Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
May 8, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #6,511 of 8,024
I've had Elysian X for about a week now for a demo. Moving it on shortly. I really like it, especially when paired with RS6 + C9, but I much prefer Jewel and they occupy similar although slightly different signatures in a collection with the X being slightly more warm in its presentation with the Jewel having the better treble tuning for my liking. Similarly technically capable. I've decided that I am not going to acquire it. The Annihilator is on the way and there is a chance that I will like that one and buy it. For now, I am not going to buy a X

How do you find sub bass on Jewel vs X? I'm leaning towards Jewel mostly, hence the EXT listing! A slight concern for me with Jewel is it might lean too much on the technical side, and less to the emotive - probably unfounded but I'd like opinions... Traillii sits nicely between both for me, but Thunder has certainly given me a fantastic taste of Aroma Audio capability...

May 8, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #6,512 of 8,024
How do you find sub bass on Jewel vs X? I'm leaning towards Jewel mostly, hence the EXT listing! A slight concern for me with Jewel is it might lean too much on the technical side, and less to the emotive - probably unfounded but I'd like opinions... Traillii sits nicely between both for me, but Thunder has certainly given me a fantastic taste of Aroma Audio capability...
X has more subbass than Jewel. Both have better bass than Traillii to my ear. But, I may be an outlier. I think Jewel, X, EXT are all better than Traillii. DD bass is enough to make them all better than the Bird for me.

I wouldn't sell EXT yet before you've heard the Jewel if you are looking for a musical presentation of music. For bass oriented music, I much prefer EXT over Jewel I prefer Jewel for Classical music and Jazz were a reference sound tends to be more suitable.

May 8, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #6,513 of 8,024
X has more subbass than Jewel. Both have better bass than Traillii to my ear. But, I may be an outlier. I think Jewel, X, EXT are all better than Traillii. DD bass is enough to make them all better than the Bird for me.

I wouldn't sell EXT yet before you've heard the Jewel if you are looking for a musical presentation of music. For bass oriented music, I much prefer EXT over Jewel I prefer Jewel for Classical music and Jazz were a reference sound tends to be more suitable.

Yeah we definitely differ on Traillii and EXT - the latter to me is a significant step below the bird. Interesting to know though as it helps perspective on Jewel - for bass needs, Thunder certainly delivers, as does Z1R. Ideally I'd love to hear Jewel first, but not an option unfortunately - I'll have to spend more time considering.

BTW, Traillii bass suits a lot of my library, often where more sub bass required as opposed to a mid bass kick. I actually really love Traillii bass in the context of the genres I listen with.

May 8, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #6,514 of 8,024
Yeah we definitely differ on Traillii and EXT - the latter to me is a significant step below the bird. Interesting to know though as it helps perspective on Jewel - for bass needs, Thunder certainly delivers, as does Z1R. Ideally I'd love to hear Jewel first, but not an option unfortunately - I'll have to spend more time considering.

BTW, Traillii bass suits a lot of my library, often where more sub bass required as opposed to a mid bass kick. I actually really love Traillii bass in the context of the genres I listen with.
Sure, people who like Traillii bass are more likely to prefer it over Jewel. For me, DD bass and timbre are just better than BA bass and timbre. There are a lot of people with this preference. Others like the BA timbre and therefore its bass.

May 8, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #6,515 of 8,024
Thanks,
i am in contact with Andrew,already bought from him Red Halo Fe and Aroma Jewel that arrive next week,and in june i want to buy Traillii,and hope to finish my collection.

Jewel and Traillii have definitely a different sound signature and will be a wonderful couple, not overlapping at all IMHO.
As for the hope of finishing your collection...

May 8, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #6,516 of 8,024
Jewel and Traillii have definitely a different sound signature and will be a wonderful couple, not overlapping at all IMHO.
As for the hope of finishing your collection...

That's really great to hear - I love Traillii, and I prefer to think that if I buy Jewel, it will be complementary and I keep both.

May 8, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #6,517 of 8,024
I've heard some people talking about iems for jazz or classical rock... In my library this is not the most common music, but it is becoming more and more.
Traillii play metal very well, but at first glance simple recordings are revealed on them very well. And I don't know what other top iems offer, but I catch myself thinking that Traillii is a great option for me personally, which allows you to enjoy any music. They play all the music in my library perfectly. And it's never boring.
And for jazz as a source, I like this hot baby - ALO CDM with some interesting tubes.
IMG_20220509_005534.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #6,518 of 8,024
That's really great to hear - I love Traillii, and I prefer to think that if I buy Jewel, it will be complementary and I keep both.
I happened to read on Head-Fi that Traillii and Jewel would somehow overlap.
To me they seem rather different, and not only for the obvious differences in the BA vs DD bass / sub-bass, but also and noticeably in the mid-high and high range.
If I had to choose among my other IEMs the ones that come closest to the Jewel, I would choose the Odin, not the Traillii.

