Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Apr 1, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #662 of 8,052
We need another CanJam ASAP so I can hear these.

That won't happen until next year (CanJam NYC, that is). Your best bet is to take a road trip from Boston to North NJ to visit Andrew/Musicteck. Just like CanJam NYC '20 where he had 5-6 tables at the show with everything he is selling in the store, you can have a similar experience in private :wink:

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #663 of 8,052
That won't happen until next year (CanJam NYC, that is). Your best bet is to take a road trip from Boston to North NJ to visit Andrew/Musicteck. Just like CanJam NYC '20 where he had 5-6 tables at the show with everything he is selling in the store, you can have a similar experience in private :wink:

I wasn't aware they had an actual showroom. Thanks for the heads up.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #665 of 8,052
I wasn't aware they had an actual showroom. Thanks for the heads up.
They don’t.

Andrew runs the business out of his house.

When I demoed the bird, I met Andrew at his place and listened in the back of his car in the driveway...Covid...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #666 of 8,052
They don’t.

Andrew runs the business out of his house.

When I demoed the bird, I met Andrew at his place and listened in the back of his car in the driveway...Covid...
Me to, except my car not his.
It is really something that he will do this, for me usually on a Saturday or Sunday.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #668 of 8,052
Hey guys, sharing the Traillii mini-review part of my upcoming shootout. Figured it can help some folks on the fence about getting one or not. The actual future shootout will have the comparisons against Rhapsodio Supreme Mk2, Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2, and Vision Ears Erlkönig.

Oriolus Traillii: Queen of Elusiveness

IMG_2459.jpg

I know this "IEM" [cmon, they gotta be headphones right?] has been under rather some intense heat lately due to its pricing and “hype-train”-but as I’ve noted in several posts, I feel the fluttering excitement is more of a testament to the incredible product that Oriolus has created rather than the crazy birdkeepers.

Infinity was the first IEM that I felt destroyed the mental barriers I had about how a specific driver was supposed to sound. The copper coil technology implemented for the balanced armatures gave it some unbelievable realism for low-level texture on instruments and vocals.

Traillii, in other ways, has continued to break those barriers for me. Firstly, the electrostats are incredibly detailed, controlled and well-extended. I cannot say that for many other electrostatic implementations, although the nod for other well-done electro hybrids go to Odin & Thummim for me. But, the more impressive parts are what the BAs do for the mids and bass. The realism of instruments through the lower to upper mid-range are organic, soulful, and airy. I never get the impression that I am listening to BAs for the midrange. Although, it is important to note that the mids are relatively laid-back (not recessed, just excellently extended in the vast depth of its staging)-so it likely will not suit those who prefer Erlky-levels of forward mids.

Furthermore, the BAs used for the bass are by far the best I have heard for that driver type. I have discussed this with several bird owners and it is mind boggling that those BAs are able to create such a convincing bass impact. It genuinely feels visceral. And yes, while it likely will not provide a genuine, authentic dynamic driver experience of the true air ripping effect, it instead comes across as more controlled and detailed, a tradeoff I more than welcome.

Although Traillii does an astounding job of balancing its excellent mids, bass, and world-class treble-we have not even discussed its strongest traits-resolution, soundstage, imaging, separation, and layering. In other words, Traillii is just a technical monster. A bird that looks nothing like how it performs. (That is probably why I customized mine to be carbon-fiber black. Subtle, but special). It is elusive in what should be capable from an IEM and from those drivers.

Traillii has close to surgical precision that allows you to pinpoint where each performer is on a large stage. Most impressively, Traillii plays notes with meaty weight, avoiding the common phenomena of thin notes for imaging precision, something I feel Odin struggles with (I swear, I DO like Odin overall!). It obviously helps that the Traillii has the largest stage width and depth I have heard from an IEM, with still top-tier height. This vast stage allows these thicker, precise notes to effortlessly accompany a spot on the stage without ever feeling congested.

Traillii’s resolution and detail-retrieval is also easy to take for granted, until you go back to another Summit-Fi IEM to compare and realize that all of a sudden that IEM sounds muddy in comparison. This happened to me when I went back to Infinity-I thought with the upper-mid boost, that Infinity’s detail retrieval was top tier, but all of a sudden it felt colored and semi-muddy in comparison. When listening to Traillii, you have a crystal-clear view into the song’s true potential-microdetail, separation, layering, balance, and timbre. In other words, if I want to hear new details in my favorite tracks without sacrificing musicality, I will easily pick up the Traillii over any other IEM.

Verdict: Trailii is the young musical prodigy that defies all odds. She learned to sing at age 4, play drums at age 6, play the trumpet at 7, and continue on by redefining what musical composition looks like for several genres. Her blend of musical gifts and articulate, technical mind puts her at the top of her craft as an inspiration for all. There are no barriers holding her back-but that in itself makes her elusive.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #669 of 8,052
Hey guys, sharing the Traillii mini-review part of my upcoming shootout. Figured it can help some folks on the fence about getting one or not. The actual future shootout will have the comparisons against Rhapsodio Supreme Mk2, Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2, and Vision Ears Erlkönig.

