Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
May 13, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #481 of 760
Incidentally, here is the frequency response graph for the TF10, and =1303]here's the graph for the Grado GR8, which was determined by another party to have the exact same frequency graph as the e-Q7.  (I'm thinking it may make more sense here to compare only the graphs created by Headphone.com.  Maybe this is bonkers?)  The GR8/e-Q7 drivers* seem to have more bass than the TF10 at all or nearly all points.

*I'm aware there's some disagreement (based on what, for either party, I don't know) over whether they have only the same kind of drivers, or literally the very same drivers, but if it's been shown that they have identical frequency charts, surely we lean toward thinking the latter?

May 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #483 of 760
Unless I'm having trouble comparing the two graphs (entirely possible), the TF10 would still seem to have quite a climb before it matches, it it ever quite does, the e-Q7's bass.

May 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #485 of 760

Quote:
Incidentally, here is the frequency response graph for the TF10, and =1303]here's the graph for the Grado GR8, which was determined by another party to have the exact same frequency graph as the e-Q7.  (I'm thinking it may make more sense here to compare only the graphs created by Headphone.com.  Maybe this is bonkers?)  The GR8/e-Q7 drivers* seem to have more bass than the TF10 at all or nearly all points.

*I'm aware there's some disagreement (based on what, for either party, I don't know) over whether they have only the same kind of drivers, or literally the very same drivers, but if it's been shown that they have identical frequency charts, surely we lean toward thinking the latter?

I believe Clieos found it was the same company making the same driver for both GR8 and e-Q7.  No matter what any chart says, my ears say TF10 has much more bass, extends deeper and is fuller sounding than GR8. 

May 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #486 of 760
Charts don't tell the entire story but the TF10 definitely had too much bass along with some other things I didn't like about it that made them not suitable as my main or even backup #1 phones. The e-Q7 is more suitable for me as is the CK10 which is why I haven't sold either and never plan to do so which is quite something since I did go through a period earlier in the year when I just went through a lot of phones in a couple months.

May 14, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #487 of 760
May 14, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #489 of 760

Quote:
So we ignore a graph when three people with a lot of posts have been proven wrong by it?

Just asking!

How have we been proved wrong?  The proof is in the pudding.  The GR8 has body to the bass but lacks weight/visiceral punch relative to TFP10.  It's pretty obvious just by putting both in your ears.

May 14, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #490 of 760
I haven't discussed the GR8 except insofar as I've used its graph, identical to that of the e-Q7; and you weren't one of the three people I was referring to.

Talk about pudding and what is "obvious" is meaningless.

May 14, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #491 of 760
no i think the charts do tell everything if one reads them properly.  human hearing is mid centric.  the bass on the tf10in relation to the mids is really big so it has big bass.  those charts all use 1k as a base line but as you can see the tf10 drops off quikly after that.  the gr8 does not to the same extent.

so id agree the tf10 has more bass than the eq7 but about depth, erm no the eq7 and 530 have far far better depth than the tf10. however im not saying your wrong either, i believe this is probably because human hearing isnt perfct and at some point our hearing trails off in the lows just like it does in the highs.  most humans cant hear 20k can they.  does your hearing not gradually fade as a note gets higher?  the exact same thing happens at the other end.

May 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #492 of 760
Well I wasn't saying that charts aren't useful but for me I see them more as a guide to how something could sound but not the final say in it. Every chart I have seen extends past what I am able to hear however so it doesn't tell me everything in that sense.

May 22, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #493 of 760
Well.....love the debate.  I strongly feel that while the TF10 is a nice iem. The midbass hump is not as bad as many others. Having a ton of bass driven music, with very low notes. The EQ7 shows off it's bass depth over the TF10 clearly despite the lack of any hump, and despite the GR8 and eq7 having similar drivers, every single person That has heard or owns both (that I know) gives the nod to the eq7 in bass depth. It still remains a special iem IMO.

Until I can find an iem to top it, it stays my favorite iem. I have purchased a few since the eq7, and await, the SM3 and Radius DDM.  A very good headfi friend that owns both the eq7 and GR8 offered to send me the GR8, but his strong opinion was the GR8 does not compare, and is more midcentric than the eq7.

Mark is mostly correct on the FR graphs, but some things are not able to reflect on a graph, but his remarks concerning how the human ear hears is spot on.

I still consider the eq7 to sound like an SE530 with better treble extension, a tad more bass depth, and slighly smoother. The SE530 was after all, very special to me, even when it was still the E500

I hope rawrster is enjoying his eq7 almost as much as I am mine. (I know you love the CK10 bro)

May 22, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #494 of 760

Quote:
 to my ears ,the tf10 deffently has more bass impact and explosiveness than the eq7

More impact? no doubt......bass depth...not IMO...then again, those SE420's have ruined your ears : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back