Oritek vs Zap Filter modded Zhaolu 2.5 shoot out
May 23, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #64 of 100
borderline show-off, nevertheless incredible collection. <There is a thread for photos like these u know>

May 24, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #67 of 100
no pictures of OMZ? I will add some later....

OMZ_01.jpg

May 25, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #68 of 100
Well if the signal input into the Zapfilter is too hot then perhaps resistors can be added in between to bring the signal down a bit.

If I remember correctly the first few done after the original Zapfilter Zhaolu tapped the signal after a 3k resistor, but then after that a lot have been done with just the straight output from the DAC chip, including all the Zhaolu 2.5 DACs...am I right? Can someone confirm?

May 25, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #69 of 100
the louder the better IMHO. great for long cable runs for professional use. an amp is not required for headphones so the voltage swing is very high already. all it needs is an output buffer. so you can save money by getting a discrete buffer instead of an amp.

May 25, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #70 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if the signal input into the Zapfilter is too hot then perhaps resistors can be added in between to bring the signal down a bit.

If I remember correctly the first few done after the original Zapfilter Zhaolu tapped the signal after a 3k resistor, but then after that a lot have been done with just the straight output from the DAC chip, including all the Zhaolu 2.5 DACs...am I right? Can someone confirm?

did they turn out to be bunnies?

May 25, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #71 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the zapfilter is the gain. Ori is able to set the gain to the DAC so that it gives proper RMS output. The Zapfilter has no gain adjustment so depending on the voltage out of your DAC you can endup with too high of a voltage-out as the OP experienced. He is probably overloading his amp giving the compressed sound stage.

I ruled out the Zapfilter when they couldn't even tell me the RMS out with it hooked to my DAC. Ori is really the only replacement analog stage for voltage output DAC's like the Zhalou I would use.

When you want to go higher end get a current output DAC and look at Borbely or Welborne labs I/V stages.

Well I'm just pointing out that there may be two 'versions' of the Zapfilter Zhaolu out there, the ones with the 3k resistor in the line-out signal path and the ones without. I modded mine according to looser101's original instructions (with the 3k resistors), and I have to say I get great soundstage out of my Zhaolu.

It'd be interesting to see a comparison between two of these different Zhaolus, to see if the Zapfilter really is ramping the signal up so much that the soundstage is compressed.

May 25, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #72 of 100
i don't see what the output level has to do with the soundstaging. an easy way to get expanded soundstage is to use -3dB at 5kHz on your EQ. personally i think it's just the greater treble emphasis and dynamics that leads to the smaller lateral soundstage. it's still pretty good, though.

May 25, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #75 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any music in particular you want us to try?

sugar candy pop, death metal and everything in between.

though i'd like to hear what the impressions are with classical music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back