Oritek vs Zap Filter modded Zhaolu 2.5 shoot out
Jun 18, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #91 of 100
From what I've read, I believe the stock zhaolu digital rca cable is far too short. Yes, that 's right, it should be at least 1m and preferably 2m. The reasoning is that if the spdif driver at the transport end isn't good/fast enough, the signal will bounce back and forth along the cable and degrade the signal when it is changing states and this supposedly increases jitter.

And of course one should use proper 75ohm coaxial cable and 75ohm and preferably bnc connectors...

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #92 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, I believe the stock zhaolu digital rca cable is far too short. Yes, that 's right, it should be at least 1m and preferably 2m. The reasoning is that if the spdif driver at the transport end isn't good/fast enough, the signal will bounce back and forth along the cable and degrade the signal when it is changing states and this supposedly increases jitter.

THAT IS A FALLACY!
If the transmission line is the correct impedance and the terminations are the same, then there will not be any reflections along the transmission line of any arbitrary length. Lengths of 1 or 2 meters do not seem to account for any RF matching technique for wavelengths of spdif data.
The other important factor for a good digital interconnect is noise rejection. Some are heavily shielded, other use a twisted-pair or other RF techniques to reject noise reception and/or radiation along the line. From this perspective, the shorter - the better!

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #93 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THAT IS A FALLACY!
If the transmission line is the correct impedance and the terminations are the same, then there will not be any reflections along the transmission line of any arbitrary length. Lengths of 1 or 2 meters do not seem to account for any RF matching technique for wavelengths of spdif data.
The other important factor for a good digital interconnect is noise rejection. Some are heavily shielded, other use a twisted-pair or other RF techniques to reject noise reception and/or radiation along the line. From this perspective, the shorter - the better!

Ok then. Sorry if I've mislead someone. I'm not quite sure where I read that, but it might have been at www.diyhifi.org. I'll see if I can find that thread... edit: here it is http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewto...p=23562#p23562

Jun 19, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #94 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok then. Sorry if I've mislead someone. I'm not quite sure where I read that, but it might have been at www.diyhifi.org. I'll see if I can find that thread... edit: here it is http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewto...p=23562#p23562

This point has been around for years and years and supported by many many people. I myself have no technical knowledge like Ori does to refute it. Who knows.

Jun 19, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #96 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know, but I think Oritek needs me to make them a new site. That thing is almost embarrassing.

No offense to Ori, but I agree with this. The website definitely could use a professional touch as right now it looks ridiculously elementary and novice in design.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #98 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I missing something or did the comparison with speakers not happen yet?

when i come back from vacation it's on! i'm also bringing the CS4398 chip to make things interesting.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #99 of 100
Someone needs to trade him a less 1989 website for a dac methinks. I am in on the next build lot he's doing btw. Black faceplate!! Should be a nice mating with my Stax.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #100 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone needs to trade him a less 1989 website for a dac methinks. I am in on the next build lot he's doing btw. Black faceplate!! Should be a nice mating with my Stax.

hehe yeah, the website does him no justice...

yeah... black face plate looks nice, mine arrived yesterday, haven't installed it yet

looks like Ori dropped the NOS designation and just went with "OMZ"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back