Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
May 17, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #166 of 264
Try it out with the iPhone 4 as I think that has the lowest OI of all of the iPhones. I don't find bass lacking at all on the EQ-8 FWIW. It improves noticeably with a 1> ohm source. 

I'll give it a shot.

Hmm, slight texture/dB difference. Not worth switching devices. Purty dam good as is but still prefer the GR07 BE characteristics for a phone that leans neutral, also good speed, textured, more aggressive, great balance. I would say the E-Q8 is a better ER4S for my taste. It's fast but the decay?/speed seems more natural on the low end, vocals don't sound as aggresive yet still push that good sensation of clarity while not overwhelming the highs. It seems I'm the only one that thought the Ety's sounded a bit muffled up top tho lol.

May 17, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #168 of 264
I did say better for my taste so that aside, "nowhere as good" sounds like a stretch to me between these two. We all have different scales from low to high but after going to a meet and also visiting places like JH Audio, plus having gear sent to me, I find the degree of gain from something like this going up, or say GR07BE's, isn't that large to me.

There are certain aspects to sound that really stand out between phones(EX1000 vocals) but for the sound package overall, it's purty dam good at this lvl*. I actually ended up liking the fit of the Ety's to my surprise and stuck them in reeeeal deep. KC06's where another surprise I found got up there with the best I've heard when talking about vocal presentation. On the other hand of what I consider similar sound, GR06's sounded cloudy and muddy in comparisons.

What you say of the E-Q8 vs ER4S I would say of the GR06 vs KC06...

*I'm not saying you claim the E-Q8 isn't good sound but for those reading that might conclude this from your post, I find it's dam good sound.

May 17, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #169 of 264
I did say better for my taste so that aside, "nowhere as good" sounds like a stretch to me between these two. We all have different scales from low to high but after going to a meet and also visiting places like JH Audio, plus having gear sent to me, I find the degree of gain from something like this going up, or say GR07BE's, isn't that large to me.

There are certain aspects to sound that really stand out between phones(EX1000 vocals) but for the sound package overall, it's purty dam good at this lvl*. I actually ended up liking the fit of the Ety's to my surprise and stuck them in reeeeal deep. KC06's where another surprise I found got up there with the best I've heard when talking about vocal presentation. On the other hand of what I consider similar sound, GR06's sounded cloudy and muddy in comparisons.

*I'm not saying you claim the E-Q8 isn't good sound but for those reading that might conclude this from your post, I find it's dam good sound.

I agree, 100%. 

After being here for as long as I have, and experiencing all that I have, I've found that I simply can't relate to the majority of HFiers who always state things in bizarre absolutes, such as "destroys," "miles beyond," "nowhere near" etc. etc. I've never, ever found this to be the case, ever, no matter how much money is involved so long as there's a decent baseline for comparison. I find these descriptors to be  misleading at best, and with that said, I'll throw down the gauntlet by stating that I think, the EQ-8 is a stellar, superb performer, and one that I feel can easily trade punches even with something overly over engineered such as JH's Angie. Is the latter a better phone, hell, is it one of the best phones I've heard to date? Yes, it is. Is it miles beyond, and the EQ-8 just simply nowhere close? Not for a second, in this, or any other reality. 

May 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #170 of 264

I agree, 100%. 

After being here for as long as I have, and experiencing all that I have, I've found that I simply can't relate to the majority of HFiers who always state things in bizarre absolutes, such as "destroys," "miles beyond," "nowhere near" etc. etc. I've never, ever found this to be the case, ever, no matter how much money is involved so long as there's a decent baseline for comparison. I find these descriptors to be  misleading at best, and with that said, I'll throw down the gauntlet by stating that I think, the EQ-8 is a stellar, superb performer, and one that I feel can easily trade punches even with something overly over engineered such as JH's Angie. Is the latter a better phone, hell, is it one of the best phones I've heard to date? Yes, it is. Is it miles beyond, and the EQ-8 just simply nowhere close? Not for a second, in this, or any other reality. 

One interesting thing that I've noticed is that the frequency response of "most" earphones is roughly the same amount of "accurate" in a technical sense. But each one is simply approached from a different perspective.

For instance, the er4s is touted as super reference by many. It has at least a 6db drop in overall "sub" bass levels, and a few pretty small dips and peaks in the treble compared to most. But the "average" difference from a relatively flat signature is let's say at least 10 db or more of overall "correction" that is needed.