May 8, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #6,519 of 8,024
...with the Jewel having the better treble tuning for my liking.
what do you like better about the jewel's treble tuning vs. x?

I wasn't the biggest fan of the x; I do admit its treble is remarkably detailed and unusually smooth in its presentation (in a good way,) but I found the overall sound to be a bit too laid back, and not quite engaging enough. I also thought the dd bass was a bit lacking in texture.

really looking forward to hearing the jewel in the next couple of days...

May 9, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #6,520 of 8,024
To me they seem rather different, and not only for the obvious differences in the BA vs DD bass / sub-bass, but also and noticeably in the mid-high and high range.
If I had to choose among my other IEMs the ones that come closest to the Jewel, I would choose the Odin, not the Traillii.
I see you have Aroma,Traillii and also Fir XE6
I also have interest in this.

How you consider XE6 vs Aroma and Trillii?
Has similar quality with different tone or is worse and will listen very few having Aroma and Traillii?
Thanks

May 9, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #6,521 of 8,024
If you love the Traillii, Jewel is certainly different enough to warrant keeping them both if your wallet allows. Both exquisite, different personalities.

May 9, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #6,522 of 8,024
what do you like better about the jewel's treble tuning vs. x?

I wasn't the biggest fan of the x; I do admit its treble is remarkably detailed and unusually smooth in its presentation (in a good way,) but I found the overall sound to be a bit too laid back, and not quite engaging enough. I also thought the dd bass was a bit lacking in texture.

really looking forward to hearing the jewel in the next couple of days...
I really think you're going to like the Jewel. :)
It's very engaging, but smooth as silk too. Different stage, but equally impressive.

The difference in the highs is a shift in frequency. While the Traillii has the bump up high, giving sparkle and shimmer up top, the Jewel has the bump in the upper mids instead, giving it a bit of bite and clarity in the transients. Subtle enough, still smooth, very revealing. Higher up, the Jewel's high end is more neutral, perhaps even more analog without "adding" in the sparkle. The extension is just as wide and big, but it's more controlled.

I am not in any way saying one is better, it's only where they chose to highlight sonically. I found the sparkle on the Traillii to be too much for me sometimes, so I prefer the Jewel there. But the upper mid lift on Jewel can occasionally be a bit too much for me and I long for the smoother Traillii there.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #6,523 of 8,024
I see you decided to sell your Traillii. Are you buying the Red Halo?

I have been listening to the Traillii with the N8ii and this is a perfect pairing. I am finding it more even between Traillii and Red Halo with N8ii. With the N8ii, the Red Halo mids can be too forward at times at which time Traillii sounds better. So, with N8ii, I find them much more complementary.
This is helpful personally for me, thank you. I bought the N8ii from Andrew at CanJam and have been loving it with my custom Layla’s, but after recovering from that DAP purchase been thinking about “the best”. (I know, I know) synergistic portable pairing to take it to another level, beyond what I currently have. I do have a preference for customs, but I wanna try this at CanJam Chicago in a few months. I’ve accepted the idea of some tip rolling if I go this route, open to the idea based on the extensive options mentioned by many in the thread.

May 9, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #6,524 of 8,024
This is helpful personally for me, thank you. I bought the N8ii from Andrew at CanJam and have been loving it with my custom Layla’s, but after recovering from that DAP purchase been thinking about “the best”. (I know, I know) synergistic portable pairing to take it to another level, beyond what I currently have. I do have a preference for customs, but I wanna try this at CanJam Chicago in a few months. I’ve accepted the idea of some tip rolling if I go this route, open to the idea based on the extensive options mentioned by many in the thread.
I also own a custom Layla. I have not had it for awhile as I needed it to be adjusted. JH was kind enough to do that for me. And while I do like the Layla for what it is capable of doing, Traillii is just in a totally other class. I suspect you will be immediately smiling when you try the Traillii. Try some female vocals.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #6,525 of 8,024
💎+ft ofd…

:relieved:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back