Oritek vs Zap Filter modded Zhaolu 2.5 shoot out
May 25, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #77 of 100
Yeah, it sure is a looker now. Nice work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #80 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockturne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bright is the OMZ? Would it be too bright for a pair of W5000s?

i don't know, depends on your ears and your setup, and personally haven't heard the W5000

but with my stax lambda pro system there's no problem, so smooth and refined

with my DT880s which can be grating even on warmer systems it's bearable but through tubes

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #81 of 100
1st of all, thanks for posting the subjective results of the shootout.

A couple things I wasn't clear on are, is the Ori modded unit the latest revision? In doing research in this forum, it seems that the original versions of Ori's board were a little light on bass and that has been corrected in the latest revision. Is that correct?

Also, was there any listening with a speaker system or was it only through headphones? If speakers were used, what speakers were they?

Thanks again for the post. It helps the rest of us make informed decisions.

Jim

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #82 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jholtz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple things I wasn't clear on are, is the Ori modded unit the latest revision? In doing research in this forum, it seems that the original versions of Ori's board were a little light on bass and that has been corrected in the latest revision.

Just a quick comment on this issue. The majority of the first version came back for an update. There might be 3 or 4 units that still contain the first version of the discrete output circuit, because the owners felt they are "good enough".

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #83 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick comment on this issue. The majority of the first version came back for an update. There might be 3 or 4 units that still contain the first version of the discrete output circuit, because the owners felt they are "good enough".

Thanks Ori. I can safely assume this was a current version that was being compared.

Now, speakers or headphones? I'm a hardcore speaker guy. DIY speakers actually, and have read many comments on this forum that speakers show much greater differences in source components. I'm looking forward to feedback on the differences of the Oritek modded Zhaolu vs. the Zapfilter Zhaolu in a high resolution speaker system.

Thanks!

Jim

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #84 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jholtz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st of all, thanks for posting the subjective results of the shootout.

A couple things I wasn't clear on are, is the Ori modded unit the latest revision? In doing research in this forum, it seems that the original versions of Ori's board were a little light on bass and that has been corrected in the latest revision. Is that correct?

Also, was there any listening with a speaker system or was it only through headphones? If speakers were used, what speakers were they?

Thanks again for the post. It helps the rest of us make informed decisions.

Jim

Jim,

Philip and I are going to try and get together this week and complete part 2 of the comparison with speakers. All details on equipment and such will be posted with that thread.

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #85 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jim,

Philip and I are going to try and get together this week and complete part 2 of the comparison with speakers. All details on equipment and such will be posted with that thread.

Cool! Thanks for the prompt response. I'm really looking forward to hearing the subjective results of the comparison. Will there be others besides you and Phillip that will also be listening and offering opinions?

Thanks!

Jim

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #90 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The coaxial cable that comes with the oritek is any good?

nope, it's actually the one that is included with the stock Zhaolu

Ori makes good cables though, just ask him about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back