Then take something like the MH1. With stock configuration, it needs about 8db cut in overall bass and very little treble adjustment here and there. Again, "roughly" 10db of correction needed. 

Then something different again like the westone 4r. People say it is warmer or softer than something like the er4s. However, to get the 4r to be more neutral takes a boost in the upper mids/lower treble at about 10db overall increase when the various points are added together.

This isn't a hard fact or anything, but it's interesting in two ways. First, it seems that getting a neutral response, or any response for that matter, involves working with a pretty consistent amount of acoustic "room" to flex. And second, that "most" earphones, whether someone says that are drastically or amazingly different are actually probably within a few db here and there of another earphone they claim it "blows" away".

There are some nice advances, and things seem to be improving with the technology like the bass drivers in the shure 846 and such, but only slightly. And the cost to performance ratio is not always so clear. The ZA tenore is still one of the best, most neutral earphones i've ever heard at $50. So they seemed to get past most of that 10db "room" most earphone seem to be flexing this way or that. But there are properties of the tenore that aren't as good as well. So it almost balances out in another way.

Just blabbing out loud here, but it's interesting to think of at least. Usually, if something is greatly bassier or way outside of that general range, it suffers from distortion or other detrimental audio artifacts...

May 20, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #171 of 264
Musica Acoustics, where I bought both my E-Q8 and E-Q5 and highly recommend, is going to loan me an Ortofon Mhd-Q7 portable amp to test with. Assuming I don't purchase that loaner, hit me up in PM if you'd be interested in auditioning the amp with your E-Q8's or other Ortofons. Also a good chance we can get a loaner E-Q8 if anyone is interested in an audition- just shoot me a PM if interested.

Having owned the E-Q8 a while now and just having received the E-Q5, I'm suprised that Ortofon IEMs are not more popular on Head-Fi. They are excellent alternatives to Ety deep fit iems for those looking for a more neutral presentation. I'm very impressed with Ortofon's neutral leaning tuning choices. Clarity is superb with very good resolution, all while remaining composed and easy to listen too. Build seems well done and aesthetics are very pleasing as well. I've always had a soft spot for well done single armatures and Ortofon is one of the best I've come across.

May 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #172 of 264
Musica Acoustics, where I bought both my E-Q8 and E-Q5 and highly recommend, 

+1
I bought the e-q8 from them a couple of days ago - great customer support!
Also own the e-q5. 
wink.gif

May 20, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #173 of 264
@shotgunshane: Looking forward to your impression on Mhd-q7. I like that little beast, it has a similar tuning to the wagnus.

However I am not too sure if it is the best amp for e-Q8.

May 20, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #175 of 264
Why? Are there Impedance issues?
impedance is really low, it just has an audible hiss which will fade in the background once the music kicks in.

Honestly who cares as this amp has a very nice tuning and I really like the darn thing. Just talking about it makes me want wish I was home right now yo try it.

May 21, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #176 of 264
@shotgunshane: Looking forward to your impression on Mhd-q7. I like that little beast, it has a similar tuning to the wagnus.

However I am not too sure if it is the best amp for e-Q8.

It's not the best, that's for sure. Noise, higher Ω output than the e-Q8 needs, and terrible portable ergonomics. It's cool that ortofon made an amp, but it's not a good one.

May 21, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #177 of 264
If the Mhd-q7 is not the best for the e-q8 then which amp will be the best?
I tried them on my oppo ha-2 and I did like what I heard but I do understand that the amp section of the HA-2 is not the best  for them due to a quite high Ω output.

May 21, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #178 of 264
It's not the best, that's for sure. Noise, higher Ω output than the e-Q8 needs, and terrible portable ergonomics. It's cool that ortofon made an amp, but it's not a good one.
if one can get over the hissing it is not a poorly tuned amp.

I am going home in an hour and will play around with kaede II and e-Q8 and report back.

May 22, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #180 of 264
Still dam impressed with these guys. Not a big fan of the white but a minor annoyance. Works very well with all my music. The more I listen the more I think I'd take them over my GR07 BE. A while back I said I'd have a hard time for my more neutral phone when I heard EX-1000's but the overall sound package of these are growing on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back