Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #647 of 8,052
There is absolutely nothing extraordinary about Traillii FR. I measured it last year back when I reviewed Traillii, but personally don't want it to go public because we all have different portable setups, with different couplers, different calibration, different compensation curves, etc. When you are comparing measurements, you want them to be from the same setup for consistency. Thus, I prefer to see Crin's measurement to be made public. But even if you see the measurement, there is nothing "magical" about it. I'm sure you can probably find other IEMs with nearly identical FR, and obviously sounding nothing like Traillii.

So it's meaningless when someone posts a graph to basically say it represents such and such iem as it's only giving someone a basic idea of it's characteristics. I guess the materials used have much to do with how something sounds if a 'cheap' iem has a similar FR to a much more expensive one?

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #648 of 8,052
So it's meaningless when someone posts a graph to basically say it represents such and such iem as it's only giving someone a basic idea of it's characteristics. I guess the materials used have much to do with how something sounds if a 'cheap' iem has a similar FR to a much more expensive one?
The way I view it is that looking at a FR rarely gives you an idea of what it will sound like - maybe certain aspects, but will be very hit and miss. Rather, it is perhaps more useful to look at a graph after having listened to an IEM, to potentially shed some light on certain aspects of the sound one is hearing.

While in theory it should work both ways, this is rarely the case in practice. I've found that I often listen to an IEM, and then look at a graph, and have a couple of aha moments.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #649 of 8,052

IMHO, FR graph is the basic measurement. No right or wrong because everyone have their own preference.
However, they do have some 'best practice' kind of graph which agree by almost everyone. Eg: Harman curves.
I think we can actually predict the sound signature of the iem by looking at the FR graph alone.
However, sound signature is just a a reference or consideration only.
Same as DAP, DAC chip is just a reference or a consideration only.

We can't see the sound clarity, sound separation, sound depth, warm or cool, etc via FR graph alone....I guess.....

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #651 of 8,052
The way I view is that looking at a FR rarely gives you an idea of what it will sound like - maybe certain aspects, but will be very hit and miss. Rather, it is perhaps more useful to look at a graph after having listened to an IEM, to perhaps help explain certain aspects of the sound one is hearing.

While in theory it should work both ways, this is rarely the case in practice. I've found that I can often listen to an IEM, and then look at a graph, and have a couple of aha moments.

In general, FR measurements show you response to test tones in a sweep through a frequency range to capture relative loudness at each frequency from one point to the other, not the actual music you are listening to. Furthermore, with an exception of a few expensive test measurement rigs, like the one used by Head-fi where they have a setup with a physical human ear modeling, most of the measurements are done with a coupler/mic positioned close and directly across the nozzle of iem. Your earcanal has a unique shape/path where the sound bounces off until it reaches the eardrum, thus earcanal itself acts like a sound filter. Way too many variables here. But for sure, FR measurements can give you a good idea of expected sound signature and they are helpful in a relative comparison to other iems as long as you are comparing measurements taken in the same setup.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #653 of 8,052
No, custom IEM’s. I think Oriolus will do a custom if asked. I think someone mentioned that. As they seal in the area around the ear canal, the size of the stem might not have to be changed.
Sadly they just stopped accepting the order of custom Traillii. They can still do custom face-plate design.

Attachments

• FC4F7763-D407-446F-9B39-B38C8B7BCB75.png
    FC4F7763-D407-446F-9B39-B38C8B7BCB75.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #655 of 8,052
“This is a merry world,
Truly a jolly world"—
So sings the Traillii.

He is a winged flame,
He bears a lighted breast,
Sunshine incarnated.

Poem from Amos Russel Wells,
replaced Oriole with Traillii.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #657 of 8,052
My bird is a female.
Good point, did not want to alter the poets work too much.

Closest I could find was this, I think Traillii is in this family of birds.

Flycatcher songs are often the key to their identity and this one sings a hoarse fitz-bew from high perches in their territory. ... Males domost of the singing, but females also sing on occasion, though their songs tend to be quieter.

Maybe we have a bird watcher in our group that knows better?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #658 of 8,052
Good point, did not want to alter the poets work too much.

Closet I could find was this, I think Traillii is in this family of birds.

Flycatcher songs are often the key to their identity and this one sings a hoarse fitz-bew from high perches in their territory. ... Males domost of the singing, but females also sing on occasion, though their songs tend to be quieter.

Maybe we have a bird watcher in our group that knows better?
Bird watcher on head fi = lurkers on this thread :beyersmile:

That means you too @bluestorm1992 !

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #659 of 8,052
Apr 1, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #660 of 8,052
Listening to Flight Over Rio right now.
This can sound muddy, on Traillii instrument separation is perfect. Everything is in its own space. All musicians competing bombastically at times.

song is on Al Di Meola album Elegant Gypsy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back