Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jan 22, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #6,061 of 8,024
Oh, I also bought them all over the world. I ordered for my LPGT on the official website together with Dignis Borsa. Arca and Armin I bought in Hong Kong. A few more Arca in Japan.
Van Nuys also bought in Japan. I continue to buy) Maybe one day I will stop doing it))
Screenshot_20220123_011319_com.instagram.android-01.jpeg
Very nice collection of Van Nuys cases.

I love them. I just wish they were easier to buy.

Here are the ones I use the most:

Van Nuys IEM case.jpg
IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #6,062 of 8,024
I understand what you are talking about, but I will still express my position.
Dunu Luna buyers will curse me (where there is only a specially trained footman who would clean and install headphones - I think this annoyance was due to the abolition of slavery), but headphones are not bought for a set.

I have a lot of things in the collection and have been, but... But believe me, I didn't feel any better and the headphones didn't play any better than the fact that some company made a big colorful box. It lay in my closet just like the Bird's box. Is that less modest, because it took up more space. And I mentioned it (the box) only a few times, when I sometimes got it for a photo (I love it). Apart from the usual - when he bought the headphones and when he sold them.

I don't think Traillii buyers will be intimidated by the laconic kit.
After all, when people buy headphones for $ 6k and cables for $ 3, I think they can spend another 2-3% of that amount to buy the case in which they want to store those headphones.
Anyway, I don't regret buying a few Van Nuys and Dignis covers for this.

Would I like them to be included, as in Mason FS? Obviously, yes.
But did this fact affect my choice between these two models? Obviously not.
I was only kidding, bud. :relaxed:

I couldn't really care less about packaging (and I know not everyone agrees with this,) as long as the iem sounds incredible.

that said, nothing I've seen comes close to the erlkonig packaging :astonished:

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #6,063 of 8,024

I couldn't really care less about packaging (and I know not everyone agrees with this,) as long as the iem sounds incredible.

Yup. When the EA Centurion arrived in what seemed like a mini pallet, I took the cable out, shoved everything back into the crate and it’s all been sitting in the attic ever since. Truly, brands spend too much resources on TOTL (or wannabe) packaging on gears these days. I for one do not like being passed the buck on these OTT packaging for what are functional goods, not jewellery or some luxury items!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #6,064 of 8,024
Yup. When the EA Centurion arrived in what seemed like a mini pallet, I took the cable out, shoved everything back into the crate and it’s all been sitting in the attic ever since. Truly, brands spend too much resources on TOTL (or wannabe) packaging on gears these days. I for one do not like being passed the buck on these OTT packaging for what are functional goods, not jewellery or some luxury items!
Yet I'm pretty sure that packaging helped to convince you to spend crazy money on a cable? :)

It's similar with my erlkonig. The packaging is sitting in a cupboard somewhere, but it did contribute to my buying decision...😊

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #6,065 of 8,024
Yet I'm pretty sure that packaging helped to convince you to spend crazy money on a cable? :)

It's similar with my erlkonig. The packaging is sitting in a cupboard somewhere, but it did contribute to my buying decision...😊
On the contrary, I held back on getting the Centurion in the beginning because of the packaging. I didn't think a cable, or IEM or [insert your choice of gear here], worth its salt needed all that bells and whistles to sell. I eventually caved in reading the raving reviews that followed. If anything, it's the understated almost underground way that Peter used on the Orpheus that appeals infinitely more to me.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #6,066 of 8,024
On the contrary, I held back on getting the Centurion in the beginning because of the packaging. I didn't think a cable, or IEM or [insert your choice of gear here], worth its salt needed all that bells and whistles to sell. I eventually caved in reading the raving reviews that followed. If anything, it's the understated almost underground way that Peter used on the Orpheus that appeals infinitely more to me.
Interesting. I was lured into buying an Iliad in part due to its looks and packaging. It's part of the experience for me. Without the bells and whistles, the ludicrous price to cost ratio of high end cables would become an insurmountable hurdle for me. But to each his own, of course. :)

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #6,067 of 8,024
Interesting. I was lured into buying an Iliad in part due to its looks and packaging. It's part of the experience for me. Without the bells and whistles, the ludicrous price to cost ratio of high end cables would become an insurmountable hurdle for me. But to each his own, of course. :)
Ahh. Another reason why I have not gotten the Aeneid, not sure how Greek mythology factored so deeply into earphone cables but mostly, it's just too bling for me... 💎

[Edit: Oh and the whole unboxing experience — way over-rated to me. I’d much prefer a functional and protective case in a simple and small brown box thats says (to the wife) I am NOT an expensive toy. 🙄]

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #6,068 of 8,024
Suppose local availability and the need to ship can (sometimes) have a bearing when it comes to appreciation of packaging. Something like a Traillii in its box cost approx $50 with DHL to get it to my part of the world. If I take something larger (the Meze Elite as an example - packaging size of which some IEMs and, gulp, even cables, match) it cost approx $350!

Make it look pretty, make it solid, make it exotic, but please don’t case it up like it’s part of the Crown Jewels 🙃

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #6,069 of 8,024
Some lovely Sunday evening listening with the Bird off the Shanling M9. :)

AD1896A9-2482-45A1-805C-538D8375EFA1.jpeg

Jan 23, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #6,070 of 8,024
Very nice collection of Van Nuys cases.

I love them. I just wish they were easier to buy.

Here are the ones I use the most:

Van Nuys IEM case.jpgIMG_1316.jpg

Okay, challenge accepted. I have several. For headphones, for headphones and player (even with autograph) and a little smaller than yours, 6 sections.
The latter, as it turned out, for a cat. I did not know this, but the cat quickly explained it to me)
Screenshot_20220123_134112_com.instagram.android-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20220123_134202_com.instagram.android-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20220123_134313_com.instagram.android-01.jpeg

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #6,073 of 8,024

This gives a certain feeling of luxury, but in no way affects the user experience. Only creates expectations and mood. When everything around is good, then what should be good on the plate. However, I think you understand that this is not always true if you have had to taste a terribly tasteless dish, which still looks good. So the look is important when the content is not forgotten.

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #6,074 of 8,024
In the case of players, covers are included less and less. And I understand that.
Because in 90% of cases when it comes to the top, the kit will just lie down and wait until it is remembered when it's time to sell the device. To then lie down again.
Because the buyer will buy something like Dignis. After all, the job of a box or cover is to protect. But of course, when the price is high enough, the product is expected to be luxurious. And when the kit is modest, it gives the impression that something is missing. However, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. And I'm not worried about the Traillii set when they sing in my ears.

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #6,075 of 8,024
Suppose local availability and the need to ship can (sometimes) have a bearing when it comes to appreciation of packaging. Something like a Traillii in its box cost approx $50 with DHL to get it to my part of the world. If I take something larger (the Meze Elite as an example - packaging size of which some IEMs and, gulp, even cables, match) it cost approx $350!

Make it look pretty, make it solid, make it exotic, but please don’t case it up like it’s part of the Crown Jewels 🙃
And here you are also completely right!
I especially "like" Dr. Fang's boxes like the modern Hifiman R2R2000 packaging.
Only player and cable included. But under the second bottom of the place for 1.5-2 kg of smuggled cocaine))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back