a lot of earphones. But you said it: people that buy 400$ earphones probably aren't using hi-end players. The truth is that many low-priced DAPs actually perform BETTER than hi-end DAPs. Which makes no sense at all considering these hi-end players are marketed as high-performance devices. Luxury-only marketing I would understand and fully understand, and am even attracted to it, but bad marketing copy that both misleads, and contradicts its own hardware, is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back