I know this "IEM" [cmon, they gotta be headphones right?] has been under rather some intense heat lately due to its pricing and “hype-train”-but as I’ve noted in several posts, I feel the fluttering excitement is more of a testament to the incredible product that Oriolus has created rather than the crazy birdkeepers.

Infinity was the first IEM that I felt destroyed the mental barriers I had about how a specific driver was supposed to sound. The copper coil technology implemented for the balanced armatures gave it some unbelievable realism for low-level texture on instruments and vocals.

Traillii, in other ways, has continued to break those barriers for me. Firstly, the electrostats are incredibly detailed, controlled and well-extended. I cannot say that for many other electrostatic implementations, although the nod for other well-done electro hybrids go to Odin & Thummim for me. But, the more impressive parts are what the BAs do for the mids and bass. The realism of instruments through the lower to upper mid-range are organic, soulful, and airy. I never get the impression that I am listening to BAs for the midrange. Although, it is important to note that the mids are relatively laid-back (not recessed, just excellently extended in the vast depth of its staging)-so it likely will not suit those who prefer Erlky-levels of forward mids.

Furthermore, the BAs used for the bass are by far the best I have heard for that driver type. I have discussed this with several bird owners and it is mind boggling that those BAs are able to create such a convincing bass impact. It genuinely feels visceral. And yes, while it likely will not provide a genuine, authentic dynamic driver experience of the true air ripping effect, it instead comes across as more controlled and detailed, a tradeoff I more than welcome.

Although Traillii does an astounding job of balancing its excellent mids, bass, and world-class treble-we have not even discussed its strongest traits-resolution, soundstage, imaging, separation, and layering. In other words, Traillii is just a technical monster. A bird that looks nothing like how it performs. (That is probably why I customized mine to be carbon-fiber black. Subtle, but special). It is elusive in what should be capable from an IEM and from those drivers.

Traillii has close to surgical precision that allows you to pinpoint where each performer is on a large stage. Most impressively, Traillii plays notes with meaty weight, avoiding the common phenomena of thin notes for imaging precision, something I feel Odin struggles with (I swear, I DO like Odin overall!). It obviously helps that the Traillii has the largest stage width and depth I have heard from an IEM, with still top-tier height. This vast stage allows these thicker, precise notes to effortlessly accompany a spot on the stage without ever feeling congested.

Traillii’s resolution and detail-retrieval is also easy to take for granted, until you go back to another Summit-Fi IEM to compare and realize that all of a sudden that IEM sounds muddy in comparison. This happened to me when I went back to Infinity-I thought with the upper-mid boost, that Infinity’s detail retrieval was top tier, but all of a sudden it felt colored and semi-muddy in comparison. When listening to Traillii, you have a crystal-clear view into the song’s true potential-microdetail, separation, layering, balance, and timbre. In other words, if I want to hear new details in my favorite tracks without sacrificing musicality, I will easily pick up the Traillii over any other IEM.

Verdict: Trailii is the young musical prodigy that defies all odds. She learned to sing at age 4, play drums at age 6, play the trumpet at 7, and continue on by redefining what musical composition looks like for several genres. Her blend of musical gifts and articulate, technical mind puts her at the top of her craft as an inspiration for all. There are no barriers holding her back-but that in itself makes her elusive.
Very well written. Excited for those comparions. (In the near future I hope 😄)

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #670 of 8,052
the full shootout is legendary :relieved:

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #671 of 8,052
Just tried C9 with the bird today.
Without C9, it feel like I am listening a headphone.
With C9, the bird sound like a headphone.
This combo fulfilled my early day dream when I listened to a Hifiman HE6 with speaker Amp. I hope one day I can replace the HE6+speaker Amp with a earphone where I can carry around by not limiting to a fix place.

I think I found my daydream now....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210402-181718_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210402-181718_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #672 of 8,052
Another good test track.
Bjork Crying, could easily be shrill, but to my ears it is not. Estat and balance.

off of Debut.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #673 of 8,052
Just tried C9 with the bird today.
Without C9, it feel like I am listening a headphone.
With C9, the bird sound like a headphone.
This combo fulfilled my early day dream when I listened to a Hifiman HE6 with speaker Amp. I hope one day I can replace the HE6+speaker Amp with a earphone where I can carry around by not limiting to a fix place.

I think I found my daydream now....
You mean you think that without the c9 you feel like you’re listening to an earphone?

the bird out of nearly any source sounds like a massively open headphone to me.

Would expect that with something like the c9, staging would improve even further.

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #674 of 8,052

IMG_2459.jpg

surgical precision that is what I also wrote in one of my comments - and crystal clear is another ..... and the rest you wrote I can absolutely confirm full heartedly.

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #675 of 8,052
You mean you think that without the c9 you feel like you’re listening to an earphone?

the bird out of nearly any source sounds like a massively open headphone to me.

Would expect that with something like the c9, staging would improve even further.

Yes. For the sound stage, the bird with LPGT Ti alone still sound like an earphone...comparable to C9/H2 +z1r.

However, C9+bird sound like a open headphone to me. Reminded me the experience of Hifiman that I used to owned, the HE6 or the one I recently tested last month...the HE1000se driven by Audio GD HE9 amp.

However, it's a short demo...I spend around 1.5 hours only with C9 + z1r & Traillii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back