Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
Oct 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #77 of 264
For those having issues, I'd really try running them in at a very high (within reason but louder that would be comfortable) volume for a while. I found that the MAs I've tried benefitted a lot from run in. May not help but won't hurt before they get returned. I can speculate that because the driver doesn't have a rolled surround, it may take some effort to loosen it up. Of course, the bass issue could be something else entirely different, like the suspended plate delaminating from the diaphragm substrate or simply a rattle.

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #78 of 264
^ Actually, that's how I killed my first pair for good. At first I heard distortion only in one driver and only at high volume. After "running them in" at high volume for 24 hours, distortion had become much worse and both drivers were affected.

My replacement e-Q8 exhibit only slight distortion on one side so far, and only at volume levels I don't usually listen at. Even though Dimitri was extremely helpful as always, I'm not that keen on another round of RMA, so I try not to push them too hard.

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #79 of 264
James and I went back and forth: I've tested both my pair and another plus one at a headphone show and didn't find distortion, but then I listened to what James reckons isn't loud enough volumes. The headphone event was louder by far than usually I listen, but still maybe not enough. I think you really have to push these. Shame if they do distort, but I'd not in a hundred years wish my ears to endure the volume levels possibly necessary to induce the distortion.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #80 of 264
At the end of the day, which one sounds better for Classical and Electronic (mainly trance) music? The e-Q8 or the e-Q5?
I can only get one but Classical is priority #1.

Also, which not (too) expensive amp would you recommend? Since I don't mind a bit of hiss, I was thinking about getting the MHd-Q7. But if the hiss is too much I'll probably just get something like the O2. What would be better for the e-Q5 / e-Q8?

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #81 of 264
I would say eq-8 and O2 is a much better option but it can struggle on complex classical recording. If you can wait I will spend the weekend with the setup above and let you know.

I really like my mhd q7 but the hissing is too much for those quiet passages.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #82 of 264
Potential distortion issue aside, I'll say the e-Q8 are the best Ortofon IEMs so far, and I prefer them over the e-Q5 and e-Q7. Just bear in mind that their sound signature is more forward in the upper mids / lower treble than their predecessor's, to a point where they may sound a bit shouty or overly aggressive with some stuff.

That said, while I love them with trance, for classical I'd choose Final Audio's BAs and several dynamic driver based IEMs (e.g. JVC, KEF, ...) over them.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #85 of 264
I can't find these E-Q8's on either ortofon.jp or ortofon.us.  Are they discontinued already?  I do see a set up for sale on eBay for $420

I'm only curious about these because I just bought a set of e-Q5s NIB for $150 shipped.  

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #86 of 264
  I can't find these E-Q8's on either ortofon.jp or ortofon.us.  Are they discontinued already?  I do see a set up for sale on eBay for $420

I'm only curious about these because I just bought a set of e-Q5s NIB for $150 shipped.  

Dimitri is selling it much cheaper. 
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/#!product/prd1/2239121371/ortofon-e-q8

As far as product information goes it is really hard to find any official link since orotfon has two different branches. The IEM branch is located in Japan and the analog production line is Denmark. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #87 of 264
I've made small unboxing video, as e-Q8 is really, really interesting. As usual, sorry for my English...
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UbK6J_TjLk[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back