Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 28, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #616 of 8,096
Kind of surprised that one was not sent to them for review, some kind of tour unit. Maybe it was and they are just backed up with other products. It would be cool to see the measurements and hear their opinion and impressions.
No need to risk it at this time. They are already selling way more than they expected. The buzz generated by current owners is enough. The last thing they need is for Crin to give it a B- rating and pan everything about it. We already know he is predisposed to hating anything over $2000. Just look at his response to the question of whether or not he would review it. It was something like, "there is no way I am giving $6000 to a product company to review their IEM."

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #617 of 8,096
FR curves do not tell you the sound of an IEM. They can explain certain aspects, but cannot tell us the timbre of the sound, soundstage, or if the bass is tight or loose as a few key examples.
This is true and it is these areas that really determine the difference between good and great products. But, a bad FR curve tells you a lot, too. But, a bad FR curve can be fixed with EQ. A small sound stage cannot.

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #618 of 8,096
There is absolutely nothing extraordinary about Traillii FR. I measured it last year back when I reviewed Traillii, but personally don't want it to go public because we all have different portable setups, with different couplers, different calibration, different compensation curves, etc. When you are comparing measurements, you want them to be from the same setup for consistency. Thus, I prefer to see Crin's measurement to be made public. But even if you see the measurement, there is nothing "magical" about it. I'm sure you can probably find other IEMs with nearly identical FR, and obviously sounding nothing like Traillii.

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #619 of 8,096
No need to risk it at this time. They are already selling way more than they expected. The buzz generated by current owners is enough. The last thing they need is for Crin to give it a B- rating and pan everything about it. We already know he is predisposed to hating anything over $2000. Just look at his response to the question of whether or not he would review it. It was something like, "there is no way I am giving $6000 to a product company to review their IEM."
I have some faith though that the reviewers would be unlikely to pan this set.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #620 of 8,096
From what I read, Oriolus don't provide demo unit to even local China shop. They adapt the strategy of "trust Oriolus tuning" + hype in this very niche market. Hence, targetting 20 units per year sales volume.

In short, they want us to trust our own ear rather than rely FR graph etc?

They might change the strategy now by increasing the price with better packaging for this niche international market....

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #621 of 8,096
From what I read, Oriolus don't provide demo unit to even local China shop. They adapt the strategy of "trust Oriolus tuning" + hype in this very niche market. Hence, targetting 20 units per year sales volume.

They might change the strategy now by increasing the price with better packaging for this niche international market....

Just curious, how many "local China shops" sell Traillii? I would assume if projected annual sales were that low, the distribution would be limited as well.

I see you have Traillii listed in your sig, did you audition it before buying it, to hear it with your own ears or did you buy it blindly because of feedback from everybody who praised it in this thread? I think you should always trust your own ears because that is how you hear the sound, by listening to it rather than looking at it :wink: But FR measurements are important as well, especially when you are doing a relative comparison.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #622 of 8,096
Just curious, how many "local China shops" sell Traillii? I would assume if projected annual sales were that low, the distribution would be limited as well.

I see you have Traillii listed in your sig, did you audition it before buying it, to hear it with your own ears or did you buy it blindly because of feedback from everybody who praised it in this thread? I think you should always trust your own ears because that is how you hear the sound, by listening to it rather than looking at it :wink: But FR measurements are important as well, especially when you are doing a relative comparison.
They sold 5 in this month in their Chinese online store, and I know at least 3 other local stores carrying the Traillii.

Attachments

• 07AE4D8C-253E-4718-BE09-032B7F837DA9.png
    07AE4D8C-253E-4718-BE09-032B7F837DA9.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #623 of 8,096
This is true and it is these areas that really determine the difference between good and great products. But, a bad FR curve tells you a lot, too. But, a bad FR curve can be fixed with EQ. A small sound stage cannot.
In order to compare FR curves they have to be created the exact same way and at the exact same db level. Too many people just look at curves and think they know the sound.

I agree if all conditions are met and the FR should show no response over 6k hz for example, that would be a bad curve. But I would hope we would have heard that as sounding bad. There have to be measurements that are more telling, but I do not know what they are.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #624 of 8,096

...wait, what’s more important than trusting our own ears?

virtually every single person I know who has top gear and has heard the traillii has instantly bought it.

I did the same. I find the traillii to be a true revelation for iems.

there’s nothing a curved line on a piece of paper will tell me (or you, or anyone) that’s anywhere near as important as what we hear ourselves.

try ‘em and see what you think!

:relieved:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #625 of 8,096
...wait, what’s more important than trusting our own ears?

virtually every single person I know who has top gear and has heard the traillii has instantly bought it.

I did the same. I find the traillii to be a true revelation for iems.

there’s nothing a curved line on a piece of paper will tell me (or you, or anyone) that’s anywhere near as important as what we hear ourselves.

try ‘em and see what you think!

:relieved:
In this price range, there is a segment of prestige buyers who will buy it because it is the most expensive iem on the market. Not saying anyone on this board is in that category, but it is a sizable segment for Asian iem companies.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #626 of 8,096

Well, my opinion based on few China 'headfi' forums.
Many of them have same reactions here:
1.) Complaint the high price
2.) Think they will pay for the 'knowledge fee' rather than the actual item price
3.) No test unit available

I bought it blindly and I don't know how to read FR measurements...lol
I read reviews and get feedback from those who have EE Odin and ier-z1r to 'understand' the Traillii sound signature.
It's a risky move....worst come to worst, I will sell it at some loss if I don't like it...

But Traillii is a keeper for me now :ksc75smile:

I did get your feedback for C9 as well in your website. But I will wait for the demo since it's available in my area.

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #627 of 8,096
...lol, just realized you already have it, @michaelc !

do you really still need a chart?

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #628 of 8,096
Here in Japan the two stores selling no longer accepts order for the Traillii. Not sure why, but it seems to have to do with the producer's behalf. It's said to be temporary though.

But one of the store still provides a demo unit. So now I'm currently listening to it with DX300 :)

It's especially beautiful with this song. The treble is simply too good 🤤

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #630 of 8,096
I think the bird has landed us both on the same page.

happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back